Voepel: This year's draft class full of questions | The Boneyard

Voepel: This year's draft class full of questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"Hayes, Prahalis and Peters are all examples of the questions pro teams are facing. Hayes has the "inconsistent" tag … but also the UConn pedigree. It has been a proven commodity in several Huskies in the WNBA, both stars and reserves. Whatever Hayes' flaws, if she falls very far in this draft's first round, that's just dumb."

LINK

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Seattle gave up Swin for the #2 pick. Mechelle's comments:

"Tennessee's 6-2 Shekinna Stricklen physically has all the tools, but does she have Cash's ferocious drive to win? Cash won two NCAA titles in college, and her "winner" status has followed her through pro/international ball."

That "winner" status that includes 3 WNBA titles, Olympic gold, and a World Championship helped to get Swin on another Olympic team. In my view, Swin's drive is what separated her from the other talented players who did not make the team. She'll pass it on to her younger teammates, some of whom already have a lot of it, such as Maya and Angel.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
What a great article by Voepel. Lots of info, great quotes from some knowledgable folks, and some nice analysis.

But I am still mystified by some of the decisions these WNBA GM's and coaches make.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Seattle could end up the biggest loser in the draft. Giving up a proven winner and Olympian in Cash for what - Glory Johnson? Shenise Johnson? Shekinna Stricklen? none of them have the complete package like Swin does. Glory lacks any sort of mid range game. Shekinna doesn't have Swin's athleticism or post moves. and Johnson is more a guard/wing. the article said Seattle may have been banking on EDD, Brit or Skylar coming out early. too bad for them. shoulda waited 1 more year...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I would suspect it was the salary cap that forced the issue.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Almost certainly a factor. They rolled the dice hoping for Nneka or Elena. An even-up trade for Swin at 40-50% of Swin's salary and buying 10 years of youth may have been worth the risk. But they lost.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It may be even more critical than that they may simply not have had enough money to pay Swin under the cap.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

Not so much the cap, but rolling the dice on a player declaring early.

Lauren Jackson is likely to miss most of the season with the Opals. This is a chance for Seattle to rebuild. Trade Cash and Willingham, get a high draft pick and a young player to put next to Lauren in the frontcourt or to providing scoring on the wing. The signing of Wauters will help the frontcourt, but it is conceivable Seattle could be in the lottery next year, where the team gets a really good player. And then Lauren is back.

It is a strategic move to build for the future while only having one bad year, instead of having players leave/retire and have several bad years in a row.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
On a side note, I hope they leave Glory Johnson for the Lynx's #3 pick. I think Reeves is a pretty good coach, and with players like Taj and Brunson to learn from, Glory would be in a great spot where she doesn't have to do too much too soon. I understand she is not a refined offensive player in the mid-range a la Nneka but she has a lot of outstanding qualities including the intangibles.

Another side note: the Sparks are going to be very tough this year :eek:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
It may be even more critical than that they may simply not have had enough money to pay Swin under the cap.

ICE you're not allowed to post here, this is a WNBA-related thread..... :D

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
ICE you're not allowed to post here, this is a WNBA-related thread..... :D
Well, you can see how ignorant I am about all things WNBA. I could imagine a team letting Swin go unless absolutely forced to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom