Washington Mystics @ Los Angeles Sparks - 7/07/18 | The Boneyard

Washington Mystics @ Los Angeles Sparks - 7/07/18

Reaction Score
eddviol.jpg

Reaction Score
LA and Minnesota are both struggling with consistency. I'm not sure what's the problem with the Sparks. The age of the veterans for the Lynx is starting to show. Whalen, Augustus and Brunson are still very good players but none of them are playing a high level constantly enough to get wins. Maya's had some off games too.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
LA and Minnesota are both struggling with consistency. I'm not sure what's the problem with the Sparks. The age of the veterans for the Lynx is starting to show. Whalen, Augustus and Brunson are still very good players but none of them are playing a high level constantly enough to get wins. Maya's had some off games too.

Sparks are struggling right now but I think they can turn it around. Each of the last two years they've had dry spells and then put it together in the playoffs. Parker has been inconsistent, but when she is at her best, LA can comfortably beat anyone. Minnesota might be past its prime....Maya has been up and down the last couple of years after some really dominating seasons. Fowles is great, but the other three starters haven't been up to par on a regular basis. I still think they can put it together and make another finals run. Playoffs this year should be incredibly exciting and unpredictable.

Reaction Score
What a difference a good draft year makes. Mystics drafted the same position (SG) two years straight

2018 ATKINS 7th, 1st rd
2017 Walker-Kimbrough 6th, 1st rd

Today’s game:
ATKINS 28 min, 17 pts, +19
W. Kimbrough 0 min

Were 6 SG’s taken in 2017 1st round
Only one starts. Only 3 play much.
4. Grey
6. W-Kimbrough
7. Sykes
9. Jankoska
10. K. Davis
12. A.Jones

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sparks are struggling right now but I think they can turn it around. Each of the last two years they've had dry spells and then put it together in the playoffs. Parker has been inconsistent, but when she is at her best, LA can comfortably beat anyone. Minnesota might be past its prime....Maya has been up and down the last couple of years after some really dominating seasons. Fowles is great, but the other three starters haven't been up to par on a regular basis. I still think they can put it together and make another finals run. Playoffs this year should be incredibly exciting and unpredictable.
I agree with some things, but not others.

I agree that the playoffs should be unpredictable and exciting. This is the most parity I can recall.

I think that when Parker is at her best, they can beat anyone. I’m not in agreement with the “comfortably” part.

This “dry spell” for L.A. looks worse than past ones. They are only 12-8. Parker, Nneka, and Gray are playing well, but all have played better in other years. Lavender has played much better. They have lost home games and away games to inferior teams.

Maya’s game is affected by Sylvia’s presence. Maya is more effective with a passer at the high post. Sylvia draws the defense and clogs the lane, so cuts to the hoop are rarer. That said, I do think that Maya’s game may have dropped a little, but I’m not sure why.

Of the other Minny starters, Whalen seems to have lost the most. Seimone and Brunson have occasional good performances. Maya and Syl are in their prime. The other 3 are not.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I agree with some things, but not others.

I agree that the playoffs should be unpredictable and exciting. This is the most parity I can recall.

I think that when Parker is at her best, they can beat anyone. I’m not in agreement with the “comfortably” part.

This “dry spell” for L.A. looks worse than past ones. They are only 12-8. Parker, Nneka, and Gray are playing well, but all have played better in other years. Lavender has played much better. They have lost home games and away games to inferior teams.

Maya’s game is affected by Sylvia’s presence. Maya is more effective with a passer at the high post. Sylvia draws the defense and clogs the lane, so cuts to the hoop are rarer. That said, I do think that Maya’s game may have dropped a little, but I’m not sure why.

Of the other Minny starters, Whalen seems to have lost the most. Seimone and Brunson have occasional good performances. Maya and Syl are in their prime. The other 3 are not.

When LA won the title in 2016, they had a stretch when they went 4-7 very late in the year. They are on a 1-5 stretch now with a very similar roster to the runner up team a year ago. None of Gray/Parker/Ogwumike appear to be slowing down at all, Beard is still a fantastic defender and Sims can be very good when she is playing well. I still think they can take the title this year if they regroup and peak at the right time. Talent wise they’re right there with Seattle and Phoenix, among others.

Biggest difference between 2017 and 2018 is the rest of the pack is a lot stronger. Seattle and Phoenix are playing to their potential, Washington looks better, and teams like Minnesota and Washington are dangerous.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks. I didn’t realize that L.A. was as bad as 4-7 over a stretch in 2016, but I expected them to be 28-6 this year. They are 12-8 now. They need to go 10-4 to get momentum. I’m unsure they can do that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom