Voepel: Husky Legends on Paige's "Ridiculous" Freshman Season | The Boneyard

Voepel: Husky Legends on Paige's "Ridiculous" Freshman Season

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nice piece by Mechelle, including a few quotes and some interesting per-40 stats from past Husky freshman seasons.

Fun article. Nice to see the UConn greats following UConn although a few Diana quotes would have been cool. Especially discussing some of the 'edgy' character traits they seem to share.

Reaction Score
Nice piece by Mechelle, including a few quotes and some interesting per-40 stats from past Husky freshman seasons.

Not a fan of per 40 stats for a few reasons. There’s diminishing returns the more you play - conserving energy on some possessions, fatigue, etc.

But also minutes aren’t always the same. This year, Paige played 36-38 minutes a night despite the typical lopsided scores, more to build her experience and her game conditioning in a covid-shortened season. In most of those fourth quarters (and sometimes second halves) that were extended garbage time, she was typically in game management mode with huge leads and running sets with different lineups, only shooting when necessary at the end of the shot clock. Those comparatively unproductive minutes drive her “per 40” numbers down.

In more normal seasons where we weren’t trying to cram a 30-game regular season into 20 games, she would been pulled sooner in a bunch of games, and maybe would have stayed in attack mode longer knowing that she was only going to play 32 minutes instead of 38.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Ok, so where are all those naysayers about Mechelle Voepel and the narrative that her and ESPN have it out for UConn? While I don't always agree with Mechelle's perspective, I never see an agenda in her writing and she's all about promoting the sport. Really, my main quibble is where's the "i" in her name as in Michelle....

Great article and someone who did her homework to right an intelligent piece to include Stewie, Bird and Taurasi, I just wish Maya could have been quoted.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Ok, so where are all those naysayers about Mechelle Voepel and the narrative that her and ESPN have it out for UConn? While I don't always agree with Mechelle's perspective, I never see an agenda in her writing and she's all about promoting the sport. Really, my main quibble is where's the "i" in her name as in Michelle....

Great article and someone who did her homework to right an intelligent piece to include Stewie, Bird and Taurasi, I just wish Maya could have been quoted.
Ever heard of the long con? She and Charlie Creme are just trying to lull us all into a false sense of security before they screw us into oblivion and pilfer our 401(k)s and IRAs in the process. /s

On a serious note, she's a decent sentence-crafter and does her best when focusing on the human interest side of the game. When it comes to in-game stuff she's completely lost. Interviewing former UConn greats for their general takes on Paige is kinda down her wheelhouse.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ok, so where are all those naysayers about Mechelle Voepel and the narrative that her and ESPN have it out for UConn?
George Clooney Film GIF by NETFLIX

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

That was fun. Stewie is still the coolest of the bunch. Just take the NC one at a time.

Not to be critical but they are always showing Paige's jump shots. My favorite plays are her back door cuts. Not hard to find. Just go to the SC game when Zia Cooke is defending. ;);)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the biggest surprise for me is her accuracy with her jump shots. I expected the assists, and leadership, and I expected her to score points - but to be over 50% from the field as a jump shooter and to flirt with 50% from 3 - nope. That is what has surprised me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom