way off ot--Congrats Coach K | Page 2 | The Boneyard

way off ot--Congrats Coach K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Been on this board for 5 minutes this morning and I've already learned that neither Coach K nor Tom Izzo are good coaches.

Reaction Score
OK Here is the magical Fishy question for the whole Boneyard.

What is the highest sports level you have ever played?

Would love to hear it.

Please tell us.

You are turning into a message board terrorist. Its a war you can't and will not win. Chill man, the season is 2 games in, plus this board does not have an ignore button. Stop terrorizing us please.

Reaction Score
The last time I checked K recruited Boozer, Dawkins, Jay Williams, Rivers, current Dawkins, Brand ,Avery Maggette etc. I believe these guys are black. Sure he has had a lot of white players but he has also had his share of excellent black players.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm not a K fan but I can't say he isn't a great coach. My favorite K stat - Final Four record v. UConn: 0-2.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I was there last night, for some reason. Garden was pretty electric.

I will say that watching that hugfest was much more tolerable because of the fact that WE ARE DEFENDING CHAMPIONS.

I was talking to some Duke fan and he was like "I hate UConn more than I hate UNC" and I said "well that's because we took 2 titles right out of your hand." Like every other Duke fan I say that to, he just looked sad and said "yup."

Lots of athletes, celebs there last night.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
OK Here is the magical Fishy question for the whole Boneyard.

What is the highest sports level you have ever played?

Would love to hear it.

Please tell us.
I'd love to know where you're going with this...I hope Fishy plays along.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
As a Duke graduate and a Devil's Den moderator, I can assure you that the overwhelming majority of Duke fans hate UNC more than than they hate UConn. For me, I get almost as much joy from a UNC loss as compared to a big Duke win.

Truth be told, there is something to the UConn "took 2 titles right out of [Duke's] hand." The 1999 game was built as a coronation, as only Cincinnati (Great Alaska Shootout) was able to really push Duke until Michigan State did it in the Final Four. But even then, Duke was the favorite, until UConn pulled off what many people believe to be a big upset.

As for 2004, I am not as sure. UConn, to me, was the prohibitive favorite. And we split with Georgia Tech that year, so there were no guarantees of a title. But having a relatively big lead late in the game and being unable to stop Emeka was crushing for me, no doubt. I do not think the title was as much as a "guarantee" in the sense that 1999 was, but it was a devastating loss, no doubt.

So from that perspective, the "hate" for UConn is because of these two losses on the biggest stage.

I agree with your statement about being the defending champions. At times, losing a recruit or a game last year was not as bitter simply because we still had the title of "defending champions."
I do not necessarily see the "hate" with respect to UConn, but I have had the opportunity to meet and hang out or speak on the phone with several Yarders (HuskyNan, EricSanDiego, UCBart, etc.) at various times (including the 2011 Fiesta Bowl). There is certainly a healthy level of competition, but there is also a level of respect for the accomplishments of the respective coaches and programs. I have posted on the Boneyard since 2002 or 2003 (when it was on the Rivals site). Except for some incidents in the early days, I have always been treated with respect as a visitor, and I have, in turn, tried to respond with respect and to demonstrate a level of class in my commentary.

By contrast, I have no such level of respect for UNC. :)

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I was there last night, for some reason. Garden was pretty electric.

I will say that watching that hugfest was much more tolerable because of the fact that WE ARE DEFENDING CHAMPIONS.

I was talking to some Duke fan and he was like "I hate UConn more than I hate UNC" and I said "well that's because we took 2 titles right out of your hand." Like every other Duke fan I say that to, he just looked sad and said "yup."

Lots of athletes, celebs there last night.

Nomar, in my post above, I was responding to you. I had to cut out quoting your post, as I believe I exceeded the limits for the number of words/characters by including your original post.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Nomar, in my post above, I was responding to you. I had to cut out quoting your post, as I believe I exceeded the limits for the number of words/characters by including your original post.

CC, fair points. I agree that most Duke fans would easily pick UNC as their most hated team -- no question. In fact, the guy I'm talking about was like "Believe it or not..."

As much as I hate Duke -- and I do hate Duke -- I count an ex-girlfriend and many friends as Duke alums and hardcore fans. They're usually pretty knowledgeable about CBB and respectful of what UConn has done. In fact, I'm not sure there's another fan base that's more respectful of UConn -- that's because while there's some resentment (and we did take a title out of your hands in 2004 -- you were minutes away from facing a creampuff in the title game), there's no envy. You've got 4 titles. All that said, I hate you and your stupid coach and stupid team. :)

Reaction Score
the root of all hate is jealousy. i have no hate for k,duke or its players past or present. that being said i never root for duke to win a game and enjoy every loss especially when they get knocked off in march.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
IMO JC is on the same level as Izzo and coach K. Different people have different lists of who are the best coaches and we each offer various parameters to back up our preferences. But this argument is subjective and many if not most lists would have these three coaches in the top twenty of coaches.

What "bothers" me is the exposure coach K and Izzo get relative to what I perceive JC gets in the media, particularly coach K.

A lot of that has to do with JC himself. He communicates poorly and has a combative relationship with the media. So he is not a poster boy coach or media darling.

I could care less. JC has only one person he has to satisfy when it comes to his bb accomplishments, and that's himself. It's nice to be recognized by fans and your peers, and if people remove any perceived bias's towards the man and examine his record and what he has done with the UConn men's bb program, he gets the recognition he deserves.

That's really all that matters.

I'm not a fan of K. But I respect what he's accomplished. I root for his team to lose, and far too often I end up disappointed. I'm sure there are many people like me. And that is evidence of his success.

The same applies to JC, Many fans root for him to lose and many are disappointed. Not many people care if the Columbia coach loses.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Why does K need the extra fluffing? Jackie Mac just said (and I've heard this often), " He went to Duke in 1980 when it was next to nothing..." Next to nothing? They went to the Finals in 1978 and had the pre-season #1 team in 1979. One bad year when the coach had a heart attack made the program next to nothing?

Reaction Score
IMO JC is on the same level as Izzo and coach K. Different people have different lists of who are the best coaches and we each offer various parameters to back up our preferences. But this argument is subjective and many if not most lists would have these three coaches in the top twenty of coaches.

What "bothers" me is the exposure coach K and Izzo get relative to what I perceive JC gets in the media, particularly coach K.

A lot of that has to do with JC himself. He communicates poorly and has a combative relationship with the media. So he is not a poster boy coach or media darling.

I could care less. JC has only one person he has to satisfy when it comes to his bb accomplishments, and that's himself. It's nice to be recognized by fans and your peers, and if people remove any perceived bias's towards the man and examine his record and what he has done with the UConn men's bb program, he gets the recognition he deserves.

That's really all that matters.

I'm not a fan of K. But I respect what he's accomplished. I root for his team to lose, and far too often I end up disappointed. I'm sure there are many people like me. And that is evidence of his success.

The same applies to JC, Many fans root for him to lose and many are disappointed. Not many people care if the Columbia coach loses.

I agree wholeheartedly. JC doesn't really care what the media thinks, while the Calamaries of the world pay more attention to stroking the media than actually coaching. A telling comment from JC's SNY interview played after the game the other night was, "perception is what other people think of you, but character is how you think of yourself." He then made it clear that it's only character which matters (Calamari's head exploded when he heard that something other than perception even existed).

Reaction Score
Then why do I hate Pitt, hmmm????

Haha, great point. I take it you wouldn't rather have a ceremony to hang your Big East Regular Season Champion banner instead of your BET and NC banners?

Reaction Score
Calhoun and K are the best two coaches in the game. Boeheim, Izzo, and Roy are next.

Reaction Score
I have lots of gay friends so it should be a reasonable assumption that I am ok with dook and their fan base- but that is not the case. While I agree they are a very knowledgable fan base and I have some friends who are dook fans (although we part ways during basketball season) it was their behavior during the 1999 FF that put me over the top.

Simply put they were awful. The "F" & C K" UCONN UCONN UCONN chants pretty much summed up my experience with them. I will say this- the MSU fans were worse. As far as boards go their board is fine as long as you are respectful- which I always am on other teams boards.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Simply put they were awful. The "F" & C K" UCONN UCONN UCONN chants pretty much summed up my experience with them. I will say this- the MSU fans were worse. As far as boards go their board is fine as long as you are respectful- which I always am on other teams boards.

I didn't remember it that way. IIRC, they followed every Big Red cheer with U-S-U-C-K etc. Lame, but not horrible. MSU fans can all die as far as I'm concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom