Walker #10, Dangerfield #12 on latest Draftsite.com 2020 WNBA Mock Draft | The Boneyard

Walker #10, Dangerfield #12 on latest Draftsite.com 2020 WNBA Mock Draft

Reaction Score
Megan Walker is among three early entries projected to be drafted in the first round in the latest update (6th version) of Draftsite.com's 2020 WNBA Mock Draft.

It is another indication that college basketball fans are becoming more aware of her long-term pro potential. Walker wasn't listed among the top 36 draft prospects just last month and had appeared on just one of 64 mock draft boards that had been submitted by fans. UConn fans won't want to see her leave prematurely, but it is further recognition by a wider audience that she is realizing the potential that others saw in her as a high school senior.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Megan Walker is among three early entries projected to be drafted in the first round in the latest update (6th version) of Draftsite.com's 2020 WNBA Mock Draft.

It is another indication that college basketball fans are becoming more aware of her long-term pro potential. Walker wasn't listed among the top 36 draft prospects just last month and had appeared on just one of 64 mock draft boards that had been submitted by fans. UConn fans won't want to see her leave prematurely, but it is further recognition by a wider audience that she is realizing the potential that others saw in her as a high school senior.

If Walker leaves early she'll go a LOT higher than 10th. Top 5 pick IMO if she keeps up her play. McDonald will also go higher too if she leaves early. Honestly, I can't imagine anyone leaving before their senior year unless they're a sure fire top 6-7 pick.

Reaction Score
I sure hope Megan doesn't leave early. I think that would put a big delay in our "being bad for women's basketball again" plan. :)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I do not see Megan leaving early depriving her of the opportunity to play with the super team UConn is putting together for 2020. Playing with Paige and best friend Evina and an even better Liv and perfecting her game under Geno seems too good to pass up.

Reaction Score
Why would any player leave early for what the WNBA pays its rookies?
A new CBA is in the making, but it is doubtful that a new one will provide sufficient financial security so that WNBA players won't feel the need to seek additional overseas compensation. Let's hope for the women that the new contract provides compensation significantly better than what Breanna Stewart (arguably the world's best player when she was healthy) was paid during her first four WNBA seasons (including her injury season).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Can you believe there are 3 freshmen in the top 6 NBA mock drafts 2020 (1,3 and 6)? But NBA pay is way way high compared to WNBA. I do believe Megan will think college degree is more important .

bballnut90

Reaction Score

She could make about 50k over the summer and play against much stronger competition. Once the season ends, hop overseas and pull in 6 figures while playing against better competition than the Big East will provide. Not a bad alternative to sticking around another year.

Last edited:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Will Megan Walker graduate this spring? Interesting juniors are included on this list. Will review this list more when I get off work.

Rennia Davis from Tenn will graduate this spring but isn't listed... Davis attended a local junior college for her final two years of high school, earning an Associate of Arts degree before attending UT. Guess she could enter WNBA Draft, right?

Hope both Megan and Rennia come back next year...

If Tennessee ends up struggling once again, I wouldn't be shocked if she opts to grad transfer for a chance at a title/1 year masters program, or if she goes straight to pros.

Reaction Score
Not sure this is draft.com's wishful thinking or they have Megan's agreement?

Reaction Score
Not sure this is draft.com's wishful thinking or they have Megan's agreement?
All speculation from those who factor into that site's projection process. Walker likely isn't aware of that mock draft site.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I don't think Megan has scratched beyond the surface of her potential. I think she'd improve more next year under Geno's tutelage than on just about any WNBA team.

Plus as pointed out above, if she doesn't win a championship this year, there's a lot of motivation to stick around through next year. I'm champing at the bit to see Megan, Olivia, and Christyn on the court with Paige.

Reaction Score
I 300% agree with Bigboote! I bet MW wants to play with Evina and Paige! She is getting better and better every game! Just love the intensity she exhibits each and every game!
Let’s go Huskies!! MW You Rock!

Reaction Score

1. Because you are only young once. Being a professional athlete is a young person's career.
2. Because many players have already graduated or are close and can complete graduation requirements after starting a pro career. (Many male athletes having left school early have returned to the University of Texas to complete school -- some many years later.)
3. Because, as mentioned by other posters, players can make additional money overseas during the WNBA off season.

I'll be shocked if Megan Walker goes pro early but stranger things have happened.

Reaction Score
1. Because you are only young once. Being a professional athlete is a young person's career.
2. Because many players have already graduated or are close and can complete graduation requirements after starting a pro career. (Many male athletes having left school early have returned to the University of Texas to complete school -- some many years later.)
3. Because, as mentioned by other posters, players can make additional money overseas during the WNBA off season.

I'll be shocked if Megan Walker goes pro early but stranger things have happened.
2.) Can't compare college women players to the men. When they leave early for the pros they are instant millionaires. The womens starting pay until the CBA negotiations was what 50,000! Also notoriety for the women is no where near the men are at. They can make more money overseas playing in front of people in empty gyms where only the best players receive the good salaries. They should finish there eligibility and get their degree!

Reaction Score
What is your definition of "only young once"?
Spend one more year and get your college degree does not make you older.
You are still young and be a even better professional athlete.

Reaction Score
What is your definition of "only young once"?
Spend one more year and get your college degree does not make you older.
You are still young and be a even better professional athlete.
Well,”only young once” can vary by context but I will try to stay on topic here. There are very few players playing in the WNBA at age 35 and beyond. Highly skilled stars who are not derailed by injuries may play through early thirties. Many players are overtaken by the next generation of players by age thirty. Sound about right?

Reaction Score
Well,”only young once” can vary by context but I will try to stay on topic here. There are very few players playing in the WNBA at age 35 and beyond. Highly skilled stars who are not derailed by injuries may play through early thirties. Many players are overtaken by the next generation of players by age thirty. Sound about right?
You didn't answer why spend one more year to get college degree is not "young"..

By your logic, girls should not attend college, go to oversea by 18, and go to WNBA by 21. Since you are only young once and being a professional athlete is a young person's career.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
:eek: WNBA money much better than NCAA= no money.
Overseas money much better than WNBA money.

Reaction Score
:eek: WNBA money much better than NCAA= no money.
Overseas money much better than WNBA money.
NCAA money does include a monthly stipend that allows most college athletes to save a bit after paying for rent, utils, and food. They won't become rich, but with monthly stipends of $1,700+ in some PAC-12 WBB programs, the players can save a few hundred bucks every month if they have occasional access to meals at training table and live at a place with reasonable rent.

Do any of the Boneyard faithful know what a UConn WBB player receives as her monthly stipend this season, assuming that she lives out of the dorms? The permissible NCAA monthly stipend likely varies from campus to campus based upon geographic CPI data and housing costs.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't think Megan has scratched beyond the surface of her potential. I think she'd improve more next year under Geno's tutelage than on just about any WNBA team.
Seems to me that we said something similar about Azura Stevens. I hope Megan doesn’t leave but WCBB is still completely voluntary.

Reaction Score
You didn't answer why spend one more year to get college degree is not "young"..

By your logic, girls should not attend college, go to oversea by 18, and go to WNBA by 21. Since you are only young once and being a professional athlete is a young person's career.
Not at all. I did not say what any girl “should do”, only why some might choose to leave school before exhausting college eligibility. And, again, a good student who has gone to college three years plus summer sessions is likely to be in a position to graduate even if she leaves before playing a 4th year. Of course some players take the opportunity to stay in school and get some graduate school payed for. I admire and applaud those young people also! I expect them to do well in the world.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Seems to me that we said something similar about Azura Stevens. I hope Megan doesn’t leave but WCBB is still completely voluntary.

It's weird -- I didn't see a significant jump in Stevens's game between her time at Duke and UConn. Her outside shooting wasn't as good, and to me she never looked comfortable playing inside on offense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom