Volunteers Needed for American Men's Basketball Tournament | The Boneyard

Volunteers Needed for American Men's Basketball Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Just got this via e-mail, as I'm sure many others did:

https://2015aacmensbball.my-trs.com/

Welcome to the 2015 American Athletic Conference Men's Basketball Championship!

Global Spectrum is excited to host the 2015 American Athletic Conference Men's Basketball Championship at the XL Center in Hartford, CT from Thursday, March 12th through Sunday, March 15th.

We encourage local residents to volunteer throughout the 4 days in various roles to help support the tournament and make it fun, memorable, and successful for those in attendance.

We hope you will be a part of this great event!

What You Will Get!
  • Polo
  • Free Parking Pass
  • Credentials for Venue Access
Important Volunteer Information You Need to Know:

Requirements:
  • All volunteers are encouraged to register for a minimum of 1 shift to a maximum of 3 shifts.
  • Please DO NOT take two shifts on the same day.
  • Each volunteer shift varies from 2 to 5 and a half hours long.
  • ALL volunteers must be at least 18 years or older.
Availability:Starting March 12th and ending March 15th, numerous positions and time slots will be available for volunteers to register for. The following volunteer positions will need to be filled: Check-ins, Liaisons, Attendants, Guest Services, Fan Fest, etc.

Reaction Score
I got the same email. Does "Credentials for Venue Access" mean free admission to the tournament? Because that might be worth 4 hours of work.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I got the same email. Does "Credentials for Venue Access" mean free admission to the tournament? Because that might be worth 4 hours of work.
That would be my understanding.

Reaction Score
I sent an email to Global Spectrum. I got this answer:

"Thank you for your interest in volunteering during the tournament. The credentials will give you venue access just for the day you work."

Reaction Score
you wont be able to see the game. You will probably have to be working during game and in positions without visability to the game.

Reaction Score
you wont be able to see the game. You will probably have to be working during game and in positions without visability to the game.
You get to pick your shift time so you could plan it. Though with only a 1 day free pass it's not worth it in my opinion.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Basically, you would be donating your time in exchange for a tee-shirt.

It's nice that they do not plan to charge you for parking or to get into the building as you donate your time to their for-profit venture, but they're not giving you a ticket to watch the games either.

Arrive, work, leave = tee shirt

Curiouser
Reaction Score

It's nice that they do not plan to charge you for parking or to get into the building as you donate your time to their for-profit venture, but they're not giving you a ticket to watch the games either.

Oh don't sell the AAC short my friend. It's a polo, not a tee-shirt. We have standards to uphold in this conference!

Seriously, I do think you get to watch whatever games are played on the day you work, other than during your shift. I wouldn't do it even for a full tournament pass because, well, I have a job already. But I definitely don't think it's worth for only a one-day (minus your shift) pass.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

It is amazing that they have the balls... God bless anyone crazy enough to volunteer.

Reaction Score
Orientation required too

Orientation:All volunteers are asked to attend a MANDATORY volunteer orientation at the XL Center on Thursday March 5th at 6:30pm. At the orientation volunteers will receive their official T-shirt, parking passes, tournament information, and job instructions.Parking will not be provided for orientation.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Orientation required too

Orientation:All volunteers are asked to attend a MANDATORY volunteer orientation at the XL Center on Thursday March 5th at 6:30pm. At the orientation volunteers will receive their official T-shirt, parking passes, tournament information, and job instructions.Parking will not be provided for orientation.

Honestly this reads like when the cops tell wanted felons they won a prize and they show up to be arrested.

This must be some sort of sweep to improve the gene pool around here. Anyone who shows up for orientation is deported to Florida immediately.

Reaction Score
Honestly this reads like when the cops tell wanted felons they won a prize and they show up to be arrested.

This must be some sort of sweep to improve the gene pool around here. Anyone who shows up for orientation is deported to Florida immediately.

I see lines of down-on-their-luck guys coming into the XL to get out of the cold and grab a free shirt.

Reaction Score
The following volunteer positions will need to be filled: Check-ins, Liaisons, Attendants, Guest Services, Fan Fest, etc.

For some reason only UConn has checked in, all our volunteers haven't seen any other teams. I guess UConn wins by default.

Reaction Score

Boatgiveaway.jpg

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You can just picture the exec at Global who saw the volunteers at the Travelers and thought he stumbled on gold.

All he has to do is now convince major corporations to give people time off to volunteer and convince people that the AAC tournament is going to leave a few hundy thousand behind for charity and he's got a winner.

Reaction Score
Orientation required too

Orientation for free labor and you get to pay for your own parking. This is an amazing deal, I'm tempted to fly back to CT. for this amazing offer.

Reaction Score
Considering the caliber of teams in the AAC and the prices to go to the tournament they should give out full strips of tickets to volunteers just to fill seats

Reaction Score
Orientation required too

Can I just show up for orientation, pick up a parking pass and leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom