Wanted - Good D1 Football Players | The Boneyard

Wanted - Good D1 Football Players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It appears that the previous coaching staff wasn't the only problem with this football team. The lack of good D1 football players is the much bigger problem. I don't think it would matter if UCONN got Bill Belichick to coach the team, the record would be similar. Bottom line, UCONN will not win football games at the D1 level without good D1 players.

Reaction Score
It appears that the previous coaching staff wasn't the only problem with this football team. The lack of good D1 football players is the much bigger problem. I don't think it would matter if UCONN got Bill Belichick to coach the team, the record would be similar. Bottom line, UCONN will not win football games at the D1 level without good D1 players.

I think there are enough good players on this team to win.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Everyone's high school highlights are good.

Didn't NC State want him to move to Fullback? I'll keep my expectations tempered on anyone until I actually see something.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Everyone's high school highlights are good.

Didn't NC State want him to move to Fullback? I'll keep my expectations tempered on anyone until I actually see something.

Actually no, many of the kids we have successfully recruited over the past three years have had very underwhelming highlight reels. For those, I bite my tongue. Very few have highlights as impressive as Sherriffs.

Reaction Score

Absolutely on point. UConn's team speed is abysmal. They are at UConn because they didn't really have better offers (i.e, from P5 conferences). Very few of these guys would a program like Cincy take.

Reaction Score
Actually no, many of the kids we have successfully recruited over the past three years have had very underwhelming highlight reels. For those, I bite my tongue. Very few have highlights as impressive as Sherriffs.

Every time someone commits we hear the same sheet from the same posters. "High motor", "plays at a good pad level", "will be a monster here". Truth is not one of them knows what the hell they're talking about. I think one guy said earlier today that he loves what Diaco is doing recruiting wise cause all of the commits are fast and athletic. Well gee golly it's nice that we're recruiting fast and athletic kids to play D1 football. I think that's terrific.

Reaction Score

No disrespect but think Bill Belichick would have squeezed out a few more wins with this team, even Rex would have figured out a way to beat Army.

Reaction Score
No disrespect but think Bill Belichick would have squeezed out a few more wins with this team, even Rex would have figured out a way to beat Army.

I am not so sure about that. Bill's track record with teams that lacked talent isn't that good. I point to the Cleveland Browns as exhibit "A". Every coach needs talented players to win. Especially at the Quaterback position.

Reaction Score
We do not have super talent but had much better and bigger talent than Army who beat us and Stony Brook who almost did. I want Diaco to do well long term as he is the coach and we need to turn it around sooner rather than later. But with Diaco after being hired almost a year ago there is no way expected us to probably finish at 3-9 and looking at good chance to be underdogs in our first two games at home next year against Villanova and Army, either of them have a kid on their roster who would have had a UCONN offer coming out of high school.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There is enough talent to be sitting at least 5 wins right now, 6 if you include the UCF win as it happened. I hear a lot of excuses for what in reality are losses to Army, Tulane, Temple and USF. There is no valid excuse for that.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Oddly enough, several of these players were "good" by the end of last year.

Diaco has made it perfectly clear that this is a process and the process he has chosen means the only visible part of his cultural change (the games) will be the last place us fans can see progress.

He is the energy vampire of the athletic department. He has stated and demonstrated that all his changes are behind the scenes. In the meantime he still expects customers to keep investing in his product.

Reaction Score
Oddly enough, several of these players were "good" by the end of last year.

Diaco has made it perfectly clear that this is a process and the process he has chosen means the only visible part of his cultural change (the games) will be the last place us fans can see progress.

He is the energy vampire of the athletic department. He has stated and demonstrated that all his changes are behind the scenes. In the meantime he still expects customers to keep investing in his product.
If you ask me, that's exactly where it should start. And you will then see it outwardly on the field. How can you take the same culture beaten down and down trodden from the past 3 years and win/play at a high level just by tinkering with on field stuff. He is attempting to build this up from the ground up. From the inside out. I think he has the right approach and he is working toward a solid foundation to get this program moving upward.

Reaction Score

I'm with Whaler on this. No offense. But you cannot truly evaluate a player by a highlight reel. Watch ALL of the tape. Good plays and bad. Sherriffs might be the real deal. Not saying he's not. But tempering expectations on anyone coming in is the prudent thing to do.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm with Whaler on this. No offense. But you cannot truly evaluate a player by a highlight reel. Watch ALL of the tape. Good plays and bad. Sherriffs might be the real deal. Not saying he's not. But tempering expectations on anyone coming in is the prudent thing to do.
Prudent? This is a board dominated by super college sports geeks. Do I really need to post a disclaimer about what a highlight reel represents to this audience (ie it doesn't show their mistakes, character or a clear view of the competition,etc)? I've watched a lot of tape over the years. Not many coming in have had a tape as exciting as his. Will it translate into something? hopefully, because when I look at the roster and the incoming class, there isnt much to get excited about for 2015.

Reaction Score
Actually, I am EXCITED about the FUTURE OF UCONN FOOTBALL!

HCBD WILL TURN THIS PROGRAM AROUND!

He just needs time to get good players who want to play and not quit and get his system in place.

I think we have some solid recruits who will coem in and play NEXT YEAR as there is plenty of room for them at UCONN.

Reaction Score
Too easy, conventional wisdom, blame the players. Same thing was said P's first year, cupboard is bare. It wasn't.

Reaction Score

Anyone with whaler11 is going to be suspect ... guy is a LLLL ... lonesome.

Reaction Score
I'll point to Memphis and Temple again. No one expected them to be where they are today. Yes Memphis has 3 losses but they looked competitive in every single game except the end of one if I remember correctly. And Temple is vastly improved this year as well. They both were bottom of the barrel last year with first year head coaches. I think with another year of S&C and practice in Diaco's system, this team will be vastly improved. Yes it sucks losing now, but it's rare for a coach to step into a program coming off of three losing seasons and transform that team in only a few months.

Reaction Score

If that is the case then all is lost. We will never attract the talent to win if we can't win with the talent we have. Winning (at least sometimes) with what you have rather than what you want is what separates the good coaches from the bad. There is no way to attract better talent if you can't do anything with the talent you have.

The real talent deficit may be one the coaching side.

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score

If you honestly think that one of the greatest coaches in football history would not have a better record than a first time, clearly in over his head car salesman than you know nothing about football and should go post congrats on the field hockey board.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Anyone with whaler11 is going to be suspect ... guy is a LLLL ... lonesome.

LOL Pudge. Since there are hundreds of posts in the last 3 days saying the exact same things that me, Jimmy and CHB took heat for months ago.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I want to reiterate the statement that I made in other threads; that we have plenty enough talent to be competing and winning in the AAC. Period. People are acting like we are in the SEC or the PAC. The idea that we don't have at least equivalent talent to the likes of Tulane, Temple, Army (oh my God, Army!), or South Florida is a ridiculous idea. If we believe that the results dictate the level of player, then what people on the board are saying is that we are equivalent in talent to Stony Brook. I refuse to believe that. A team with that level of talent is not capable of beating UCF by 8.

A team with Geremy Davis, Byron Jones (prior to injury), Casey Cochran (prior to injury), Arkeel Newsome, Ron Johnson, Campenni, Vann, Melifonwu, Jhavon Williams, Myers, Andrew Adams, Deshon Foxx, Noel Thomas, and a host of others is not talent deficient. Hell, let's look at the people that don't even see the field, like Max DeLorenzo. Max would be a starting RB on many of the other teams in the AAC. I have no doubt of that. So would Josh Marriner. They both sit on the bench on this team. Tim Boyle was a former BC commit along with offers from Pitt and Syracuse, meaning others thought he was worth it (even though he clearly needs work, which is what coaching is supposed to do). Chandler Whitmer had offers from Arizona, Stanford, and of course Illinois.

There is plenty of talent on this team, folks. Plenty enough to be better than 2-8 in this league. Certainly better than being beaten 41-0 at home to Cincy. And at some point, the coaching staff has to own the job that they've done. At some point they have to say, "Have we put these kids in a position to succeed?" I think I know what the answer to that question is...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If you ask me, that's exactly where it should start. And you will then see it outwardly on the field. How can you take the same culture beaten down and down trodden from the past 3 years and win/play at a high level just by tinkering with on field stuff. He is attempting to build this up from the ground up. From the inside out. I think he has the right approach and he is working toward a solid foundation to get this program moving upward.

I'm only asking to beat USF, Army, and Tulane at this point. Should be able to cook that meal with the groceries on hand. That's the entire point of discontent with Diaco to date. Not being embarrassed by more mediocre teams would have been a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom