Wade Boggs Number Retirement Night... | The Boneyard

Wade Boggs Number Retirement Night...

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
A hum drum Thursday night in May against the Rockies. I would have thought this 5-time batting champ would have been worthy of a weekend event.

Reaction Score
I think they schedule these for nights where they are less likely to sell out. Hence a weeknight against a ho-hum Rockies team.

Reaction Score
A hum drum Thursday night in May against the Rockies. I would have thought this 5-time batting champ would have been worthy of a weekend event.

It's Papi's year Dove they don't give a crap about Wade Boggs.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I think they schedule these for nights where they are less likely to sell out. Hence a weeknight against a ho-hum Rockies team.
Then why not just do a Jack Brohamer bobblehead night?

It's Papi's year Dove they don't give a crap about Wade Boggs.

Sure looks like it. Wade deserves a weekend.

Reaction Score
The guy was a great hitter but brought a lot of off the field baggage to the team. hell he tried to sell his Hall of fame hat to Tampa bay. He's a whack job. Throw in the fact he won a WS ring in NY and was still wearing it last night.
honestly a lot of sox fans are fine with moving on from him. I think the team just wants to retire at least one number a year a la the Yankees for marketingg reasons or whatever.
Personally if they were going to retire a number this year I would have preferred Dwight Evans one of the best right fielders ever and a guy who has worked with the team every year in spring training and beyond and never embarrassed the organization like Boggs did.

Reaction Score
Both Pedro and Rice had their numbers retired on a week night. So no dis to Boggs. More likely they want a week night sellout.

Reaction Score
The guy was a great hitter but brought a lot of off the field baggage to the team. hell he tried to sell his Hall of fame hat to Tampa bay. He's a whack job. Throw in the fact he won a WS ring in NY and was still wearing it last night.

That's great.

534343532.jpg

Reaction Score
Yeah, like I said most Sox fans don't really care much about his number...there's a disconnect there between him and the fans as the picture above shows.
By the way I don't know who else got the hell out of town between the 86 Sox team's night on Wednesday and Boggs night on Thursday, but I know that Dewey, Buckner and Barrett left town. That' 1/3 of the lineup. Could be telling of what some teammates thought of the guy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, like I said most Sox fans don't really care much about his number...there's a disconnect there between him and the fans as the picture above shows.

Well the Sox did dump him after he had one bad season in his career, so it's not like they showed him any loyalty.

Reaction Score
The Yankees gave a 35 year old a 3 year deal even though he was coming off his worst season, was not adjusting to his contact lenses and had a bad back.

If he wasn't an ass off the field maybe the Sox would have shown him some loyalty but honestly I can't blame the Sox organization with their decision making at the time.

Reaction Score
The Yankees gave a 35 year old a 3 year deal even though he was coming off his worst season, was not adjusting to his contact lenses and had a bad back.

If he wasn't an ass off the field maybe the Sox would have shown him some loyalty but honestly I can't blame the Sox organization with their decision making at the time.

What did he do, I honestly don't know? I mean besides being the greatest beer drinker of all time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom