Ward shows his keen college athletics knowledge | The Boneyard

Ward shows his keen college athletics knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn has had a tough time in recruiting of late. Noah Vonleh, a top-rated big man into which they put a lot of effort, committed to Indiana earlier this month. On Monday, Brandon Austin, a highly rated guard who visited UConn on Oct. 29, chose Providence over UConn.
"Jim Calhoun, in his prime, lost recruits," Manuel said. "Kevin is going to win some of the recruiting wars and he is going to lose. You never know what's going to hurt in recruiting."

Here's a clue jerkwad, coaching uncertainty is not a plus.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Herbst called this guy a "rock star" when he was hired. He signed Ollie in the first place. Pop a cold one a chill. :cool:

Reaction Score
Herbst called this guy a "rock star" when he was hired. He signed Ollie in the first place. Pop a cold one a chill. :cool:

Big man help is not coming anytime soon. This is the team for the next 2 years.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Unless and until a recruit states expressly that the school to which he committed was his second choice and that he would have committed to UConn but for the head coaching vacancy, I believe the consensus is that we should assume that any recruiting losses should be attributed to recruits not liking Ollie and not believing that he will be successful.

And to the extent that the head coaching vacancy is determined to have any negative effect, that should be blamed on Calhoun. He clearly intended to sabotage the program he built.

Please, everyone, let's all make sure we're reading off the same Bonehead...um, I mean Boneyard script.

Reaction Score
How many recruits heard about Jim Calhoun's health the past several years when he waffled about staying or leaving during the summers? What did that do to UConn's recruiting? And now, all of a sudden, Manuel has to make a decision five games into the season or he's a "jerkwad"?

People need to be patient. Manuel was backed into a corner with KO at the last moment before the season. He's been very positive about KO , and he's likely to sign KO to a new contract but, hell, it's only been five games. It's one of the biggest decisions he'll make in his tenure, and he wants to be damn sure.

There's no guarantee that Vonleh would have signed with UConn if KO had a 10 year contract. And I'm not going to lose any sleep over Austin.

caw

Reaction Score
Unless and until a recruit states expressly that the school to which he committed was his second choice and that he would have committed to UConn but for the head coaching vacancy, I believe the consensus is that we should assume that any recruiting losses should be attributed to recruits not liking Ollie and not believing that he will be successful.

And to the extent that the head coaching vacancy is determined to have any negative effect, that should be blamed on Calhoun. He clearly intended to sabotage the program he built.

Please, everyone, let's all make sure we're reading off the same Bonehead...um, I mean Boneyard script.

So you want to wait 10-15 years for these guys to admit they dropped UConn because of Ollie's contract situation before taking the logical step? No recruit is going to be saying anything until they have A) graduated, B) left for the NBA or C) transferred.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So you want to wait 10-15 years for these guys to admit they dropped UConn because of Ollie's contract situation before taking the logical step? No recruit is going to be saying anything until they have A) graduated, B) left for the NBA or C) transferred.
sarcasm01.jpg

Reactions: caw

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Well if I was a recruit, and my future coach said, "Hey come play for me. But when you get here, I won't be here." I would not go. People chose the coach 100 times more often than they choose the program. Ergo, this is hurting UConn and Manuel doesn't know .

Reaction Score
Uh if you want to take shots at ppl you get more credibility if you spell their name correctly

Reaction Score
How many recruits heard about Jim Calhoun's health the past several years when he waffled about staying or leaving during the summers? What did that do to UConn's recruiting? And now, all of a sudden, Manuel has to make a decision five games into the season or he's a "jerkwad"?

People need to be patient. Manuel was backed into a corner with KO at the last moment before the season. He's been very positive about KO , and he's likely to sign KO to a new contract but, hell, it's only been five games. It's one of the biggest decisions he'll make in his tenure, and he wants to be damn sure.

There's no guarantee that Vonleh would have signed with UConn if KO had a 10 year contract. And I'm not going to lose any sleep over Austin.

Was Herbst in the office telling parents that Ollie was taking over?

Was the AD questioning Calhoun's fitness for the job?

Are you concerned about Facey not signing?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Uh if you want to take shots at ppl you get more credibility if you spell their name correctly

Uh, I am a poster on an internet message board, really how much more credible can I get? (But it makes you feel better I can call him jerkwarde.)

More generally, I understand that he wants to take his time on his first coaching decision and might resent having KO pushed down his throat, but making this quote
"Kevin is going to win some of the recruiting wars and he is going to lose. You never know what's going to hurt in recruiting."
is sillyand self serving. Of course he knows that Kevin's short contract makes Ollie's job harder. He should just have acknowledged that or been silent on the issue. It seems to be he's trying to spin the fact that he has made it tougher for KO to recruit. That earned him a jerkwad (sorry jerkwarde) from me. Man up and say something like "I understand that it ismore challenging for Kevin to recruit given his short contract but I don't see that being issue in the near future" or something similar or just be silent.

Reaction Score
It's simple. Any coach can win with great recruits. Warde wants to see if Ollie can win with no recruits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom