Was Shady really all that bad? | The Boneyard

Was Shady really all that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The guy gave the Pats Blount and Talib for almost nothing. Where would they be without those two guys?

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I shudder to think about it

Reaction Score
He was predictable, always relying on trick plays when he was at Rutgers. CLUELESS!

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The Patriots are now going to have their first round pick revoked due to Belichick coercing other teams into hiring his friends and then taking his friends' best players.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
He was predictable, always relying on trick plays when he was at Rutgers. CLUELESS!

what does that say about us losing to him on multiple occasions?

Reaction Score
He and Edsall were basically thd same coach. Edsall slightly better on game days, Schiano the,better recruiter. Toward the end of their tenures, Schiano was winning more than he lost against Edsall.

Reaction Score
He and Edsall were basically thd same coach. Edsall slightly better on game days, Schiano the,better recruiter. Toward the end of their tenures, Schiano was winning more than he lost against Edsall.

I think there was a difference on the Slime Scale though:
Schiano 10.5 out of 10. Edsall 2 out of 10.

Reaction Score
Point taken, but let's examine:
Tony C. doing his best Florida State Wide Right imitation multiple times to lose a winnable game.
UConn's defense in the wrong formation the ONE time a prevent defense is called for on Jasper Howard Day to grab defeat from the arms of victory.
But enough of the excuses. I just would never trust the Chimp as a head coach. He gives the Las Vegas odd makers a built in advantage.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Point taken, but let's examine:
Tony C. doing his best Florida State Wide Right imitation multiple times to lose a winnable game.
UConn's defense in the wrong formation the ONE time a prevent defense is called for on Jasper Howard Day to grab defeat from the arms of victory.
But enough of the excuses. I just would never trust the Chimp as a head coach. He gives the Las Vegas odd makers a built in advantage.

So you're saying Coach Edsall prepared the players well and had a great gameplan, the players just didn't execute?

Reaction Score
I think there was a difference on the Slime Scale though:
Schiano 10.5 out of 10. Edsall 2 out of 10.
What made Schiano slimy? If you've ever heard him speak at a press conference you quickly realize he is much better at public speaking than Edsall, which can come in handy when you're trying to sell a school with no history of football success. Too much was made on this board of the helicopter thing, and the national championship talk. Bottom line, he is a huge reason why RU is in the Big Ten. If RU had continued, their Temple like ineptitude, no chance they're selected. Schiano got RU to spend big and won enough to move them out of laughing stock status.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Schiano got RU to spend big and won enough to move them out of laughing stock status.

Huh? Our worst year ever and we kicked Rutgers ass.

Reaction Score
If RU had continued their Temple like ineptitude, no chance they're selected (for the B1G).

That's really the big unanswered question. Was it merely TV sets, eyeballs, and the chance to bring the B1G Network to the NYC marketplace--no matter the football ineptitude--that warranted the move, or was Schiano's on field improvment and Pernetti's spending to achieve facility improvment the lynchpin elements that precipitated their selection to the B1G?

Reaction Score
That's really the big unanswered question. Was it merely TV sets, eyeballs, and the chance to bring the B1G Network to the NYC marketplace--no matter the football ineptitude--that warranted the move, or was Schiano's on field improvment and Pernetti's spending to achieve facility improvment the lynchpin elements that precipitated their selection to the B1G?
Really think it had to be a combination of the two. I sometimes wonder if people really remember how terrible RU was in the early stages of the the Big East football conference. There was a kid out of Holy Cross high in Waterbury that started at LB for RU. I was coaching HS ball in WTBY, great HS player, but he played LB at RU at 195lbs, as an upper classemen. Those Terry Schea teams were gawd awful. When talking heads talked about Miami in those days, the conversation in those days, they always had to bring up how dreadful RU and Temple were. They were really, really bad.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
What made Schiano slimy? If you've ever heard him speak at a press conference you quickly realize he is much better at public speaking than Edsall, which can come in handy when you're trying to sell a school with no history of football success. Too much was made on this board of the helicopter thing, and the national championship talk. Bottom line, he is a huge reason why RU is in the Big Ten. If RU had continued, their Temple like ineptitude, no chance they're selected. Schiano got RU to spend big and won enough to move them out of laughing stock status.

Reaction Score

But he had 4 Star (NEW JERSEY) athletes ... and "no way" should our 2 Star kids beat them.

That - for me - is the theme of an "era". The many many RU fans that showed up here ... and shouted their dominance. WE have the better Athletic Department. WE have excellence. Taking a back seat to Rutgers ... Cuse ... burns me. Merit should play into this somehow.

Reaction Score
But he had 4 Star (NEW JERSEY) athletes ... and "no way" should our 2 Star kids beat them.

That - for me - is the theme of an "era". The many many RU fans that showed up here ... and shouted their dominance. WE have the better Athletic Department. WE have excellence. Taking a back seat to Rutgers ... Cuse ... burns me. Merit should play into this somehow.
While i agree that Merit should matter, this school has never gone out of it's way to sell itself. So while su was touting itself as new yorks team, and ru was selling an imaginary waiting list on season tickets, we sat back pointing at our trophy case. Botg schools set out to make themselves appear more attractive to the people who ultimately matter in conference realignment. The college presidents. So while we laugh at their bluster, the people that matter, who most likely don't know sports like the average fan, are impressed with the fake hype. Us? We monitor landscapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom