Wales and Ireland family travel questions | The Boneyard

Wales and Ireland family travel questions

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Putting the final plans in place for a family trip to Wales and Ireland (London area, too, but I've got that covered) next week and hoping to get some input from any somewhat recent travelers to the area:

• Most pressing issue is car rental. I will be renting a car for two days to visit my wife's relations in the Cardiff, Wales area; and then for another three days to drive from Galway to Kerry to Limerick to Shannon. I drive manual very well and had no problems doing that for a few weeks all over Italy a few summers ago; and I drove stick in Ireland without issue when I was in college, albeit almost 30 years ago now. I'm apprehensive about diving back into the whole driving on the other side of the road, on the other side of the car, and shifting with the other hand thing with the family in tow, including at least one teenage daughter who is known to complain of car sickness with very little prompting. Needless to say, my wife is pushing hard for the automatic, and I will never hear the end of it if they feel sick. But the damn automatics are more than twice the price, meaning literally $500+ more over those rental days. So...the question is whether anyone with similar background/experience can either confirm my fears or give me a boost of confidence about getting a manual vs. automatic, given that itinerary.
  • We fly into Dublin Airport at 8:00 am from Cardiff and are going directly to Galway. Debating coach bus, which sounds very nice, with reclining seats, wi-fi, A/C, bathroom, etc.; or train, which is a little shorter (~3 hrs by bus; ~ 2.6 hrs. by train). Both reasonably priced. Wife thinks bus will be more comfy and scenic, and I don't really have a preference, except to hear from someone who may have direct experience with either.
  • Lastly, any recommendations for must-sees, food, drink, family stuff or anything else in these areas.
Thanks in advance for any insights.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Public transportation in Ireland is good within cities and between cities. If I were staying in Dublin, then you don't really need a car. Same if you were only looking to travel between Dublin and Galway and staying in that city.

My Irish experience was that the best of Ireland was on the road and the little villages and out of the way places. If your intention is to take chartered day trips from Dublin, Galway, Killarney then you can probably do it without a car. But, you'd miss out on some good stuff.

I have no trouble with a manual, but opted to pay for the automatic upgrade. One less thing, and I'm on vacation.

The left side road right side driver is easy if you remember this. Keep the steering wheel in the middle of the road.

The M roads are easy to navigate an barren of cars compared to the US. Have some euros for the tolls and skip the autotoll system. The back roads can be very narrow, but if you drive carefully and pull over for oncoming traffic it's fine.

Rent a pocket hotspot (Mifi) and use your phone instead of a GPS.

Print an online guide to the Ring of Kerry and drive yourself starting early in the morning to beat the busses. Divert to the Ring of Skelling/Valenti Island/Portmagee. Ring of Beara is even better.

Connemara is a great place for a hike. The ride to the nearby Town of Clifden is nice. I recommend Guy's Bar and Snug for lunch or dinner. The pizza is pretty good too.

Any pub playing trad music is fun even if it's more of a touristy thing these days. Smaller the better.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thanks @SubbaBub . Great input. Yeah I'm avoiding the car rental as much as I can, but for where we want to go to see family places in Kerry and Limerick I will need one.

I've been debating Connemara vs. Aran Islands for a day trip from Galway.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I've been to Inishmore and the Connemara.

The Connemara is a park and vast, a good day or more driving the area and seeing/hiking to different spots.

Inishmore is a true day trip. Get on the ferry, get off, rent a bike, tour, or horse buggy ride around the island. Back on the ferry.

Great scenery everywhere. The old fort on Inishmore is pretty cool and you can sit right on the edge of the cliff. Food options on the island are limited.

We enjoyed both, but we stayed in the Connemara region and combined Inishmore and Galway into a single day.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've been to Inishmore and the Connemara.

The Connemara is a park and vast, a good day or more driving the area and seeing/hiking to different spots.

Inishmore is a true day trip. Get on the ferry, get off, rent a bike, tour, or horse buggy ride around the island. Back on the ferry.

Great scenery everywhere. The old fort on Inishmore is pretty cool and you can sit right on the edge of the cliff. Food options on the island are limited.

We enjoyed both, but we stayed in the Connemara region and combined Inishmore and Galway into a single day.
Thanks again. Your itinerary is more in line with what I'd prefer, but I've got to balance the interests of three daughters and a wife, so the appetite for vast, extreme landscape, hiking, ancient history and lots of driving will be less than what I would prefer. That's why we're staying in Galway, as it seems a vibrant, fun, cultural area that is easily walkable, with shops, cafes, pubs, etc. to interest all.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
There are countless tour operators in every major city especially in Dublin, Galway and Killarney. If you don't mind following their schedules then you should be fine. The Quay Street and Salthill areas should suit your needs quite well. Killarney is very walkable.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
About 20 years ago I was with some buds at a bar in Rocky Hill. We were laughing it up but I couldn't help overhearing two hefty Irish women at the bar. I loved their accents and laughter. So, yep, I asked:

Dove: You ladies from Ireland? I love your accents.

Woman #2: It's Wales ya dummy.

Dove: [taken aback]: Oh...ummm...are you whales from Ireland?

Reaction Score
About 20 years ago I was with some buds at a bar in Rocky Hill. We were laughing it up but I couldn't help overhearing two hefty Irish women at the bar. I loved their accents and laughter. So, yep, I asked:

Dove: You ladies from Ireland? I love your accents.

Woman #2: It's Wales ya dummy.

Dove: [taken aback]: Oh...ummm...are you whales from Ireland?
Brilliant!

Reaction Score
I drove manual 13 years ago and loved it except for when the tour bus comes down the hill at 100mph and you're trying to make sure your little car squeezes between the side of the road and bus.

If you want to see the real Ireland just take the car, your family will appreciate it, and the windows go down in case of car sickness LOL. One of the most beautiful places in the world....and you might bump into Star Wars being filmed LOL.

God I have to get back there to drink the real Guinness. Couldn't drink the American stuff for a couple weeks when I came back.

Reaction Score
Luke Skywalker:

Luke-Skywalker-pulls-pints-of-Guinness-at-Irish-pub.jpg

Reaction Score
Putting the final plans in place for a family trip to Wales and Ireland (London area, too, but I've got that covered) next week and hoping to get some input from any somewhat recent travelers to the area:

• Most pressing issue is car rental. I will be renting a car for two days to visit my wife's relations in the Cardiff, Wales area; and then for another three days to drive from Galway to Kerry to Limerick to Shannon. I drive manual very well and had no problems doing that for a few weeks all over Italy a few summers ago; and I drove stick in Ireland without issue when I was in college, albeit almost 30 years ago now. I'm apprehensive about diving back into the whole driving on the other side of the road, on the other side of the car, and shifting with the other hand thing with the family in tow, including at least one teenage daughter who is known to complain of car sickness with very little prompting. Needless to say, my wife is pushing hard for the automatic, and I will never hear the end of it if they feel sick. But the damn automatics are more than twice the price, meaning literally $500+ more over those rental days. So...the question is whether anyone with similar background/experience can either confirm my fears or give me a boost of confidence about getting a manual vs. automatic, given that itinerary.
  • We fly into Dublin Airport at 8:00 am from Cardiff and are going directly to Galway. Debating coach bus, which sounds very nice, with reclining seats, wi-fi, A/C, bathroom, etc.; or train, which is a little shorter (~3 hrs by bus; ~ 2.6 hrs. by train). Both reasonably priced. Wife thinks bus will be more comfy and scenic, and I don't really have a preference, except to hear from someone who may have direct experience with either.
  • Lastly, any recommendations for must-sees, food, drink, family stuff or anything else in these areas.
Thanks in advance for any insights.

I spent a week driving all through Ireland (about 10+ years ago). Hadn't driven a stick shift for many years, but it's like riding a bike. Roads were super easy to traverse and it's not like you will be driving through the mountains with lots of curves and shifting. Don't be afraid to rent a car if necessary.

With the family -- Galway will be a blast. Lots of fun places to dine/drink and has a really young/hip vibe.

Whats the plan for London? I am in process of planning a family trip this Summer. Any thoughts or insight would help.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I spent a week driving all through Ireland (about 10+ years ago). Hadn't driven a stick shift for many years, but it's like riding a bike. Roads were super easy to traverse and it's not like you will be driving through the mountains with lots of curves and shifting. Don't be afraid to rent a car if necessary.

With the family -- Galway will be a blast. Lots of fun places to dine/drink and has a really young/hip vibe.

Whats the plan for London? I am in process of planning a family trip this Summer. Any thoughts or insight would help.
Thanks!

Yeah, we are definitely renting a car for the two days in Cardiff and three days of Galway to Kerry to Limerick to Shannon, but that just may be the boost of confidence I was looking for to man up and get the stick (and a healthy excuse to blow the extra $500 elsewhere).

As for London, we have cousins who live in Surrey (an hour by train to London) and will be staying with them for four nights at the beginning of the trip and another four nights at the end. We are hoping for them to Julie McCoy us for a lot of the local stuff, but so far the only definites (other than the obvious Big Ben, Changing of the Guard, Buckingham Palace, Abbey Road, etc.) are the British Museum, London Eye, Tower of London and A Midsummer Night's Dream at the Globe. On the menu for possible day trips are Brighton, Churchill's House and Canterbury Cathedral, Stonehenge, Bath and/or Hampton Court. I am most intrigued by Stonehenge but need to do some research on the options. I would also like to catch a match at Wimbledon, but I'm not sure that will be a big draw for the others. I was also hopeful on seeing Elton John at Blenheim Palace, but the timing and logistics conspired against me.

Reaction Score
Rent a car and stop and see things that intertest you. A few years ago, I was driving west of Cork on a Sunday morning, and came to a sandwich sign that said "caution: road bowling". So I stopped and watched a couple of guys rolling iron balls down the road, trying to complete a course in the fewest throws. The real action was the spectators, arguing about, and betting on each throw. You don't get an experience like that riding a tourist bus.

Reaction Score
Cliffs of moher are probably the most amazing natural scenery I've ever seen. Very intense.
Not sure I could handle it with my kids. Hard enough time telling my wife to step back.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Walking through Cardiff Airport at 5:00 a.m. this morning for our flight to Dublin, my girls spotted a guy wearing a UConn sweatshirt across the terminal and pointed him out to me. So of course I did what any one of us would have done, and belted out "Go Huskies!" at the top of my lungs, horrifying them, him, my wife and everyone else within range.

He gave a nervous smile and carried on. Then I noticed he was waiting for the same plane and when we met eyes again I smiled and said "Did you go to UConn?" He just shook his head to indicate "no," and then diverted his eyes. And then he made sure to sit a good distance from us on the plane and immediately went to sleep so I couldn't bug him any more. I'm still dying to know why he was wearing the sweatshirt (with an old school Husky btw), but he clearly wasn't interested and my girls were already cringing so I let it go.

Pretty sure I'm on a watch list now.

Anywho, great trip so far. And getting the stick was definitely the way to go.

Reaction Score
Walking through Cardiff Airport at 5:00 a.m. this morning for our flight to Dublin, my girls spotted a guy wearing a UConn sweatshirt across the terminal and pointed him out to me. So of course I did what any one of us would have done, and belted out "Go Huskies!" at the top of my lungs, horrifying them, him, my wife and everyone else within range.

He gave a nervous smile and carried on. Then I noticed he was waiting for the same plane and when we met eyes again I smiled and said "Did you go to UConn?" He just shook his head to indicate "no," and then diverted his eyes. And then he made sure to sit a good distance from us on the plane and immediately went to sleep so I couldn't bug him any more. I'm still dying to know why he was wearing the sweatshirt (with an old school Husky btw), but he clearly wasn't interested and my girls were already cringing so I let it go.

I guess there are those out there who get sweatshirts and such who don't deserve them? Have a safe trip 8893 and enjoy. No drinking!

Reaction Score
I rented an automatic a couple of years ago and drove from Dublin to Galway stopping along the way.

So here is my two cents:

1. The GPS with the car was awful. We got sidetracked many times so go with the hotspot with your phone.
2. We stopped at abandoned castles and historic spots along the way that were not on the maps. It was the best part of the trip to run into an unexpected spots and go exploring.
3. It took me a couple of days to get used to the left side of the road driving. It was my wife freaking out who kept ducking with the onslaught of hedges scraping the car as you try to avoid tour buses taking up most of the road.
4. The Irish were the most friendly folks. Don't hesitate to stop at a pub and shoot the breeze for hours.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Cliffs of moher are probably the most amazing natural scenery I've ever seen. Very intense.
Not sure I could handle it with my kids. Hard enough time telling my wife to step back.

They really were spectacular. I also remember being amazed at the stupidity of some of the visitors and the edges. And this was before everyone was taking selfies everywhere.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I've been to Ireland and Wales. Wales is one if most beautiful places I've ever been. The forests remind me of a Brothers Grimm fairy tale. However, the people may be the most depressed and subdued in the world. I think it's because of the dreary weather there. The people rarely smile and aren't big on small talk. The place had a bit of the original "Wicker Man" vibe to it.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

We're going to Ireland in late August. Looking forward to it!

Reaction Score
Don't know D about this topic. Just heard a true story recently you might like.

Woman on bus in the UK wearing traditional muslim outfit is talking to woman next to her in foreign language. After some time, a proper looking englishman interrupts her and says, "you're in the UK - you should learn how to speak English." The woman to whom she was talking looks sternly at the Englishman and scolds - "She's speaking Welsh, and we're in Wales."

True Story.
Last Post. Goodbye Boneyard.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Don't know D about this topic. Just heard a true story recently you might like.

Woman on bus in the UK wearing traditional muslim outfit is talking to woman next to her in foreign language. After some time, a proper looking englishman interrupts her and says, "you're in the UK - you should learn how to speak English." The woman to whom she was talking looks sternly at the Englishman and scolds - "She's speaking Welsh, and we're in Wales."

True Story.
Last Post. Goodbye Boneyard.

Why last post? Oh, that sounds like a trick question. Take it easy, Frank. Come back if you change your mind.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Ok...two comments..

1) If you are in a pub at night listening to traditional music, don't, please don't ask then to play Danny Boy.

2) If it takes 2 or 3 pours when getting your Guiness from the tap, they aren't ignoring you. It takes that long to pour a Guiness from the tap properly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom