Watching the WNBA game | The Boneyard

Watching the WNBA game

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
LA vs Tulsa

Parker grabbed a rebound and led the break. The announcer said the usual, the Parker is the only player her size capable of doing that. We hear this over and over.

Well, EDD can and has done this in the WNBA this year. She also did it often in college.

What brought a smile to my face is that the third player that comes to mind is still in college and only starting her sophomore season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Parker can lead the break, but I'd rather see her get the ball to her PG then get a return pass and finish. She negates her height advantage by leading the break. There's a difference between what one CAN do and what one SHOULD do.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I don't know....LA looks like a well oiled machine, and Parker is getting her fair share of points as is Toliver. They are doing a great job using the inside out game against Tulsa. Diggins has woken up and scored some threes, her shooting at the basket makes me laugh because she continues to throw up prayers every time. LA looks good. They are playing the Merc next week on ESPN (Thursday), I am looking forward to that game.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Parker can lead the break, but I'd rather see her get the ball to her PG then get a return pass and finish. She negates her height advantage by leading the break. There's a difference between what one CAN do and what one SHOULD do.

Guards could be anywhere -- across the court, in the corner, etc.

When I watch Parker (like tonight) and she has the ball on the break it's because the ball has found its way to her off a steal, a tip, a rebound or what have you. She's fast with the ball and can push it. She forces the defender to play her to take it all the way so she can dump it off easily if she wants to (like she did to KT a few mins ago).

Bottom line: she is not a traditional post that needs to stand there and look around for her PG when break opportunities present themselves. She is effective doing what she does. She is great with or without the ball, transition or half court.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Yes Parker can bring the ball up. I am glad the Sparks singed Harding. A true point guard that was needed.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
LA vs Tulsa

Parker grabbed a rebound and led the break. The announcer said the usual, the Parker is the only player her size capable of doing that. We hear this over and over.

Well, EDD can and has done this in the WNBA this year. She also did it often in college.

What brought a smile to my face is that the third player that comes to mind is still in college and only starting her sophomore season.

Hopefully the next one, A'ja, will be committing soon. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Stewie is not at Parker's or EDD's level yet, but she has amazing potential. A major difference between Breanna and those two (and other tall players) is that she has very, very long arms that allow her to keep her dribble low. I've seen Parker give up steals to guards numerous times because the ball is too high.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Guards could be anywhere -- across the court, in the corner, etc.

When I watch Parker (like tonight) and she has the ball on the break it's because the ball has found its way to her off a steal, a tip, a rebound or what have you. She's fast with the ball and can push it. She forces the defender to play her to take it all the way so she can dump it off easily if she wants to (like she did to KT a few mins ago).

Bottom line: she is not a traditional post that needs to stand there and look around for her PG when break opportunities present themselves. She is effective doing what she does. She is great with or without the ball, transition or half court.
If she has the ball at the right spot on the court, I think it's fine, but I'd still rather have her get the shot attempt rather than a possible assist. If she dishes to Harding at the last minute, Lindsey might get her shot blocked. If she gives it to Lindsey and then gets it back, Candace's shot will not be blocked.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I will say I've been impressed with EDD. I think that Parker may have more speed. EDD has a real good skill level. Yes I agree that if she continues to improve. That Stewart will be one of the best ever to play. One more name to mention Russell. She has guard skills. At times Coach Wagner at times ran her at the point.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I will say I've been impressed with EDD. I think that Parker may have more speed. EDD has a real good skill level. Yes I agree that if she continues to improve. That Stewart will be one of the best ever to play. One more name to mention Russell. She has guard skills. At times Coach Wagner at times ran her at the point.

Yeah, the HS coach player her 6'5" center at the point at times.

Too funny. Sad thing is you really believe this and think it matters.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I saw this in Slam Online article. http://www.slamonline.com/online/th...3/07/mercedes-russell-tennessee-volunteers/#4
Russell has had no trouble adjusting to her height, adding an array of mid-range and post moves and “a little jump shot,” and polishing her face-up game, which is where she feels most comfortable. She cites do-anything players like Parker and Kobe Bryant as primary influences, and that sense of being well-rounded is reflected by the fact that even last season Wagner would occasionally assign his All-American post player to run the point. “That way,” the coach says, “it was harder for teams to double- and triple-team her.”

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I saw this in Slam Online article. http://www.slamonline.com/online/th...3/07/mercedes-russell-tennessee-volunteers/#4
Russell has had no trouble adjusting to her height, adding an array of mid-range and post moves and “a little jump shot,” and polishing her face-up game, which is where she feels most comfortable. She cites do-anything players like Parker and Kobe Bryant as primary influences, and that sense of being well-rounded is reflected by the fact that even last season Wagner would occasionally assign his All-American post player to run the point. “That way,” the coach says, “it was harder for teams to double- and triple-team her.”

Occasionally running the point? All he did was have her bring the ball up so she had the ball and wouldn't need someone to pass her the ball.

She won't sniff the backcourt, the wing, and for the most part the power forward for Tennessee.

She's good. but this thread is about Stewart, who is REALLY good.

U

UCONNfan1

Occasionally running the point? All he did was have her bring the ball up so she had the ball and wouldn't need someone to pass her the ball.

She won't sniff the backcourt, the wing, and for the most part the power forward for Tennessee.

She's good. but this thread is about Stewart, who is REALLY good.
Charde Houston used to bring the ball up the court on occasion when UCONN struggled with the full court press. I guess that means she's got PG skills too.

The interesting thing is that for all the hoopla Tennessee fans seem to surround Russell with, she's NEVER dominated any of the USA teams she's played on. In fact, her latest team effort came in 2012 where she was 4th in scoring behind Reimer, Greenwell, and Deshields. Even more stunning is that she was 2nd in rebounding.

I'm sure she will be a fine player in college. Maybe even really good. But there are top players coming out of HS (1 or 2) like Taurasi, Catchings, Parker, Charles, Moore, Griner, Ogwumike, KML, EDD, and Stewie, vs. #1-2 players like Bjorkland, Ely, Robinson, etc. It remains to be seen what kind of "top 2" player Russell turns out to be.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I had a friend who used to bring them right up the middle of the court 10 at a time. Then one day the wheel on the cart broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom