Was this the most famous miss in NCCA tournament history? | The Boneyard

Was this the most famous miss in NCCA tournament history?

Reaction Score
I know we talk all the time about game winners, of course.

But how about the most famous miss in mens college basketball tournament history? Does such a thing exist?

I'd argue yes, it does, though much more rare than the game winner. I think it would be Hayward's miss in 2010 vs Duke:

Obviously there aren't nearly as many "famous misses" but anything else come to mind?

Reaction Score
721A8583-DE62-45F7-9FDB-76B412946F2B.jpeg

Reaction Score
Just reading the thread title, it is obviously Gordon Hayward.

Hard to think of any others that combine the stakes (championship won or lost), degree of difficulty (half-court shot), and proximity (off backboard and front rim). He was probably 0.2 degrees of arc away from immortality.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Maybe doesn’t belong on the Mount Rushmore of misses but my mind goes straight to that guy on Arizona (Derek Williams or something?) missing a three that would have buried us during Kemba’s run that looked so good coming off his hands
IIRC, Derrick Williams took the early, ill-advised pull up 3 from the top of the key which missed badly (hit the backboard first), then Arizona ended up getting the rebound, kicked to a guy in the corner (whose name I have no idea) and his miss was right on line, but just barely long.

Reaction Score
It's Gordon Hayward against Duke. The NC State one is a decent call, but that's famous as much for the subsequent make as much as the miss

Reaction Score
IIRC, Derrick Williams took the early, ill-advised pull up 3 from the top of the key which missed badly (hit the backboard first), then Arizona ended up getting the rebound, kicked to a guy in the corner (whose name I have no idea) and his miss was right on line, but just barely long.
I was a junior at the time so you can imagine my recall of exact details is extremely poor lol

Still can’t think of a time there was as big a collective gasp/sigh than that shot

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I remember Coach K getting pissed off in the postgame interview room because reporters kept asking him questions about how close Haywards' shot was to going in.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
It was Jamelle Horne - I will never forget his name because I still believe that shot is going in. Never seen a shot look so good and yet miss. I think he was like a 40+% 3pt shooter as well.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised nobody has brought this up: Yes, there are a ton of other narratives surrounding this game, but Denham Brown's stepback 3 at the end of overtime against G***ge M***n. It was a great look and almost went in.

That would have won the game, sent us to the Final Four (and potentially another championship), and cemented Brown as a legend having hit shots at the end of both regulation and OT.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

That second shot was 100% going in, until it didn't. I aged like 10 years in a second.

Reaction Score
I know we talk all the time about game winners, of course.

But how about the most famous miss in mens college basketball tournament history? Does such a thing exist?

I'd argue yes, it does, though much more rare than the game winner. I think it would be Hayward's miss in 2010 vs Duke:

Obviously there aren't nearly as many "famous misses" but anything else come to mind?

I think the most famous “miss”, if you will, was Chris Webber calling timeout with no timeouts left, against Duke.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Didn't Darius Washington from Memphis miss a couple free throws for a big game?

Chris Douglas-Roberts and Derrick Rose cost me hundreds of dollars in 2008. I had Memphis beating Kansas in my bracket. Memphis couldn't make a FT to save its life. I think I still finished 2nd overall.

62-58 Memphis with 1:15 left. Douglas-Roberts is fouled and misses the front end of a 1-and-1. Kansas then scores with 60 seconds left, bringing it to 62-60. After the teams trade misses from the floor, CDR is again fouled with 15 seconds left. In the double-bonus now, CDR misses both. But Memphis grabs the offensive rebound. Rose, however, only makes 1 of 2. Chalmers then hits a 3 to send the game to OT.

They went 1-5 over the last 1:15.

I remember the 2004 UConn squad being bad at FT shooting and a lot of people saying it would eventually bite us in the butt. It never did. But people said the same thing about that Memphis team and boy did it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I remember picking Tinsley in the first round of a Tournament player pool because I thought ISU was headed deep. I had no players from #1 seeds. I don't remember where I finished but it was probably dead last.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom