Wake Forest, UNC, Duke, Virginis supported UConn | The Boneyard

Wake Forest, UNC, Duke, Virginis supported UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wake Forest, Duke, UNC, Virginia supported UConn

So says Kevin Nathan

Syracuse, FSU, Clemson were cited by Jurich as being strong advocates of Louisville.

Maybe Virginia will be an advocate to the Big 10...

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure if that's a vote count, so much as reporting on who was fully in our corner. Irony there is that at almost any point in ACC history, you'd figure that if you got Duke, North Carolina, Virginia and Wake, you're golden.

Reaction Score
That is the academic bloc. Adds some color to the UNC chancellor's statement that Louisville was added purely forr sports, not academics.

Reaction Score
That's it?? 4 votes, we never had a chance.

Doesn't sound like 4 votes - sounds like the people who really wanted us in the ACC. Makes sense...all "basketball" schools (at least more than football). It basically sounds like we had those 4, L'Ville had the other 3...and the rest had to choose one side or the other.

Makes sense why they chose L'Ville considering FSU and Clemson want to leave. This seems like a last ditch effort for the ACC to keep the ACC intact for as long as it can.

Reaction Score
Coach K has always had our backs unfortunately he has no influence. It must be strange for him, you're considered the best college bball coach of all-time and you have no influence whatsoever.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
cuse pitt and nd dont have votes yet
md is gone
uva/vt/unc/duke/wake-yes
ncst/clem/gt/fsu/miami-no
bc-no? i find that hard to beleive they voted for lville over uconn...

this would be what hes getting at if a uconn vote was even the case

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure if that's a vote count, so much as reporting on who was fully in our corner. Irony there is that at almost any point in ACC history, you'd figure that if you got Duke, North Carolina, Virginia and Wake, you're golden.

It's all about keeping FSU and Clemson from going because they know they'll bring in the big $$ on a TV contract for football purposes.

I'm not sure if the ACC is prepared for what they have coming to them...because the writing is on the wall...no matter what the ACC does, FSU and Clemson are as good as gone - and then the REAL floodgates open.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
FSU, Clemson, and BC alone had enough power to veto UConn. If FSU and Clemson leave (likely), we are going to be invited (the ACC needs 14 teams for their contract to be legitimate).

I find this encouraging.

Reaction Score
So, BC F#$ked us again. The fruit didn't have a vote. I though Warde was buddies with the new BC AD. I guess..not so much

Reaction Score
FSU, Clemson, and BC alone had enough power to veto UConn. If FSU and Clemson leave (likely), we are going to be invited (the ACC needs 14 teams for their contract to be legitimate).

I find this encouraging.

Not so sure. USF was talked about and if FSU leaves, the ACC may look in their direction.

Reaction Score
Not so sure. USF was talked about and if FSU leaves, the ACC may look in their direction.

Yeah, wouldn't be surprised that if FSU and Clemson leave, the ACC brings in USF and Cincy... They know UConn isn't going anywhere...

Reaction Score
Virginia must stand up and do the honorable thing. The ACC has made a mockery of athletics. It has relegated as inconsequential the core academic mission of a university. It is time for Virginia to say, "no more, our honor will stand" and leave for the Big 10 (where conveniently it would make twice as much money).

U

UConn9604

I thought the same thing this morning -- not about USF (because the ACC would presumably still have Miami) but about Cincinnati (in Ohio, where it has no presence). I mean, if you've already added one Conference USA academic casualty, what's another?

I am not sure whether BC screwed us but I would bet my mortgage that FSU and Clemson voted no, meaning we'd have to sweep the rest of the slate of 9 to win. If you take Nathan's comment at face value (that the four academics supported us), then that leaves just one of Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, BC, Miami or N.C. State to vote "no" in order to knock us out.

Of that crew, Dr. Herbst has ties at Georgia Tech; we previously played with (and are an academic peer) of Virginia Tech and I know of no bad blood between us, and they may have voted in harmony with UVa; and we just played N.C. State in football and have them on the schedule in hoops.

That leaves, in my mind, either BC or Miami as the third "no" vote. With Fr. Leahy leaving and DeFilippo gone, I'd actually guess Miami over BC, to be honest.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I don't know that a vote for UConn is necessarily a vote against Louisville and vice versa.

Theoretically couldn't a school vote for both candidates and once the first candidate has 9 other schools sign off on them, they win?

If you are on the fence you could vote for both schools if you wouldn't mind either joining or neither if you're actually opposed to both.

This is why I don't know that we will ever truly know a full count of who voted for us and for Louisville. They could be the same schools.

U

UConn9604

That leaves, in my mind, either BC or Miami as the third "no" vote. With Fr. Leahy leaving and DeFilippo gone, I'd actually guess Miami over BC, to be honest.

Of course, if I'm right, that we were only one vote short, then presumably Blauds would have included that in one of his tweets last night, too.

So, feel free to resume your previously scheduled hatred of The Heights.

Reaction Score
Syracuse, Pitt, and ND had no vote. I don't think BC screwed UConn. I think they voted yes to either UConn or Louisville. My guess is that football schools were more opposed to UConn based on football than the academic schools were opposed to Louisville based on academics. I also believe that UConn was probably 2 or 3 votes short. Thus I think it was: Duke, UNC, Wake Forest, Virginia, BC yes VT, NC St., GT, FSU, Clemson, Miami no

Reaction Score
Virginia must stand up and do the honorable thing. The ACC has made a mockery of athletics. It has relegated as inconsequential the core academic mission of a university. It is time for Virginia to say, "no more, our honor will stand" and leave for the Big 10 (where conveniently it would make twice as much money).

They need to end their speech by saying "it's not about the money." Just so everyone can interpret the speech accurately.

pj

Reaction Score
I think that if FSU and Clemson were strongly opposed to a school, the other schools weren't going to cross them, since they can't afford to lose their top football programs.

So it comes down we have to develop our football program enough to be attractive to schools who care only about football.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think that if FSU and Clemson were strongly opposed to a school, the other schools weren't going to cross them, since they can't afford to lose their top football programs.

So it comes down we have to develop our football program enough to be attractive to schools who care only about football.
Too late for that I'm afraid.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score

Or, we can just fire Warde Manual and hire Florida State's Assistant Athletic Director as our new AD. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
This is good to know, because very possible some combination of uVA, FSU, Clem, NCST, Va Tech will go.

I find this encouraging.

Reaction Score
I don't know that a vote for UConn is necessarily a vote against Louisville and vice versa.

In an organization like an athletic conference, your votes on membership candidates don't tend to be binary votes like that. It's "Here is a list of membership candidates", and they're each voted on individually.

Because the circumstances seemed to demand that there be only one candidate in the end, voting could appear to be zero-sum like that. However, one school definitely could have supported multiple candidates, and had the ACC been interested in multiple candidates at the time, Louisville and UConn would have had their own individual votes.

Reaction Score
I think you are sort of right king. More likely that both candidates where brought up, discussed and people took sides. i doubt very much there was anything like a vote where the parties said UConn or Louisville. More likely Virginia, NC Wake and Duke "spoke" in support of UConn and Florida State, Georgia Tech Miami and so forth most strongly for Louisville. there were likely a few who could have gone either way and just went with the majority. At the end of the day there was probably 1 vote to admit Louisville. May have been some no votes, but once it was clear that one side was not backing down, everyone went along to keep peace/keep them in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom