Washington DC things to do | The Boneyard

Washington DC things to do

Reaction Score
Hi,

Wife and I are going for four nights Mar 18 - March 21. It might be on early side for Cherry Blossoms. Lots of museums in DC, what else is fun to do? Thanks!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Eat. While DC doesn't have the food rep of NY/LA/SF/Chi, that most every country has an embassy there means most every country has a restaurant there, and sometimes very good ones. If you can think of some obscure cuisine you've always wanted to try but haven't yet, now's the time.

Adams Morgan is still a go-to for food IMO, especially if you're just there for a couple days. Wild mix of ethnic places. It's close to the zoo, too. Fun neighborhood to walk around. Red Line gets you there, no need to Uber. Georgetown area also worth a stroll, start around M Street & Wisconsin. Some good small places for a drink or bite there too. It's gotten somewhat overrun with national brand stores, but it's still charming. If you like Newbury St. in Boston, you'll probably like Wisconsin.

You can definitely get museumed out, but pretty much anything Smithsonian will be worthwhile. I lived in Alexandria for a couple years and there are still museums I haven't visited but wanted to like the Hirshhorn and Spy Museum. But even just walking around the Mall is an experience, with all the monuments.

If you're squeamish about stepping over homeless people, avoid DuPont Circle area.

If you're around the Capitol, wifey might like visiting Eastern Market on Capitol Hill. I haven't been since it burned down in the mid 00s, but they rebuit and it's an interesting vibe over there. Even I always end up buying something weird and unique.

If you were there for a week, I'd suggest Arlington and a day trip to Annapolis, but with just 2-3 days, you'll have plenty to see/do without leaving DC proper. Have fun.

Reaction Score
DC is a great place to visit, outside of the dog days of July and August and when any big political event is taking place.

The Smithsonian Museums are, of course, great. If you don't have kids, you may have the time and quiet needed to visit the National Gallery of Art. The American History Museum is fascinating; but, I think it needs a refresh. I actually prefer the Air & Space Museum Annex located out by Dulles over the one on the Mall. The Holocaust is also an insightful one to visit.

The Capitol tour is still good, though one needs to plan in advance and ditto the White House tour, which you have to book months ahead. I've also been fascinated by the Library of Congress and seeing the Constitution at the National Archives is always a treat.

The privately run Newsuem unfortunately closed, political commentary about a museum dedicated to the Free Press closing aside, my kids really liked it.

While not on the Mall, the National Zoo, which is accessible via the Metro, is also good.

Outside of Museums, just walking around the Mall, Washington Monument (book way ahead), Lincoln Memorial, The Wall, Jefferson Memorial, FDR Memorial, WWII Memorial, etc. is great (and free).

Of course, the Pentagon tours and Arlington National Cemetery are just across the river.

DC also has some good sport venue and in early March you should be able to catch the Caps (hockey) or Wizards (basketball) or DC United (soccer); but, no Nationals (baseball), yet. The city also has some good theaters for shows and music.

My last time there, even took the kids on a Duck Boat tour, which was fun, especially as the truck/boat enters the Potomac near Regan Airport and you get commercial airliners flying about 200 foot over one's head.

If you want a non-care break for an evening of good food, downtown Alexandria, which is off the Metro, is a great place to check-out, also.

Reaction Score
I lived in DC for 5 years. My number 1 food rec is Ambar on barraks row in capital hill

Reaction Score
Wow, I looked up Ambar restaurant and the reviews are phenomenal, prices are great too. They have a fixed price all you can eat, all you can drink (some kind of thing like this) that isn't too expensive- $35? And they serve small plates like tapas. BUT- it is closed for renovation from late January to early April this year! I'm going to miss it on this trip!
But we are staying in Capitol Hill area and I'll try the pizza there- We the Pizza is almost the closest restaurant to us, and their pizza is supposed to be pretty good.

Reaction Score
Wow, I looked up Ambar restaurant and the reviews are phenomenal, prices are great too. They have a fixed price all you can eat, all you can drink (some kind of thing like this) that isn't too expensive- $35? And they serve small plates like tapas. BUT- it is closed for renovation from late January to early April this year! I'm going to miss it on this trip!
But we are staying in Capitol Hill area and I'll try the pizza there- We the Pizza is almost the closest restaurant to us, and their pizza is supposed to be pretty good.

I lived in Capital Hill. I‘ll get you some recs.

for now, I’ll leave you with this; We the Pizza is fine but if you’re used to Connecticut Pizza you might be a little less than impressed. Still a fun spot, though!

Last edited:

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Something I haven't done but hope to go is to visit George Washington's Mount Vernon estate and Thomas Jefferson's Monticello estate (Charlottesville, VA).

Reaction Score
I lived in DC for 3 or 3.5 years and explored the ins and outs of the city extensively. Here is a list of off the beaten path things you can see that are quite cool too.:

Note, this is for people who are visiting for the first time and want off the beaten trail or those who already know the city and especially for those who plan to live there long term. You can never run out of things to do in DC!

Rock Creek Park - A sprawling park in the NW. If you want green and nature in the city, you can spend hours here.

Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens - More green space in the city! Many people don't know about these gardens which is a huge shame because they are breathtaking as far as city green spaces are concerned.

Post office museum - Literally right next to Union Station but often missed by tourists which is a shame, because it is a cool museum.

Art Museum of the Americas - Tends to be missed despite its location. It contains work from Latin Americans who relocated to the USA.

Old Post office pavilion - Not sure if this is still open to tourists, but provides some underrated views of the city and is an interesting relic from the past. (edit: reading this is closed)

National Cathedral - Stunning architecture, this church often is missed because there is not really a metro nearby. Maybe a 15 minute walk from Tenleytown metro and/or 5-minute bus or 20-minute walk from Woodley Park metro through gorgeous neighborhoods filled with embassies. Once you are at the Cathedral, don't miss Bishops Garden! I am not sure if you need to pay to get in the Cathedral, that is what I heard. But when I lived there, it was free.

Theodore Roosevelt Island - A perfect addition to Georgetown. There is not really a metro that goes to Town, the closest is Dupont and that requires a 15 minute walk to get to Gtown. The same goes for the island, with the closest being Rosslyn, with a 15 or so minute walk required from there, or just tack it on to your visit to Gtown and walk the 15 or so minutes, as this green space is highly worth it!

Saint Elizabeths hospital - If you are into the macabre, you can actually book a tour of this rundown hospital. At least I did when I lived there. Quite interesting, in the SE of DC.

The Waterfront in SW DC - A beautiful walk on warm days.

America University Art Gallery - Again, the closest metro is Tenleytown but if you are visiting the National Cathedral, this is a nice addition before/after, to extend the trip to this part of upper NW. After seeing this gallery and the cathedral, it is an easy walk to the zoo in Woodley Park through beautiful streets.

Frederick Douglas House - A great slice of DC history in the SE, this, along with the Post Office Pavillion, provides some of the most underrated views in DC.

National Harbor - Quite a bit out of the way, requiring a metro/bus combo, but an interesting place just the same in PG county, with lots of cute shops and restaurants around.

DEA museum - Hey Breaking Bad fans, you can check this interesting place out in Virginia. The closest metro is Crystal City, which has an interesting underground art gallery. The Pentagon metro is also close. The DEA museum would make an interesting extension to the nearby Arlington cemetery.

National Museum of women in the arts - This one tends to be missed by tourists but is housed in a beautiful large building not too far from the metro center station. Highly worth it.

National Building museum - This is inside a huge building with stunning interior architecture. highly recommended. This is very close to the Judiciary Square metro station but is often missed by tourists passing through DC.

Shaw/Howard neighborhood - If you want to walk around an up and coming neighborhood, this is a good bet.

Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate conception - Located in another up and coming location of DC, where there are a lot of good restaurants and cafes sprouting up, near Catholic U.

Bloomingdale - Yes, everyone talks about Logan Circle but Bloomingdale is no slouch either! Nice place to walk around.

Dupont Art Walk - A lot of tourists, if not all, know of Dupont Circle but not many realize there is a lovely art walk, if I recall, every Friday evening during warmer temps.

Mount Pleasant - Another nice DC neighborhood with good places to eat, not too far from Adams Morgan and Columbia Heights, two better-known neighborhoods also worth checking out. I don't think a lot of tourists make their way to these three neighborhoods but they are home to some solid places to eat and drink.

Chain Bridge - If you like to walk and are heading from Foggy Bottom/Gtown, along Canal Rd, eventually you will reach here, where nature really starts to take over. From the Bridge, moving further from the city, nature only gets better!

Eastern Market - A revitalized neighborhood in the SE with tons of great places to eat, parks to walk in, and very green neighborhood overall. I had some great pizza in this area, for example!

Union Market - Closest metro is Noma. Last I went, nothing special about the exterior but tons of craft items and higher-end stuff to be found within. Kind of hispter-esque but not too pretentious.

German-American heritage museum

George Washington Masonic memorial - If you can make it out to Alexandria, Virginia via the King St metro, you can't miss this structure! It is highly worth it and Alexandria is a lovely place to walk around after you are done seeing the memorial, all the way down to the waterfront (be sure to see the Torpedo Factory Gallery on the way there, a very unique place indeed!). Founders park is also a nice visit in Alexandria.

Laogai museum - About human rights in China, located in Dupont circle. (edit: reading this has moved)

Kingman and Heritage Islands - Beautiful nature in DC, not too far from Stadium-Armory metro and RFK Stadium. These islands straddle the line between NE and SE DC and are a beautiful way to escape the faster-paced city life while remaining in DC.

Franciscan Monastery Garden - Near Brookland metro, this can be added to a visit of the Basicila above.

Gravelly Point Park - Want to see airplanes up close and personal as they land and take off? Here is your place! Closest metros are either Crystal City or Pentagon and both will require 15 to 20 minutes of walking but it is highly worth it for the views you will have!

H Street NE - A nice street to walk up and down, but no real metro takes you here. If I recall, Noma or Union stations are the two closest and a 10-15 minute walk follows, but some of the most underrated places to eat and drink in the city can be found here

Islamic Center of Washington - A cultural city somewhat close to Dupont I enjoyed my visit here and the architecture inside and out is very nice.

Kennedy Center - I feel like people tend to miss this, or if they go, they come and leave quickly but you can take a tour that shows you things you would not normally be able to see if you came on your own.

Petworth neighborhood - Another kind of underrated neighborhood that is nice to walk around with good cafes.

Anacostia Community Museum - One of the biggest surprises during my stay in DC, can be added to St. Elizabeth and Frederick Douglas sites if you are in the area.

Anderson House - An often overlooked, beautiful house, in the Dupont Circle area.

National Arboretum - More green in the city. A lot of local couples come here to take photos in front of the capitol columns or to enjoy the national Bonsai museum. I did this after H street, walking down Bladenburg Rd.

Phillips Collection in Dupont Circle.

Heurich House Museum - Often overlooked, almost literally right next to the Dupont metro. If I recall, I had to set up a tour, but highly worth it.

O street museum - One of the coolest things I have ever seen, I will leave it up to you to look into it, but HIGHLY worth it!

Hillwood Estate and garden - Near Van Ness metro, you will have to walk about 10 minutes through some beautiful parts of DC. This house was donated by a rich family, as they died, they decided to open it up to the public. Beautifully maintained.

Koshland Science Museum - Awesome for the kids! (edit: reading that, sadly, this has closed).

Tudor Place - Not too far from Gtown, in between Gtown and Duburton Oaks park and Montrose Park (all worth visiting too), another house donated by a rich family upon dying. Beautifully maintained.

Brookside Gardens - Out in the fringes of Silver Spring, near the Glenmont metro (sort of), worth it if you are in the area for longer and want another green area to walk around.

National museum of health and medicine - Could e a stop on the way to Brookside. Last I recall, there were some medical oddities on display here.

Melvin Hazen and Soapstone - two great walking paths not too far from Tenleytown metro and the National Cathedral.

Kreeger - Far from any metro, but if I recall, one of the two above paths will lead you there. Highly worth it, a museum in the city in the middle of nature.

Glover Archbold park - Near Gtown, is a nice walk.

Meyer House - Another house donated by a rich man upon dying, so that it may be available to the general public.

Meriden House is yet another house you can check out in the city in the NW, I forget the location.

DC also has some nice cemeteries besides Arlington such as Oak Hill, Rock Creek/Soldiers Home, Holy Rood and Congressional cemetery.

For longer stays it is highly worth looking at exploring the city centers (and more) of Silver Spring, Rockville, Arlington, Alexandria, Bethesda and other surrounding little cities available via metro.

Edit: For food, I can recommend (this is based on my experiences living there a number of years ago and of course subject to change):

Pizza: For cheap large slices, check to see if Albertos is still around near the circle in Dupont Circle ( edit: apparently it is closed), Graffitos in Chinatown behind the Verizon Center is top-notch (edit: reading it could be closed), Matchbox has several locations (fave is Eastern Market), Pete's pIzza is New Haven-style and I believe has several locations (My fave is Friendship Heights though a few locations seem to be closed, some are still open). Ellas, if memory serves is also around the Chinatown metro. We the pizza, I believe also in Eastern Market if memory serves, is also solid.

Adams Morgan has a lot of great Ethiopian, an underrated West African place called Bukom Cafe and good cheap falafels at Amsterdam falafel shop.

For Indian, Indique heights literally right outside the Cleveland Park metro. Masala Art, near Tenleytown metro is also solid, even the buffet.

For bars, Bier Baron in Dupont circle has a crazy selection of beers, black cat longue and 930 club are good for live indie music. Madhatter is pretty cool too. Quarry House Tavern is also awesome but is a haul to get to in Silver Spring. Mmmm, Pharmacy Bar in Adams Morgan (edit: reading it is closed) and there is a Brazilian place (Bossa Nova maybe?) on the same block or a block away too. Chevy Chase bar is very close to a shop with the second-highest selection of craft brews on the East Coast. Both are about a 10-minute walk from Friendship Heights metro. Rock Bottom out in Bethesda is an awesome brewpub. Finally, Logan Tavern and DC9 is worth checking out too!

Burgers - The Burger Joint in Dupont Circle area.

For bagels, "Bagels etc." might be your best bet near the Dupont Circle metro.

Kramers book is the best bookstore, in my opinion, in the city, also near Dupont circle. On the weekends they are open 24/7 (so from Friday morning opening until Sunday night closing they are open.)

Parkway Deli about 15 minutes from the Silverspring metro is one of my favorite delis ever.

Good cafes in the DMV area - Zeds Cafe, Big Chair Coffee, Soho Cafe (5-minute walk or less from Dupont Circle metro). Ching Chang Cha is in Gtown area and one of the most relaxing places I have ever been to, a tea house. SiTea near Dupont Circle metro is also fantastic.

Asian - Tian Tian Fang, Sakuramen, Toki Underground, and Nooshis (Malaysian). For authentic Chinese go out to Wheaton (metro is same name, on red line) for Paul Kee and Full key

Figs Cafe near Chinatown for Mediterranean is decent (edit: now reading it is closed). Same with Kebab House in the Dupont Circle area. In fact, nearby there should be a pretty decent Morccon place too. Parthenon in Chevy Chase, near the Friendship Heights metro is very good with awesome service.

Logan Circle has a ton of great, fancy places, as well as Dupont Circle. I dated a wealthy woman 12 years older than me for a month or two who took me to many of the best places in those areas but sadly the names escape me, haha.

Firehook Bakery is one of the best bakeries in the city.

Mi Cuba Cafe is great with solid customer service.

If you like hookah, Soussi is a good bet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hi,

Wife and I are going for four nights Mar 18 - March 21. It might be on early side for Cherry Blossoms. Lots of museums in DC, what else is fun to do? Thanks!
Did Covid cancel your trip? If not, what did you see?

Reaction Score
I lived in DC for 3 or 3.5 years and explored the ins and outs of the city extensively. Here is a list of off the beaten path things you can see that are quite cool too.:

Note, this is for people who are visiting for the first time and want off the beaten trail or those who already know the city and especially for those who plan to live there long term. You can never run out of things to do in DC!

Rock Creek Park - A sprawling park in the NW. If you want green and nature in the city, you can spend hours here.

Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens - More green space in the city! Many people don't know about these gardens which is a huge shame because they are breathtaking as far as city green spaces are concerned.

Post office museum - Literally right next to Union Station but often missed by tourists which is a shame, because it is a cool museum.

Art Museum of the Americas - Tends to be missed despite its location. It contains work from Latin Americans who relocated to the USA.

Old Post office pavilion - Not sure if this is still open to tourists, but provides some underrated views of the city and is an interesting relic from the past. (edit: reading this is closed)

National Cathedral - Stunning architecture, this church often is missed because there is not really a metro nearby. Maybe a 15 minute walk from Tenleytown metro and/or 5-minute bus or 20-minute walk from Woodley Park metro through gorgeous neighborhoods filled with embassies. Once you are at the Cathedral, don't miss Bishops Garden! I am not sure if you need to pay to get in the Cathedral, that is what I heard. But when I lived there, it was free.

Theodore Roosevelt Island - A perfect addition to Georgetown. There is not really a metro that goes to Town, the closest is Dupont and that requires a 15 minute walk to get to Gtown. The same goes for the island, with the closest being Rosslyn, with a 15 or so minute walk required from there, or just tack it on to your visit to Gtown and walk the 15 or so minutes, as this green space is highly worth it!

Saint Elizabeths hospital - If you are into the macabre, you can actually book a tour of this rundown hospital. At least I did when I lived there. Quite interesting, in the SE of DC.

The Waterfront in SW DC - A beautiful walk on warm days.

America University Art Gallery - Again, the closest metro is Tenleytown but if you are visiting the National Cathedral, this is a nice addition before/after, to extend the trip to this part of upper NW. After seeing this gallery and the cathedral, it is an easy walk to the zoo in Woodley Park through beautiful streets.

Frederick Douglas House - A great slice of DC history in the SE, this, along with the Post Office Pavillion, provides some of the most underrated views in DC.

National Harbor - Quite a bit out of the way, requiring a metro/bus combo, but an interesting place just the same in PG county, with lots of cute shops and restaurants around.

DEA museum - Hey Breaking Bad fans, you can check this interesting place out in Virginia. The closest metro is Crystal City, which has an interesting underground art gallery. The Pentagon metro is also close. The DEA museum would make an interesting extension to the nearby Arlington cemetery.

National Museum of women in the arts - This one tends to be missed by tourists but is housed in a beautiful large building not too far from the metro center station. Highly worth it.

National Building museum - This is inside a huge building with stunning interior architecture. highly recommended. This is very close to the Judiciary Square metro station but is often missed by tourists passing through DC.

Shaw/Howard neighborhood - If you want to walk around an up and coming neighborhood, this is a good bet.

Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate conception - Located in another up and coming location of DC, where there are a lot of good restaurants and cafes sprouting up, near Catholic U.

Bloomingdale - Yes, everyone talks about Logan Circle but Bloomingdale is no slouch either! Nice place to walk around.

Dupont Art Walk - A lot of tourists, if not all, know of Dupont Circle but not many realize there is a lovely art walk, if I recall, every Friday evening during warmer temps.

Mount Pleasant - Another nice DC neighborhood with good places to eat, not too far from Adams Morgan and Columbia Heights, two better-known neighborhoods also worth checking out. I don't think a lot of tourists make their way to these three neighborhoods but they are home to some solid places to eat and drink.

Chain Bridge - If you like to walk and are heading from Foggy Bottom/Gtown, along Canal Rd, eventually you will reach here, where nature really starts to take over. From the Bridge, moving further from the city, nature only gets better!

Eastern Market - A revitalized neighborhood in the SE with tons of great places to eat, parks to walk in, and very green neighborhood overall. I had some great pizza in this area, for example!

Union Market - Closest metro is Noma. Last I went, nothing special about the exterior but tons of craft items and higher-end stuff to be found within. Kind of hispter-esque but not too pretentious.

German-American heritage museum

George Washington Masonic memorial - If you can make it out to Alexandria, Virginia via the King St metro, you can't miss this structure! It is highly worth it and Alexandria is a lovely place to walk around after you are done seeing the memorial, all the way down to the waterfront (be sure to see the Torpedo Factory Gallery on the way there, a very unique place indeed!). Founders park is also a nice visit in Alexandria.

Laogai museum - About human rights in China, located in Dupont circle. (edit: reading this has moved)

Kingman and Heritage Islands - Beautiful nature in DC, not too far from Stadium-Armory metro and RFK Stadium. These islands straddle the line between NE and SE DC and are a beautiful way to escape the faster-paced city life while remaining in DC.

Franciscan Monastery Garden - Near Brookland metro, this can be added to a visit of the Basicila above.

Gravelly Point Park - Want to see airplanes up close and personal as they land and take off? Here is your place! Closest metros are either Crystal City or Pentagon and both will require 15 to 20 minutes of walking but it is highly worth it for the views you will have!

H Street NE - A nice street to walk up and down, but no real metro takes you here. If I recall, Noma or Union stations are the two closest and a 10-15 minute walk follows, but some of the most underrated places to eat and drink in the city can be found here

Islamic Center of Washington - A cultural city somewhat close to Dupont I enjoyed my visit here and the architecture inside and out is very nice.

Kennedy Center - I feel like people tend to miss this, or if they go, they come and leave quickly but you can take a tour that shows you things you would not normally be able to see if you came on your own.

Petworth neighborhood - Another kind of underrated neighborhood that is nice to walk around with good cafes.

Anacostia Community Museum - One of the biggest surprises during my stay in DC, can be added to St. Elizabeth and Frederick Douglas sites if you are in the area.

Anderson House - An often overlooked, beautiful house, in the Dupont Circle area.

National Arboretum - More green in the city. A lot of local couples come here to take photos in front of the capitol columns or to enjoy the national Bonsai museum. I did this after H street, walking down Bladenburg Rd.

Phillips Collection in Dupont Circle.

Heurich House Museum - Often overlooked, almost literally right next to the Dupont metro. If I recall, I had to set up a tour, but highly worth it.

O street museum - One of the coolest things I have ever seen, I will leave it up to you to look into it, but HIGHLY worth it!

Hillwood Estate and garden - Near Van Ness metro, you will have to walk about 10 minutes through some beautiful parts of DC. This house was donated by a rich family, as they died, they decided to open it up to the public. Beautifully maintained.

Koshland Science Museum - Awesome for the kids! (edit: reading that, sadly, this has closed).

Tudor Place - Not too far from Gtown, in between Gtown and Duburton Oaks park and Montrose Park (all worth visiting too), another house donated by a rich family upon dying. Beautifully maintained.

Brookside Gardens - Out in the fringes of Silver Spring, near the Glenmont metro (sort of), worth it if you are in the area for longer and want another green area to walk around.

National museum of health and medicine - Could e a stop on the way to Brookside. Last I recall, there were some medical oddities on display here.

Melvin Hazen and Soapstone - two great walking paths not too far from Tenleytown metro and the National Cathedral.

Kreeger - Far from any metro, but if I recall, one of the two above paths will lead you there. Highly worth it, a museum in the city in the middle of nature.

Glover Archbold park - Near Gtown, is a nice walk.

Meyer House - Another house donated by a rich man upon dying, so that it may be available to the general public.

Meriden House is yet another house you can check out in the city in the NW, I forget the location.

DC also has some nice cemeteries besides Arlington such as Oak Hill, Rock Creek/Soldiers Home, Holy Rood and Congressional cemetery.

For longer stays it is highly worth looking at exploring the city centers (and more) of Silver Spring, Rockville, Arlington, Alexandria, Bethesda and other surrounding little cities available via metro.

Edit: For food, I can recommend (this is based on my experiences living there a number of years ago and of course subject to change):

Pizza: For cheap large slices, check to see if Albertos is still around near the circle in Dupont Circle ( edit: apparently it is closed), Graffitos in Chinatown behind the Verizon Center is top-notch (edit: reading it could be closed), Matchbox has several locations (fave is Eastern Market), Pete's pIzza is New Haven-style and I believe has several locations (My fave is Friendship Heights though a few locations seem to be closed, some are still open). Ellas, if memory serves is also around the Chinatown metro. We the pizza, I believe also in Eastern Market if memory serves, is also solid.

Adams Morgan has a lot of great Ethiopian, an underrated West African place called Bukom Cafe and good cheap falafels at Amsterdam falafel shop.

For Indian, Indique heights literally right outside the Cleveland Park metro. Masala Art, near Tenleytown metro is also solid, even the buffet.

For bars, Bier Baron in Dupont circle has a crazy selection of beers, black cat longue and 930 club are good for live indie music. Madhatter is pretty cool too. Quarry House Tavern is also awesome but is a haul to get to in Silver Spring. Mmmm, Pharmacy Bar in Adams Morgan (edit: reading it is closed) and there is a Brazilian place (Bossa Nova maybe?) on the same block or a block away too. Chevy Chase bar is very close to a shop with the second-highest selection of craft brews on the East Coast. Both are about a 10-minute walk from Friendship Heights metro. Rock Bottom out in Bethesda is an awesome brewpub. Finally, Logan Tavern and DC9 is worth checking out too!

Burgers - The Burger Joint in Dupont Circle area.

For bagels, "Bagels etc." might be your best bet near the Dupont Circle metro.

Kramers book is the best bookstore, in my opinion, in the city, also near Dupont circle. On the weekends they are open 24/7 (so from Friday morning opening until Sunday night closing they are open.)

Parkway Deli about 15 minutes from the Silverspring metro is one of my favorite delis ever.

Good cafes in the DMV area - Zeds Cafe, Big Chair Coffee, Soho Cafe (5-minute walk or less from Dupont Circle metro). Ching Chang Cha is in Gtown area and one of the most relaxing places I have ever been to, a tea house. SiTea near Dupont Circle metro is also fantastic.

Asian - Tian Tian Fang, Sakuramen, Toki Underground, and Nooshis (Malaysian). For authentic Chinese go out to Wheaton (metro is same name, on red line) for Paul Kee and Full key

Figs Cafe near Chinatown for Mediterranean is decent (edit: now reading it is closed). Same with Kebab House in the Dupont Circle area. In fact, nearby there should be a pretty decent Morccon place too. Parthenon in Chevy Chase, near the Friendship Heights metro is very good with awesome service.

Logan Circle has a ton of great, fancy places, as well as Dupont Circle. I dated a wealthy woman 12 years older than me for a month or two who took me to many of the best places in those areas but sadly the names escape me, haha.

Firehook Bakery is one of the best bakeries in the city.

Mi Cuba Cafe is great with solid customer service.

If you like hookah, Soussi is a good bet.

when were you in DC, Travelman?

I was there from 2013-2018

Reaction Score
when were you in DC, Travelman?

I was there from 2013-2018
Early August of 2011 to late May of 2014! I did a ton of exploring from November 2013 when I got a gf who also loved to explore the city a lot. Before that, I had taken the city for granted a little bit. Those last 6 months were special, for sure, as I really got to know the city a great deal.

Reaction Score
Early August of 2011 to late May of 2014! I did a ton of exploring from November 2013 when I got a gf who also loved to explore the city a lot. Before that, I had taken the city for granted a little bit. Those last 6 months were special, for sure, as I really got to know the city a great deal.

it was a good place to live, especially when you’re young. I was ready to leave, though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom