OT: - Warriors are bad for basketball | The Boneyard

OT: Warriors are bad for basketball

Reaction Score
I did my best to watch most of the game last night...;). I did start late and leave early.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
Obviously a tongue-in-cheek remark as related to UCONN's domination in WCBB. However, the same principle applies here.

UCONN raised the bar. It was up to the other college teams to raise their level of play. Mississippi State did that this year. We got better, improved ourselves and did beat the Huskies.

Same thing applies in the NBA. It is up to other teams to improve so they can beat the Warriors. It is not GS's fault that they have built a winning team. It is smart management in the front office (drafting great players & signing veterans) along with great coaching that has lead them to three straight finals and 2 championships.

Anybody whining about either just does not get it. Each team is responsible for themselves.

Reaction Score
Obviously a tongue-in-cheek remark as related to UConn's domination in WCBB. However, the same principle applies here.

UConn raised the bar. It was up to the other college teams to raise their level of play. Mississippi State did that this year. We got better, improved ourselves and did beat the Huskies.

Same thing applies in the NBA. It is up to other teams to improve so they can beat the Warriors. It is not GS's fault that they have built a winning team. It is smart management in the front office (drafting great players & signing veterans) along with great coaching that has lead them to three straight finals and 2 championships.

Anybody whining about either just does not get it. Each team is responsible for themselves.
Like Steve Spurrier told his team when he coached at Florida: "Boys, let's go out there and beat 'em as bad as we can beat 'em. If they don't like it, tell 'em to get better." The billionaire NBA owners like Steve Ballmer and Mark Cuban should just ante up. Forget the salary cap - just break the bank and make it a super-team arms race. The teams who can't afford it will at least benefit from the luxury tax.

BTW the 1980's "Showtime" Lakers were bigger assemblage of super-talent than the Warriors. IMO Magic, Kareem, James Worthy, Michael Cooper, Byron Scott, etc., would totally kick Golden State's ass.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The NBA is bad for basketball..... no traveling calls, defensive 3 seconds, bogus fouls etc. It is hard to take seriously .

You could say the same for the WNBA, WCBB, or MCBB

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
BTW the 1980's "Showtime" Lakers were bigger assemblage of super-talent than the Warriors. IMO Magic, Kareem, James Worthy, Michael Cooper, Byron Scott, etc., would totally kick Golden State's ass.
you joking right.... and the Lakers is my team!

Reaction Score

The game is completely different than when Magic and company played. The rules make it much easier to score now. The Lakers would easily light up the score board. And Magic would average 20 assists.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
I got a kick out of what Steve Kerr said, "the players from the 50's would destroy everybody. That is amazing how weaker, smaller, less talented, less skilled the players have gotten over the last 60 years.
The game gets worse as time goes on. Players are less talented than they used to be".

Gotta love his sense of humor.

Reaction Score
The NBA is bad for basketball..... no traveling calls, defensive 3 seconds, bogus fouls etc. It is hard to take seriously .
I believe Mrs Curry was trying to say that in her own words last year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The game is completely different than when Magic and company played. The rules make it much easier to score now. The Lakers would easily light up the score board. And Magic would average 20 assists.
Was watching 30 for 30 last night and just to show how much the game has changed when Kevin McHale clothes lined Curt Rambis in game 2 of the 1984 Finals it changed the entire series and McHale was not even ejected from the game.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

What was the Warriors big offseason move last year? Signing Kevin Durant. Not exactly an out-of-the-box genius move. Just about every team in the league wanted him but he was getting the same max deal from any non-OKC team so he went to the team that was already the most talent-laden.

It really is the same thing as UConn. People say that it's up to the other teams to improve to beat UConn. But that's far easier said than done given that UConn consistently brings in more #1 recruits than anyone else.

It's not UConn's fault and it's not GSW's fault. Both are well run. But saying "it is up to other teams to improve" is almost insultingly facile.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Honestly it depends on what rules this fantasy match up would take place. Under the rules the Lakers played under: More frequent lane violations called, traveling calls, and much more physical play with no such thing as a "flagrant" foul, the Showtime Lakers would crush this little team. Under the current rules which includes the former and an emphasis on 3 point shots, this current Warriors team would win in 6.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
What was the Warriors big offseason move last year? Signing Kevin Durant. Not exactly an out-of-the-box genius move. Just about every team in the league wanted him but he was getting the same max deal from any non-OKC team so he went to the team that was already the most talent-laden.

It really is the same thing as UConn. People say that it's up to the other teams to improve to beat UConn. But that's far easier said than done given that UConn consistently brings in more #1 recruits than anyone else.

It's not UConn's fault and it's not GSW's fault. Both are well run. But saying "it is up to other teams to improve" is almost insultingly facile.
Yeah you're right. Easier said than done. Frankly it's different in the pros where you can just buy a winning culture (just ask the old Yankees) and WCBB where you have to first install a winning culture by way of coaching, sturcture and expectations and the talent then flocks to you. A much slower route. Different concept and over time, a longer lasting result.

Reaction Score
Not joking - those Lakers were a much more athletic collection of HOF-ers, and would annihilate today's Warriors under old rules, today's rules, or any rules.

Lakers were my team too, until Kobe arrived. I took a 20-year Laker vacation 'cuz I can't stand him. Still not warming back up to their incompetent heir management team - maybe the recent changes will help.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
The TV ratings were excellent, so it is obvious that viewers dislike dominant teams and star players. As to the American sports fans' supposed addiction to the cause of the under-dog, it's more myth than reality. Sports dynasties have always drawn quite large followings.

Reaction Score
Well I primarily blame the NBA Players Union. Under the CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement) players are guaranteed a fixed % of BRI (Basketball Related Income). Which I support 100%.

The problem occurred when NBA signed a lucrative new TV deal and NBAPA refused to phase in the increase in BRI and therefore they was a huge jump in the Salary Cap last year (35% in 1 year from 70m to 94m). This is reason Durant could sign with Golden State without sacrificing salary.

So what happens when you add a current top 5 player to a historically great team (15-1 playoff run).

Unfortunately even worse is too come as their core 4 have either just started their prime (Durant and Curry 28) or are just entering their prime (Thompson & Green 26). So unless something unforeseen happens it's likely will win a few more in the coming years.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Yes, and Durant is the greatest role player ever!
He needs another 5 championships under his belt before wrestling that title away from Scottie Pippen.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
What you said...all of the above. But the lack of any traveling calls is what makes it a joke and near impossible to take seriously. Naismith is turning in his grave...why even bother to make anyone dribble?

If I could pinpoint the origins of this 'no-call' violation trend, I'd look towards Magic Johnson.

Reaction Score
What you said...all of the above. But the lack of any traveling calls is what makes it a joke and near impossible to take seriously. Naismith is turning in his grave...why even bother to make anyone dribble?

If I could pinpoint the origins of this 'no-call' violation trend, I'd look towards Magic Johnson.
Majic and Larry saved the NBA.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Yup. I've always said about the NBA: If you took away the traveling and the palming you wouldn't have a game.

In fairness, there's a lot of traveling in WCBB, too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom