WAKE FOREST - CLEMSON | The Boneyard

WAKE FOREST - CLEMSON

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Watching the game last night, I thought the crowd was much less impressive than the ECU-UCONN game.
Yes the ACC has FSU, Louisville, Clemson, Notre Dame but overall, the ACC does not have much on the AAC. I can see the AAC (if it holds together) one day being on a par or perhaps surpassing them with the likes of UCF, USF, Cincy, ECU, Memphis, Navy, Houston, Temple and yes UCONN. Tulsa & SMU can also get it going. Not so sure about Tulane long term. As it is playing out, there appears to be a lot more balance in the AAC.

Now if Aresco can somehow bridge the $20,000,000 gap! That is the big question. Obviously for the moola, if the ACC or B1G calls UCONN has to go. If Notre Dame does not make the playoffs and decides to opt for full membership in the ACC then the chances of UCONN entering as the 16th team appear high. Until then, I am enjoying the competition in the American! That is a mouthful considering the Big East was considered left for dead 2-3 years ago.

Reaction Score
Um, the Big East was considered left for dead because it was dead. It died.

I also think any league hoping to keep pace with any of the P5 conferences, given the money disparity and everything else is a pure pipe dream. Can we compete with the lower level P5 teams sure. But who cares? We need to get out of the AAC, end of story.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why would not making the playoffs make Notre Dame want to join the ACC? So they can have a weaker schedule?

Reaction Score
Watching the game last night, I thought the crowd was much less impressive than the ECU-UCONN game.
Yes the ACC has FSU, Louisville, Clemson, Notre Dame but overall, the ACC does not have much on the AAC. I can see the AAC (if it holds together) one day being on a par or perhaps surpassing them with the likes of UCF, USF, Cincy, ECU, Memphis, Navy, Houston, Temple and yes UCONN. Tulsa & SMU can also get it going. Not so sure about Tulane long term. As it is playing out, there appears to be a lot more balance in the AAC.

Now if Aresco can somehow bridge the $20,000,000 gap! That is the big question. Obviously for the moola, if the ACC or B1G calls UCONN has to go. If Notre Dame does not make the playoffs and decides to opt for full membership in the ACC then the chances of UCONN entering as the 16th team appear high. Until then, I am enjoying the competition in the American! That is a mouthful considering the Big East was considered left for dead 2-3 years ago.

ND's most recent academic scandal, for lack of a better term, certainly make them eligible with the likes of FSU and UNC! ;)

Reaction Score
Why would not making the playoffs make Notre Dame want to join the ACC? So they can have a weaker schedule?

In the absence of a league Championship game they need one more game to influence the judges. If they don't join the ACC they may have to play one more game with a major team to impact the panel.

"Bigger for the ACC would be for a one-loss Notre Dame team to get left out of the playoff. The only way the ACC will ever get Notre Dame to join the conference as a full member is for the Irish’s football program to be damaged by its independence."

Read this article to see why joining the ACC may help Notre Dame when it comes to the play offs. BYU Kind of has the same issue because of their Independence.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/10/19/4248016/late-hits-notre-dame-loss-could.html#storylink=cpy

Reaction Score
Um, the Big East was considered left for dead because it was dead. It died.

I also think any league hoping to keep pace with any of the P5 conferences, given the money disparity and everything else is a pure pipe dream. Can we compete with the lower level P5 teams sure. But who cares? We need to get out of the AAC, end of story.

Pipe dream only if a better TV deal cannot be reached. Aresco's push to include the American as a Power "6" conference along with an expansion of the play offs could change things.

The American's Thursday and Friday night National TV schedule has given the league's teams tremendous exposure that should not be underestimated. That was an ingenious move that can only help the conference gain stature.

The remaining 4 teams (UCONN, Cincy, USF and Temple) morphed into the American with the other CUSA teams and the pundits said it would not work at all! Unlike you and others, I see some potential for the conference especially with Navy joining in 2015.

I understand you thoughts Jimmy but you are beating the same old drum. Fact is, the American has surprised a lot of people and is a better than expected conference.
For Petes' sake, we won two National Basketball Championships in this conference.
So again, aside from the TV money (which is a huge problem) it hasn't been so bad. The coaches in both sports have a lot of respect for the competing teams.

Sorry but I " We need to get out of the AAC, end of story" is too simplistic of a reply. Truth is after the blood bath in the Big East UCONN could have found themselves much worse off than they are today.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In the absence of a league Championship game they need one more game to influence the judges. If they don't join the ACC they may have to play one more game with a major team to impact the panel.

"Bigger for the ACC would be for a one-loss Notre Dame team to get left out of the playoff. The only way the ACC will ever get Notre Dame to join the conference as a full member is for the Irish’s football program to be damaged by its independence."

Read this article to see why joining the ACC may help Notre Dame when it comes to the play offs. BYU Kind of has the same issue because of their Independence.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/10/19/4248016/late-hits-notre-dame-loss-could.html#storylink=cpy

That argument is just wrong. It's just as likely that a championship game loss keeps them out.

If they get left out with one loss it's because their schedule ended up not being good enough. Stanford, Michigan, and USC would be the issue for Notre Dame. Not the lack of a championship game.

Reaction Score
That argument is just wrong. It's just as likely that a championship game loss keeps them out.

If they get left out with one loss it's because their schedule ended up not being good enough. Stanford, Michigan, and USC would be the issue for Notre Dame. Not the lack of a championship game.

A one loss Notre Dame team that also beats Florida State in a Championship game solidifies their chances of getting to the playoffs. Don't forget, as of now there are only 4 play off spots. Having said that, I see it going to 8 which helps ND get into the tournament in the absence of a League Championship game.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
A one loss Notre Dame team that also beats Florida State in a Championship game solidifies their chances of getting to the playoffs. Don't forget, as of now there are only 4 play off spots. Having said that, I see it going to 8 which helps ND get into the tournament in the absence of a League Championship game.

Oh there are only 4 playoff spots. Thx.

Reaction Score
Oh there are only 4 playoff spots. Thx.

4 team playoff will not last long. Too many teams left out. The luxury of Independence may be fleeting is all I am saying. Sarcasm? Really?

Reaction Score
4 team playoff will not last long. Too many teams left out. The luxury of Independence may be fleeting is all I am saying. Sarcasm? Really?

You can make the argument that a lack of championship game can help them as well.

As for Aresco bridging the $20 million gap, he'll get right on that as soon as he's done curing cancer.

Reaction Score
You can make the argument that a lack of championship game can help them as well.

As for Aresco bridging the $20 million gap, he'll get right on that as soon as he's done curing cancer.

Jimmy, you seem like a good guy but I am sure glad you are not the league commissioner! I much prefer a great promoter and businessman like Mike Aresco. Nothing is a lock but without a vision, the people perish!

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2014/08/28/College-Football-Preview/Aresco.aspx?

Reaction Score
Pipe dream only if a better TV deal cannot be reached. Aresco's push to include the American as a Power "6" conference along with an expansion of the play offs could change things.

The American's Thursday and Friday night National TV schedule has given the league's teams tremendous exposure that should not be underestimated. That was an ingenious move that can only help the conference gain stature.

The remaining 4 teams (UCONN, Cincy, USF and Temple) morphed into the American with the other CUSA teams and the pundits said it would not work at all! Unlike you and others, I see some potential for the conference especially with Navy joining in 2015.

I understand you thoughts Jimmy but you are beating the same old drum. Fact is, the American has surprised a lot of people and is a better than expected conference.
For Petes' sake, we won two National Basketball Championships in this conference.
So again, aside from the TV money (which is a huge problem) it hasn't been so bad. The coaches in both sports have a lot of respect for the competing teams.

Sorry but I " We need to get out of the AAC, end of story" is too simplistic of a reply. Truth is after the blood bath in the Big East UCONN could have found themselves much worse off than they are today.

Have you seen the ESPN Thursday night rating against the NFL? ESPN views it a filler programming, nothing more.

This year's AAC champion will likely play in the BBVA Compass Bowl in Birmingham Alabama. As long as that is the case this conference is nothing more than a dumpster fire

Reaction Score
Have you seen the ESPN Thursday night rating against the NFL? ESPN views it a filler programming, nothing more.

This year's AAC champion will likely play in the BBVA Compass Bowl in Birmingham Alabama. As long as that is the case this conference is nothing more than a dumpster fire

As Aresco states (and who I am sure knows more about viewership than you or I), it will take time to build the brand. Don't forget the Conference is only in it's second year of existence.

FYI - no championship game this year, not until Navy joins in 2015

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Not only that half the time it's on ESPNU.

Like tonight Utah St and Wyoming are on ESPN2. The AAC is on the U.

What exposure!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The name of the conference is in it's second year.

The conference has been around plenty of time.

Reaction Score
Guys, give Carl a break. I am as negative as anyone about the AAC and believe that UConn needs to get to a better place in order to keep from slowly bleeding the AD to death. But there is a small chance that his pie in the sky scenario works. RU has AL we have Carl. After all how many expected a 1-0 victory in the first HE home game against "the school that will not be named". If you can't be delusional from time to time are you really a fan?

Reaction Score
The name of the conference is in it's second year.

The conference has been around plenty of time.

The American Athletic Conference is in it's second year.

Aside from their modest TV deal, I found this interesting:

The AAC and Big East form a sort of middle class, taking home some $72 million and $50 million, respectively, this year. The American netted a respectable $30 million from bowls, ranking just behind the Pac-12, and another $22 million from NCAA Tournament play, good for the second-highest among all conferences.

UCONN played a big part in that which will not go unnoticed by the ACC and B1G.

When you look at the 70 Million the American did compared to all the other lessor conferences, you can see why Aresco pitches the league as a Power 6 or 5+1:

After those two is a host of smaller conferences that are forced to split the scraps. The Mountain West leads the lower class thanks to $13.5 million from bowls and tournament play, plus a new ESPN TV deal that reportedly pays an average $18 million per year (this year’s payout is closer to $14 million).

The other non-AQ conferences – the MAC, Conference USA and Sun Belt – are even further behind. None of those three have proved much on the basketball court, with the three earning around $7.5 million combined this year. On the football field, all four of the non-AQ conferences suffered this year because BCS bowl revenue was cut in halfwhen Bowling Green knocked off Northern Illinois in the MAC Championship. Had NIU won, the Huskies would have automatically qualified for a BCS bowl and the four non-AQ conferences would have shared $28.5 million; instead, they got just $14.3 million.

The Atlantic 10, a non-football conference, cracks the top 10 just from its basketball play (worth $11.5 million this year) and a handful of new eight-year TV deals with ESPN, CBS and NBC that are, in total, worth around $5 million per year on average.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Guys, give Carl a break. I am as negative as anyone about the AAC and believe that UConn needs to get to a better place in order to keep from slowly bleeding the AD to death. But there is a small chance that his pie in the sky scenario works. RU has AL we have Carl. After all how many expected a 1-0 victory in the first HE home game against "the school that will not be named". If you can't be delusional from time to time are you really a fan?

Thanks John but I don't need the help and I am not being delusional. Most of the coaches in the League see if for what it really is. I can't help it if people get brain washed by talk radio and the media which has been trying to squelch every team other than a power 5 team. To relegate EVERYTHING down to money all the time cheapens and devalues intercollegiate sports. We have a great leader in Mike Aresco and until he fails and gives up, I am in his court. If UCONN has the opportunity to join a P5 league I will naturally be for it. In the meantime, I am enjoying life in the American. My recent visits to New Orleans and Greenville were great! Being negative is easy. I know what delusional thinking is. There is a difference between taking a positive position and being delusional.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Thanks John but I don't need the help and I am not being delusional. Most of the coaches in the League see if for what it really is. I can't help it if people get brain washed by talk radio and the media which has been trying to squelch every team other than a power 5 team. To relegate EVERYTHING down to money all the time cheapens and devalues intercollegiate sports. We have a great leader in Mike Aresco and until he fails and gives up, I am in his court. If UCONN has the opportunity to join a P5 league I will naturally be for it. In the meantime, I am enjoying life in the American. My recent visits to New Orleans and Greenville were great! Being negative is easy. I know what delusional thinking is. There is a difference between taking a positive position and being delusional.

16-27 OOC (8 of those wins coming against FCS teams)
3-17 vs. P5 schools

Yes we are all being brainwashed.

Reaction Score
16-27 OOC (8 of those wins coming against FCS teams)
3-17 vs. P5 schools

Yes we are all being brainwashed.

No question disappointing v P5. The conference is emerging and in fact a work in Process, however teams have made major investments in facilities and securing 1st rate coaching talent. Temple and Memphis are coming out of the doldrums. Temple beat Vandy and Memphis played currently 18th ranked UCLA 42-35 in the Rose Bowl. Although Cincinnati was disappointing against Ohio State and Miami, the real blowouts against P5 teams came from the bottom of the league, SMU, Tulsa and
Tulane. ECU, Memphis and UCF showed competitiveness. I see UCONN, SMU and Tulsa all improving. Tulane ehh.

No question the establishment is promoting distance between the P5 and everyone else. That is what I meant by brainwashing.

I still see the potential in this conference. Of course if teams like UCONN, Cincy and UCF and USF leave then I would lose confidence
it it's ability to be a viable conference.

Cincy Ohio State L 50-28
Cincy Miami L 55-34
ECU S. Carolina L 33-23
ECU VA Tech W 28-21
ECU NC W 70-41
MEMPHIS UCLA L 42-35
MEMPHIS Miss L 24-3
SMU Baylor L 45-0
SMU TX A&M L 58-6
SMU TCU L 56-0
USF Maryland L 24-17
USF NC State L 49-17
USF Wisconsin L 27-10
Temple Vandy W 37-7
Temple Penn St. TBD
Tulane GA Tech L 38-21
Tulane Duke L 47-13
Tulane Rutgers L 31-6
Tulsa Oklahoma L 52-7
UCF Penn St. L 26-24
UCF Missou L 38-10

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Carl you act like this is a startup. The league has existed for decades. Chaging the name from CUSA to the American doesn't make it any better.

Reaction Score
I honestly don't even know what to say about the OP. I like to think I'm about as optimistic as they come, but WOW!

Reaction Score
I honestly don't even know what to say about the OP. I like to think I'm about as optimistic as they come, but WOW!

And UCONN has been playing big boy football since 2002 so why are any of us on this frekin board to begin with. Who are we to think we can play on the same field as a Notre Dame or a Baylor or South Carolina. Let's just go back to the Yankee conference were we belong with Vermont and New Hampshire.

Reaction Score
la, la, la la ,la ....."If you can't be with the one you love, then love the one you're with"......la ,ala,la,,la,la
Realistically, Confident Carl is right.....

Do you actually think we're going P5? Forget it.....
This conference needs to win, yes overall, a bit down this year....but next, I do believe will be incredible
for the AAC.

I was at the ECU game....just an incredible atmosphere. So don't knock the OP unless you were there.
Tulane gameday was pretty incredible.....didn't see too many of you at either place.

la, la, la la ,la ....."If you can't be with the one you love, then love the one you're with"......la ,ala,la,,la,la

A healthy Casey puts us at 4 & 4 possibly 5 & 3 with wins at USF, Tulane and Boise. Sooo.....

We're not going to outmuscle ESPN..... but this is where it's all going. There is too much money on the table
to have it all stay with a 4 team playoff. Power player teams in the SEC, ND, Big 10 and PAC 12 with one loss left out
in 4 weeks will force the playoff to 8 teams next year and 16 teams in 4 years. The cream will rise in each conference.,
including the AAC.

Agree with Confident Carl, Aresco gets us a big TV contract re-write in 2 years and most of you can STFU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom