OT: Waiting for Godot Quiz | The Boneyard

OT: Waiting for Godot Quiz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
OT: Waiting for Godot (AKA WIRECHIEF) Quiz

My understanding is Wirechief is on hiatus for two weeks. So I thought I would previde a quiz for your pleasure without Wirechif;s cleverness with replies, clues, and summary answers and credits. Just Q&A period. Not trying to take the Master's place. Can't be done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. In what year was UCONN established and what type of university is it?
2. Who is considered the father of computing?
3. Who is considered the father of computer science and artificial intelligence?
4. What NFL team has the most players in the Football Hall of Fame and how many?
5. Who are generally considered the Big Three of science fiction?
6. What parts of the sea urchin are considered by some to be culinary delicacies?
7. What is Cytospora canker?
8. Describe the Arnold Press.
9. What two peoples independently created the concept of zero as a number and not as a placeholder?
10. What person introduced the zero as a number into the West?
11. What word has its roots in the Arabic word “sifr?”
12. Name four lakes in the Italian Lake District?
13. What did the Libyan rebels buy on the Internet to aid with their military efforts?
14. Why is it ironic that the play “Waiting for Godot” was voted the most significant English language play of the 20th century?
15. Who wrote “Waiting for Godot?”
16. The legal term “abjure” means what?
17. What is the Connecticut state fossil?
18. Connecticut comes from an Indian word meaning what?
19. The reign of King James VI of Scotland is known as the Jacobean Era of English literature. Why?
20. What was the first American novel?
21. What is unique about Jan Van Eyck’s painting, “Giovanni Arnolfini and His Bride?”
22. On 24 August what astronomical event was discovered within “hours” of its occurrence?
23. Excluding all other Nobel laureates who had a higher IQ than Nobel laureate Dr. Richard Feynman?
24. What is Muddy Waters birth name?
25. Chester Arthur Burnett was a great American blues artist. What is his stage name?

Reaction Score
(18) Long River
(21) Not sure what you're going for here. There are several things.
(25) CAB Calloway

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Boy is wirechief gonna be upset with you muscling in on his quizzes.

Reaction Score
2. Charles Babbage
3. Norbert Weiner
5. ABC Asimov Bradbury Clarke (but Campbell era, outdated)
10. Averroes (?)
11. Cypher
13. drone aircraft
24. McKinley Morganfield

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
2. Touring, or mebbe Babbbage
3. Touring
5. Asimov, Clarke and mebbe Bradbury?
9. The Arabs and the Maya
11. Zephyr, mebbe?
15. Samuel Beckett
16. renounce

Reaction Score
Boy is wirechief gonna be upset with you muscling in on his quizzes.

Not muscling in. Just taking up space while he is on hiatus. He said in his last quiz he was going on a 2 week hiatus. NCorBust referred to him as "Waiting for Godot" since his last quiz came out a tad later than usual. When Wirechief returns I shall disappear. Wirechief is a Master and I know that. I will not intrude on his realm.

Reaction Score
14) Waiting for Godot is actually a translation of an originally French work (En Attendant Godot)!
19) Jacob is the Greco-Roman version of James.

Yay to another kitty kat on the board!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Not muscling in. Just taking up space while he is on hiatus. He said in his last quiz he was going on a 2 week hiatus. NCorBust referred to him as "Waiting for Godot" since his last quiz came out a tad later than usual. When Wirechief returns I shall disappear. Wirechief is a Master and I know that. I will not intrude on his realm.

Just teasing, it's a great idea. Thought you might have been wirechief with a new name on the new board.

Reaction Score
23 Marilyn vos Savant

Yes, you are right. However, it is not the person I have in mind. vos Savant Apparently has a higher IQ than anyone, however. So why isn't she a Nobel Laureate?

Reaction Score

HINT: Before 1900 and after 1879; I will grant you more time
4. What NFL team has the most players in the Football Hall of Fame and how many?
HINT: Geez, barely a nibble; the cube root is a singe digit
Rocky Rococo (2) & elzorrogris (2) have the two correct, HINT: Chronically pray to Ares for help
6. What parts of the sea urchin are considered by some to be culinary delicacies?
HINT: The soft parts of most any animal
HINT: Do I look like I need chlorophyll?
HINT: Looks like a dumbbell touchdown signal
10. What person introduced the zero as a number into the West around 1200 AD?
HINT: He played with golden string mathematically
HINT: George Clooney lives on one, has Lou gone – no?, Ray, it is a majority, morsel left at an Italian meal
HINT: Let's try the English for it. Think of big feet but without fur.
HINT: caravaggio is close, Proximity to a type of river in Connecticut
HINT: Consoling a person in need can be strengthening
21. What is unique about Jan van Eyck’s painting, “Giovanni Arnolfini and His Bride?”
HINT: Reflect on the background and think of Kilroy was here.
22. On 24 August what astronomical event was discovered within “hours” of its
occurrence?
HINT: It was an explosive event
23. Excluding all other Nobel laureates who had a higher IQ than Nobel laureate Dr.
Richard Feynman?
HINT: Think family

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
12. Well, since I was just by Clooney's place the other day, Como must be one. I assume Lugano is another one. There's a Lake Garda in the region, but I can't get any others without looking at a map.

Reaction Score

1881, Land Grant University
2. Who is considered the father of computing?
Charles Babbage – Rocky Rococo, elzorrogris
3. Who is considered the father of computer science and artificial intelligence?
Alan Turing -- elzorrogris
Chicago Bears, 27
Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein, and Arthur C. Clark -- Rocky Rococo (2), elzorrogris (2)
The Japanese say Uni. Others euphemistically say the roe. Actually it is the Gonads.
The canker-causing fungi causes girdling of the plant, killing the plant above the
canker. Many trees are affected by this disease (apple, ash, aspen, birch,
cottonwood, elm, maple, peach, spruce, willow).
The Arnold Dumbbell Press begins with the dumbbells held in the ending position of the standard dumbbell curl, weights at shoulder level with the palms facing the person. The dumbbells are then pressed upwards while pronating the hands. The ending position is with the dumbbells above the head and back of the hands facing the person. The dumbbells are lowered reversing the process.
9. What two peoples independently created the concept of zero as a number and not as a placeholder?
The Indian Hindus and the Mayans – elzorrogris (1) + jdubct (1) = a winner!
10. What person introduced the zero as a number into the West around 1200 AD?
Fibonacci introduced the Hindu - Arabic number system into Europe.
11. What word has its roots in the Arabic word “sifr?”
Cipher -- Rocky Rococo
Lake Como, Maggiore, Lugano, Garda or Orta are all acceptable to me -- phil
13. What did the Libyan rebels buy on the Internet to aid with their military efforts?
The Aeryon Scout, a three-pound silent electric four bladed helicopter which carries both stable day-time and night-time cameras. It fits in a small suitcase. The rebels scouted the Libyan soldiers’ positions to attack and to avoid them. -- Rocky Rococo
14. Why is it ironic that the play “Waiting for Godot” was voted the most significant English language play of the 20th century?
“Waiting for Godot” was translated from the original French version -- caravaggio
15. Who wrote “Waiting for Godot?”
Samuel Beckett -- elzorrogris
16. The legal term “abjure” means what?
To publicly renounce -- elzorrogris
Eubrontes Giganteus -- fossilized dinosaur footprints – phil (close enough)
Beside the long tidal river – caravaggio (close), icebear (spot on)
19. The reign of King James VI of Scotland is known as the Jacobean Era of English literature. Why?
Jacob is the original form of the English name, James -- caravaggio
The Power of Sympathy
21. What is unique about Jan van Eyck’s painting, “Giovanni Arnolfini and His Bride?”
In the mirror in the background is the reflection of two other people. One is presumed to be Jan van Eyck, since the words above the mirror are “Jan van Eyck was there.” Now we know his nickname, Kilroy!
22. On 24 August what astronomical event was discovered within “hours” of its occurrence?
Supernova; Per the news report:“Astronomers believe they caught the supernova within hours of its explosion,” Perhaps hours plus 21 light years is meant.
23. Excluding all other Nobel laureates who had a higher IQ than Nobel laureate Dr. Richard Feynman?
His sister, Joan by one IQ point -- phil (technically correct)
24. What is Muddy Waters birth name?
McKinley Morganfield -- Rocky Rococo
25. Chester Arthur Burnett was a great American blues artist. What is his stage name?
Howlin’ Wolf -- jdubct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger