WaPo Heralds Paige | The Boneyard

WaPo Heralds Paige

Reaction Score
Yesterday we were asked what would make us happy. This morning I found another reason. On the front page of the Washington Post sports section was a long, laudatory article about Minnesota Slim and her impact on her team and on the game. How UConn’s Paige Bueckers is breaking college basketball - The Washington Post
While most UConn fans know the details of the emerging Bueckers' legend, the Post column quoted Geno as saying that Buckets was "not right" (in the head, I presume). Coach was referring to Slim's insistence that he give her exactly the playing time to which she was "entitled" regardless of the need for her in the game.
Emerson avers in "Self-Reliance" that "to be great is to be misunderstood." So, if greatness is contingent on being different or "not right," that's fine. The root of creativity, it seems, is some special ability not available to everyone. We'll take it.

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Yesterday we were asked what would make us happy. This morning I found another reason. On the front page of the Washington Post sports section was a long, laudatory article about Minnesota Slim and her impact on her team and on the game. How UConn’s Paige Bueckers is breaking college basketball - The Washington Post
While most UConn fans know the details of the emerging Bueckers' legend, the Post column remarked that Buckets was "not right" (in the head, I presume). By this the writer seemed to mean that her focus on basketball from way back when, suggests an obsession. She lives and breathes balling, and that makes her "not right."
Emerson avers in "Self-Reliance" that "to be great is to be misunderstood." So, if greatness is contingent on being different, that's fine. The root of creativity, it seems, is some special ability not available to everyone. We'll take it.
The "not right" comment was written as being a quote from Geno in his comment concerning her desire for playing time. The writer may or may not agree, but he did not express his opinion of her rightness. It seemed to me that he was favorably impressed with our young Paige. Who knows for sure, but he could be an Emerson guy through and through. ;)

Reaction Score
“Then she came off and checked the stat sheet,” Auriemma recalled with feigned indignity, “and she goes, ‘You owe me two more minutes tomorrow, because I didn’t get to play my average [minutes].’ … I love her and everything, but there’s something not quite right about her.”

Reaction Score
The "not right" comment was written as being a quote from Geno in his comment concerning her desire for playing time. The writer may or may not agree, but he did not express his opinion of her rightness. It seemed to me that he was favorably impressed with our young Paige. Who knows for sure, but he could be an Emerson guy through and through. ;)
Fixed, I hope. If you insist on reading my posts, I'll have to go over them with a fine tooth comb (although I'm actually bald). Thanks.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Fixed, I hope. If you insist on reading my posts, I'll have to go over them with a fine tooth comb (although I'm actually bald). Thanks.
One of has to read what we are reading! If you want to take up the challenge, please do! And I don't really own a comb either. Go Huskies! :eek:

Bama fan

Reaction Score
BTW, I enjoyed the way you worked in a shout out to a WaPo competitor with WaPo Heralds Paige ! ISWYDT

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Really a good piece of writing. So much fun to read this piece about one of my favorite people. Really liked how he ended the article.

Auriemma, her teammates, anybody with the good sense to tune in and watch: We are all, in a way, Monica McNutt near the end of that South Carolina game, struggling to process what we are witnessing and asking ourselves a question that might be partially answered over the next few weeks:

How does the legend grow from here?"

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
One premise of the article is wrong - that fun line in the intro: “I WILL BE TAKING THIS LAST SHOT.”

I believe that Paige intended Olivia to take the last shot, and she was open to do it until she put the ball on the court and moved, giving the the defense the opportunity to move up, requiring Olivia to bail it to Paige. It looked like O didn't want to take a shot.

Reaction Score
Dont love the story about Paige telling a teammate to miss a FT so she could stay in the game.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Dont love the story about Paige telling a teammate to miss a FT so she could stay in the game.
But that is from Geno, who tries to spin a tale from time to time. I think he was laying it on thick for his audience that day.

Reaction Score
But that is from Geno, who tries to spin a tale from time to time. I think he was laying it on thick for his audience that day.
Not clear that was a Geno story. Stated as fact without attribution.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Are they still using U-Conn.?
Yeah, only criticism in an otherwise really nice piece.
For whatever it's worth, I don't think this is on the writer (who did put together a very nice piece, I agree). As best I can tell, Washington Post articles always refer to UConn as "U-Conn.", so it must be some strange stylistic convention the paper employs, though I can't fathom why. UConn thinks UConn is UConn, and that really should be the end of it.

Reaction Score
Geno definitely said it in a presser. Hard to tell if was completely accurate, it it really bothered him etc.
Geno turns a phrase or two, good press and a twist for readers/viewers. He gets that this is a game, not life or death, these young players also seem to get that and love being the pawns in the game on hardwood.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
For whatever it's worth, I don't think this is on the writer (who did put together a very nice piece, I agree). As best I can tell, Washington Post articles always refer to UConn as "U-Conn.", so it must be some strange stylistic convention the paper employs, though I can't fathom why. UConn thinks UConn is UConn, and that really should be the end of it.
Yeah - Uconn was 'informal' for a very long time, but five or so years back the university officially adopted Uconn as a trademark and it is now interchangeable with University of Connecticut in their letterheads I think.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom