Way Ot - Cl&p | The Boneyard

Way Ot - Cl&p

Status
Not open for further replies.

connectikev

RIP, Kev (3/4/2018)
Reaction Score
CL&P sticking to their story that they will have 99% of CT customers power restored by Sunday midnight. I officially call BS on this - watching, mostly, just my town, Enfield, they have failed to make any sizable dent in the number of customers restored within the past 30 hours (from 11.4k still out down to 10.6k still out).
I cannot imagine a more poorly handled situation as the CL&P cheif spokesman continues to double talk and to backtrack over previous statements. I have been without power for 6 nights and days and anticipate that they will fail miserably in their stated "wish" too restore 99% by Sunday midnight.
I sincerely hope that they get called onto the carpet for their policy decisions to pay Irene contractors Net 90 as well as failing to pony up money to reserve outside contractors in advance of the storm.
Not sure what Governor Malloy will do (as he has mentioned that he "wouldn't want to be CL&P, should they miss their stated deadline") but I imagine that CL&P will have to make some changes within their organization at a minumum. (though that might just be for appearances sake.
Perhaps I too, can put CL&P on Net 90 terms............

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
From the outside, it does not look good.

I see that UL basically has everyone back up and running and CL&P is still in chaos.

I live in a county that borders Connecticut, north of 84. We had about 125,000 households without power after the storm. Our power was back on Tuesday - as of yesterday, they had cleared the decks and everyone was back up.

I saw trucks from our utility, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio, etc. They also had an iPhone app and website that was operating in near real-time to provide updates down to the neighborhood level. They had their s*** down.

Just across the NY/CT border....darkness.

Reaction Score
What is the over under on how long the CL&P guy, butler, lasts once thid mess ends? I say 90 days max.

Reaction Score
Kevin, I think that statewide they have made tremendous progress in the last 36 hours. I know that if you don't have power you don't care but that map of theirs is looking much better. Not to be a CL&P apologist, but I drove up to Glastonbury yesterday and was blown away by the number of trees that were down. Just breathtaking. I'm sure our legislators will investigate this down to the last detail and waste a bunch of time and money trying to prevent it from happening again ( your two suggestions would be good places to start). So far, several town managers, mayors, etc. are calling BS on their estimates as well. One guy last night just called the liars. he said " they tell me one thing and an hour later I find out it's a lie. They just keep lying to me".

I had to laugh ( okay I didn't laugh I said bad words) when we got our post Irene bill from them. We had been without power for a week. The little meter didn't have anything to read for a week , yet our bill was higher than the same period last year and the previous month. Must be some new kind of math.

Reaction Score
From the outside, it does not look good.

I see that UL basically has everyone back up and running and CL&P is still in chaos.

I live in a county that borders Connecticut, north of 84. We had about 125,000 households without power after the storm. Our power was back on Tuesday - as of yesterday, they had cleared the decks and everyone was back up.

I saw trucks from our utility, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio, etc. They also had an iPhone app and website that was operating in near real-time to provide updates down to the neighborhood level. They had their s*** down.

Just across the NY/CT border....darkness.
This is information that folks need to hear Fish. I expect to see your shining face at the, sure to be incessant, hearings the CT legislature will hold over the next year. ( taking time off to campaign of course).

Reaction Score
Kevin, I think that statewide they have made tremendous progress in the last 36 hours. I know that if you don't have power you don't care but that map of theirs is looking much better. Not to be a CL&P apologist, but I drove up to Glastonbury yesterday and was blown away by the number of trees that were down. Just breathtaking. I'm sure our legislators will investigate this down to the last detail and waste a bunch of time and money trying to prevent it from happening again ( your two suggestions would be good places to start). So far, several town managers, mayors, etc. are calling BS on their estimates as well. One guy last night just called the liars. he said " they tell me one thing and an hour later I find out it's a lie. They just keep lying to me".

I had to laugh ( okay I didn't laugh I said bad words) when we got our post Irene bill from them. We had been without power for a week. The little meter didn't have anything to read for a week , yet our bill was higher than the same period last year and the previous month. Must be some new kind of math.
When I left for work, our part of town (South Windsor) didn't look any different than it did the past few days. I usually traveled down one of the main roads (Avery Street) at night, but as I traveled it this morning, I was alarmed to see some very large branches hanging by a thread over this heavily traveled road. The only trucks I've seen in and around our neighborhood were private contractors hired by home owners. I'll be shocked if CL&P gets our neighborhood up and running. They'll need multiple crews with tons of bucket trucks to clear the roads, cut down dangerous hanging limbs and put up all the wires, not to mention at least one pole that was completely snapped at the top.

I have a running generator, so we've had heat, lights and even our DVD & TV. We're beginning to run out of clothes since we can probably do a wash but no dryer. I'm also getting a big cranky missing all my favorite TV shows. Yeah, I'm pampered. Many have it so much worse. Nonetheless, it does anger many to be a day away from one week and not see find CL&P trucks or even hired contractors anywhere in site. I realize the damage was widespread, but based on all the reports, the state needed many more workers and trucks deployed throughout to get power back to us Nutmeggers.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score

Well, my house is still in the dark in Glastonbury, but there has been some recent progress....hoping power back tomorrow. The trees have just been devastated...still trees blocking part of fairly major roads. The amount of destruction was incredible...multiple trees damaged in every yard.

Having grown up in the Midwest where the power lines were underground, the solution is rather obvious. It looks so much better without all the freakin wires everywhere, but in this economy, it will probably be a long time coming.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
They have this numer you can text your zipcode to, and then they spin the magic number wheel and come up with how many customers in your town are without power. Mine starts every day low and finishes high. WTF, they got guys out there beaking what the night crew fixed?

Reaction Score
Well when headed home from work, I began to see a lot of bucket trucks in our area. Lo and behold they are out in force throughout my neighborhood and some streets are slowly getting their power back. I spoke with one of the guys who seems to be in charge and he said that they will be clearing the street (I assume debris, limbs, getting some wires back up) tonight and will begin the line work tomorrow. It makes sense to begin the line work tomorrow since there are so many lines down.

So maybe I'll be proven wrong and they'll actually get our street powered by Sunday night.

Reaction Score
From viewing news reports following Irene and the pre-Halloween storm and the CL&P vs UI geographical coverage maps, it's not too surprising UI bounced back sooner than CL&P from the snow storm. That doesn't explain all of the repair delays following either storm, but do companies and people have to pay for unavailable utilities? What happens when/if people decline to pay for such inaccessible services?

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
My power came back today. But I was up in the NW corner of the state today -- Sharon, West Cornwall, Falls Village, etc. There are still tons of downed powerlines and huge trees laying across the lines along Rte 7, and the local roads are still pretty much a disaster up there.

I talked to one of the line crew guys from Alabama, and he said they'd never seen such a lack of tree trimming.

Reaction Score
So did I - in N NJ. The Plymouth Plantation experience is over for now. Now time to look for a serious standby generator. The grequency of 1-in-a-100-year events is alarmingly high. And 12/21/12 is just around the corner!

Reaction Score
Grow up. I just got power back today. You're all babies.
You have power? You're a soft bitch. Grow up.

It appears that west Hartford is going to be the big loser in all of this which kinda blows my mind. Still no power and I still have a power line down in my front lawn. F me...

temery

What?
Reaction Score
National grid handles service in my town in mass. I have no problem with those who are working to restore power. I do have a problem with their (national grid) being unable (not willing) to minimize these problems.

I've had trees/branches hanging over lines on my street for years, and they have done nothing. A little preventative maintenance would have gone a long way.

CL&P sticking to their story that they will have 99% of CT customers power restored by Sunday midnight. I officially call BS on this - watching, mostly, just my town, Enfield, they have failed to make any sizable dent in the number of customers restored within the past 30 hours (from 11.4k still out down to 10.6k still out).
I cannot imagine a more poorly handled situation as the CL&P cheif spokesman continues to double talk and to backtrack over previous statements. I have been without power for 6 nights and days and anticipate that they will fail miserably in their stated "wish" too restore 99% by Sunday midnight.
I sincerely hope that they get called onto the carpet for their policy decisions to pay Irene contractors Net 90 as well as failing to pony up money to reserve outside contractors in advance of the storm.
Not sure what Governor Malloy will do (as he has mentioned that he "wouldn't want to be CL&P, should they miss their stated deadline") but I imagine that CL&P will have to make some changes within their organization at a minumum. (though that might just be for appearances sake.
Perhaps I too, can put CL&P on Net 90 terms............

Reaction Score
This is one 1% that I want no part of. Will cl and p be given a blank check for tree trimming after this? Will our rates triple? Will cl and p be put in jail for crimes against humanity? Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
When this whole thing shakes out I predict that they will find some elderly people dead in their homes. It's been in the low 20's overnight and many elderly don't even have cell phones, many no fireplaces and no wood.

Reaction Score
In Texas they trim the trees by the lines like crazy, but they but her the hell out of them. I have seen gorgeous live oaks cut to hell and end up looking hideous. I you want your tree trimmed how you would like it to look, get it done yourself

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
Cl&P told me today that they will get around to coming and untangle all the wires that are still laying in my yard then we have to hire an electrition to come and reconnect them to the house, and then we will eventually get power to the street. :mad:

Reaction Score
What is the over under on how long the CL&P guy, butler, lasts once thid mess ends? I say 90 days max.
Wait until you see his (golden) parachute before making bets like this.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I'll be shorting CL&P on my next payment.

But hey, my goal is to send 99% of it to them by midnight 8 days after it's due. That should be acceptable.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I know someone who's working on storm restoration hand-in-hand with CL&P. He told me CL&P is putting up the crews working in the Avon/Simsbury/Bloomfield/Farmington area in the Avon Old Farms hotel, 2 to a room, for $275 a night and they're getting a company credit card with an unlimited spending amount for dinner. Anyone wonder why our rates are increasing?

Reaction Score
Its no fun being without power, I went 8 days with Irene. I was on the highway last week (Wednesday I believe) and I saw a huge convoy of utility trucks going north on 95 towards New Haven and beyond. I thought that this would be the rescue effort of all time. Apparently not, but what is concerning is to know that our utility companies are not prepared for disasters, yet they sure charge as if they need the extra rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom