Vote to disband the Big East | The Boneyard

Vote to disband the Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn, Rutgers, WVU, and Louisville should vote to break up the Big East asap. The hoops schools can keep the name and move on to add whomever. This allows us to become free agents, and frees up conferences from looking like they are killing the Big East. The ACC and Big 10 would both love to force ND to join something, anything. If the Big 10 were to invite UConn and Rutgers they would still have room for ND and someone else. The ACC has already made it clear they will take UConn if ND joins. Without the Big East to fall back on ND has to join something or they will end up with the hoops onlies which is not what they want. ND needs to have a reason to join a conference and this gives them something to tell the alumni. Either way it puts an end to having ND in the drivers seat and leaving UConn et al in purgatory or worse, stuck in a conference with ECU, UCF, USF, , CK, ME.
This also frees up WVU and Louisville to join the Big 12.

Reaction Score
We should also cut off our nose to spite our face.

I wish we had a merged thread of all the absolutely ridiculous statements as to what UConn should do from here. This one is definitely top three.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If breaking off from the Georgetowns and Villanovas would improve the football league, or if it would have forced Notre Dame to join the football schools, it would have been done years ago. Notre Dame has its own set of rules and we just don't have the juice to force them to do anything. Nor does the ACC or the B1G or anybody else. I think they'd be perfeclty happy being independent in football and parking their olympic sports with the catholic schools.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Yes, lets give away our BCS bid for no reason. (Probably the only real power we as a league have in this crazy mess.)

Reaction Score
UConn, Rutgers, WVU, and Louisville should vote to break up the Big East asap. The hoops schools can keep the name and move on to add whomever. This allows us to become free agents, and frees up conferences from looking like they are killing the Big East. The ACC and Big 10 would both love to force ND to join something, anything. If the Big 10 were to invite UConn and Rutgers they would still have room for ND and someone else. The ACC has already made it clear they will take UConn if ND joins. Without the Big East to fall back on ND has to join something or they will end up with the hoops onlies which is not what they want. ND needs to have a reason to join a conference and this gives them something to tell the alumni. Either way it puts an end to having ND in the

drivers seat and leaving UConn et al in purgatory or worse, stuck in a conference with ECU, UCF, USF, , CK, ME.
This also frees up WVU and Louisville to join the Big 12.

LMFAO. Yes. The ACC hasn't invited us yet because they don't want to kill the Big East.

Reaction Score
They / we need to force ND's hand but the Presidents do not want the bad PR of killing the Big East. It couldn't force ND's hand years ago because ND wasn't ready to stop being independent. The admin is now because they understand the new reality but they need to get buy in from the alumni. We are not going to have a BCS bid in a conf with ECU, UCF, etc.

Reaction Score
Where exactly have you seen it written on ACC stationary that they would grab UConn if the Leprechauns sign on the dotted line?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Where's the ballot.:)

Reaction Score
Maybe agree to disband the football conference in 27 months when Pitt and SU leave. We would still stay in the Basketball conference.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Let me get this right, you want to disband the Big East and lose its BCS bid in order to possibly force ND to make a choice so that UConn can hopefully end up in a conference with a BCS bid. Is that about it?

Reaction Score
Did you notify ND that they are ready to stop being independent, I'm not sure they got the memo.

Reaction Score
Did you notify ND that they are ready to stop being independent, I'm not sure they got the memo.
I did and the reaction was not good...

images

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
We already are free agents at this point, and breaking up the BE destroys our plan B. No thanks. As much as I hate the thought of playing in a crappy watered down Big East, we may have no other option.

Reaction Score
We will have options. Right now, Big 10 and ACC will stay on hold waiting for ND from here to eternity and we will be stuck with a crappy conference. If we take action along with Louisville, WVU, RU we will all end up somewhere much better. If we do not take action we will end up with ECU, UCF, USF, etc. Does anyone want that conference?

Reaction Score
Do you want to get left behind? Need to stand up and take action. Don't you think athletic excellence, tradition with other schools, national brand, academic success, northeast proximity, and strong leadership at UConn are worth more than a non-BCS league made up of ECU, UCF, etc? What is your solution?

Reaction Score
Do you want to get left behind? Need to stand up and take action. Don't you think athletic excellence, tradition with other schools, national brand, academic success, northeast proximity, and strong leadership at UConn are worth more than a non-BCS league made up of ECU, UCF, etc? What is your solution?

When did we add ECU and UCF?

Reaction Score
You have a lot of great questions but no answers. Who do you think we are going to add? Fine, is UConn, RU, USF, Louisville, Cincy, WVU a BCS conference?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Unless you have the gun that can be held to the Big Ten and ACC's heads to accept us, there isn't much room for flexibility. Action for action's sake doesn't mean it's the right decision. Proposing to break up the BE is worse than your feared outcome of staying.

Reaction Score
Yes. UConn, RU, US, Ville, Cincy, WVU, and TCU is a BCS conference.

Why would we be a BCS conference without the basketball schools, but not a BCS conference with them? What could you possibly base that opinion on?

Your suggestions about ND are figments of your imagination, as is your insistence that we have to disband, or we're stuck with ECU/UCF, as is your declaration that the ACC announced UConn was in if ND joined.

Check my post history, you'll find my suggested options. I'm not going to take the time to make the argument again for someone who is out of touch with reality.

Reaction Score
When did I say we would we be a BCS conference without the basketball schools, but not a BCS conference with them? Not even sure what the basketball schools have to do with BCS. Nice chatting with you. I'll be spending the next 4 hours checking your post history so I can understand what your suggested options are. I'm sure the brilliance will be apparent since you've added so much to this conversation.

Reaction Score
When did I say we would we be a BCS conference without the basketball schools, but not a BCS conference with them? Not even sure what the basketball schools have to do with BCS. Nice chatting with you. I'll be spending the next 4 hours checking your post history so I can understand what your suggested options are. I'm sure the brilliance will be apparent since you've added so much to this conversation.

Here it is so you don't have to look too hard.

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/we-...eams-and-20-basketball-teams.2229/#post-25810

It may not be brilliance, but it hasn't been roundly (and rightly) ridiculed like your suggestion has.

Reaction Score
Add Boise St? A school that is 2,500 miles from CT and just got dinged for violations in 5 sports and has zero academic reputation. That is brilliant. If it wasn't roundly (and rightly) ridiculed it should have been. All I am saying use some strategic thinking. The ACC did not take Pitt and Cuse just to grab the CNY and Western PA media market. There is more behind that decision which probably includes adding ND (if at all possible) and locking up the entire east coast with the absolute best basketball programs in they country, start having hoops tourney in NYC to grow the market (you don't think UConn might help here?), etc.

Reaction Score
Add Boise St? A school that is 2,500 miles from CT and just got dinged for violations in 5 sports and has zero academic reputation. That is brilliant. If it wasn't roundly (and rightly) ridiculed it should have been. All I am saying use some strategic thinking. The ACC did not take Pitt and Cuse just to grab the CNY and Western PA media market. There is more behind that decision which probably includes adding ND (if at all possible) and locking up the entire east coast with the absolute best basketball programs in they country, start having hoops tourney in NYC to grow the market (you don't think UConn might help here?), etc.

You cherry picked the backup plan, and ironically, ignored the part that agrees with your stance against ECU/UCF. Pure genius. :rolleyes:

BSU, for football only, should be the backup plan if it means we retain BCS status which is priority #1.

Read the rest, it involves us working toward what you seem to want. It involves a hell of a lot more strategic thinking than voting to disband the big east...which is in a dead heat with "go independent" for the dumbest of the dumb ideas.

Reaction Score
You cherry picked the backup plan, and ironically, ignored the part that agrees with your stance against ECU/UCF. Pure genius. :rolleyes:

BSU, for football only, should be the backup plan if it means we retain BCS status which is priority #1.

Read the rest, it involves us working toward what you seem to want. It involves a hell of a lot more strategic thinking than voting to disband the big east...which is in a dead heat with "go independent" for the dumbest of the dumb ideas.

Well on the women's board someone suggested we grab Ohio State.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom