Voepel Checks Out The Big Ten ...sort of | The Boneyard

Voepel Checks Out The Big Ten ...sort of

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Ohio State aiming for Final Four in own backyard

Well, it's something.

Just to sort of contextualize our good fortune: Ohio State has not been to the Final Four in 25 years.

I remember it very well. It was Katie Smith's freshman year and she was already an amazing player. Problem for Ohio State was that it was Sheryl Swoopes's senior year, and she poured in an ungodly number of points to carry Tech to the win.

Neither team has been to a Final Four since. At least Ohio State is now in the conversation. Texas Tech is just struggling not to be a bottom-feeder in the Big 12.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I just don’t know. I think on paper tOSU has some good players but they have had good players. They are basically a one woman show. IF, and it’s a big if, Mitchell can average about 17-18ppg and increase her assists to 7-8 per game I think it helps. They will also need to play defense and I’m just not sure with their low rotation they can play hard nose defense. If that’s the case then they revert back to trying to outscore opponents with Mitchell taking 20-30 shots per night.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I've OSU losing in the round of 16 to whomever in an offensive slugfest.
Me too! If OSU had deeper runs into the tourney, Kelsey Mitchell would have enough games to pass Kelsey Plum's career scoring mark.

Reaction Score
I've OSU losing in the round of 16 to whomever in an offensive slugfest.

I'll be genuinely surprised if either Ohio or Maryland get an invite despite their somewhat less than grueling schedules. Looks like both Mitchell and Muvunga slimmed down and are rearing to go but it's just the two of them and no bench.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I remember it very well. It was Katie Smith's freshman year and she was already an amazing player. Problem for Ohio State was that it was Sheryl Swoopes's senior year, and she poured in an ungodly number of points to carry Tech to the win.

Neither team has been to a Final Four since. At least Ohio State is now in the conversation. Texas Tech is just struggling not to be a bottom-feeder in the Big 12.

OSU has had some really good players come through their program...it's pretty surprising they haven't gone back considering how much talent they've had. In the mid 2000s, they had Jessica Davenport and a good supporting cast of Hoskins/Matter/Packer but lost 3 straight years to a lower seeded team. They were a #1 seed in 06 but lost in round 2 to BC, and they lost to a 13 seed a year later. Then the next wave of talent was led by Jantel Lavendar who played 3 years with Prahalis but they never got close. They also had a team with those two as upperclassmen and Taylor Hill as a freshman and went just 24-10.

Texas Tech was good for a while but I guess they never got over the hump. They had some good squads in the late 90s (#1 seed in 98) and in 2001 with Pierson/Perkins, but they lost a 2 point game to Purdue in the Sweet 16. Purdue went on to make the title game. Tech had both Pierson/Perkins back and Erin Grant in 2003, but lost a close game in the Elite 8 to Duke. They had a couple of solid years after but then it has been downhill ever since.

Other somewhat eye opening Final Four droughts include:
9 years for Tennessee after Pat had made 11 of the previous 14
18 years for Georgia after making 3 of the previous 5
9 years for LSU after making 5 straight appearances
11 years for Duke after making 4 of the previous 8
10 years for North Carolina after making back to back appearances
5 years for Baylor despite being a consistent top 5 team most seasons and having players like Griner, Sims, and Nina Davis
14 years for Texas and just one appearance in the last 30 years

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
OSU has had some really good players come through their program...it's pretty surprising they haven't gone back considering how much talent they've had. In the mid 2000s, they had Jessica Davenport and a good supporting cast of Hoskins/Matter/Packer but lost 3 straight years to a lower seeded team. They were a #1 seed in 06 but lost in round 2 to BC, and they lost to a 13 seed a year later. Then the next wave of talent was led by Jantel Lavendar who played 3 years with Prahalis but they never got close. They also had a team with those two as upperclassmen and Taylor Hill as a freshman and went just 24-10.

Texas Tech was good for a while but I guess they never got over the hump. They had some good squads in the late 90s (#1 seed in 98) and in 2001 with Pierson/Perkins, but they lost a 2 point game to Purdue in the Sweet 16. Purdue went on to make the title game. Tech had both Pierson/Perkins back and Erin Grant in 2003, but lost a close game in the Elite 8 to Duke. They had a couple of solid years after but then it has been downhill ever since.

Other somewhat eye opening Final Four droughts include:
9 years for Tennessee after Pat had made 11 of the previous 14
18 years for Georgia after making 3 of the previous 5
9 years for LSU after making 5 straight appearances
11 years for Duke after making 4 of the previous 8
10 years for North Carolina after making back to back appearances
5 years for Baylor despite being a consistent top 5 team most seasons and having players like Griner, Sims, and Nina Davis
14 years for Texas and just one appearance in the last 30 years
Man, thanks for the trip through memory lane. You have named two of my all-time favorite point guards, Sam Prahalis of Ohio State and Erin Grant of Texas Tech. Two very dynamic, exciting-to-watch, pass-oriented point guards.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom