Vital/Larrier/Anderson | The Boneyard

Vital/Larrier/Anderson

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Over the past two games, those three players have played 183 minutes between them.

Despite having enough touches to hoist up about 50 shots, they managed to combin for just three assists.

That is ball-stopping as an art form.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I thought vital was a better and more willing passer last year.

He needs to get back to that.

Both he and Jalen think they’re stars When frankly neither of them are.

C

Chief00

Over the past two games, those three players have played 183 minutes between them.

Despite having enough touches to hoist up about 50 shots, they managed to combin for just three assists.

Confirmed we don’t move the ball. How are we ever going to recruit a decent American Big when they never touch the ball.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

I have attempted to try and respond to that but can't, enough said.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think anderson and vital move the ball okay, but they're not.good enough passers to find a cutter or feed carlton accurately.

I would call larrier a ball stopper. Anderson as well. Vital is just limited IQ-wise in my mine. Doesnt have a feel for the flow of the game, which leads to bad shots, and passes which dont always work to score with

Vital is one of the great chuckers in UCONN history. That is the very definition of a ball stopper. Guy has yet to meet a shot inside half court that he doesn't like.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I thought vital was a better and more willing passer last year.

He needs to get back to that.

Both he and Jalen think they’re stars When frankly neither of them are.

Jalen is most definitely a star, or as close as we have to it. He's got no choice to do what he does, as no one else on the team can generate any offense whatsoever. And the coach doesn't seem willing to address that problem.

If he had a better cast, in a better system, he'd be a totally different player.

Reaction Score
Vital is one of the great chuckers in UCONN history. That is the very definition of a ball stopper. Guy has yet to meet a shot inside half court that he doesn't like.

When I think ball stopper I think a player who gets the ball and holds, dribbles, isos. Ie. Carmelo

Chucker isnt equal to ball stopper in my vernacular, but they're not mutually exclusive either

intlzncster

Reaction Score
When I think ball stopper I think a player who gets the ball and holds, dribbles, isos. Ie. Carmelo

Chucker isnt equal to ball stopper in my vernacular, but they're not mutually exclusive either

I just look at it as where the ball stops moving. If a guy jacks up a shot every time he has it, he's stopping the ball movement.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Adams isn't a true PG? So those 4 assists per game to his "sub par" teammates don't count? Leading the conference in assists last year means nothing to anyone? Give Adams competent teammates, and he'd be near the top for the entire NCAA in assists.

Reaction Score
I just look at it as where the ball stops moving. If a guy jacks up a shot every time he has it, he's stopping the ball movement.

Interesting view. Literally debating semantics at this point. We both agree the kid takes too many bad 3s.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Confirmed we don’t move the ball. How are we ever going to recruit a decent American Big when they never touch the ball.
Last year we constantly passed into our bigs but they couldn't keep their hands on it. Or maybe the passes were not in the best position to handle. I do miss the alley oop though as we only seem to throw it to Jalen

Reaction Score
We don't move the ball because we have no true pg to run the offense
What offense is there to run exactly? There is no motion, no cutters, few post ups. Inbound plays are long passes into backcourt....there is no offense PG or not.

the Q

Reaction Score
Jalen is most definitely a star, or as close as we have to it. He's got no choice to do what he does, as no one else on the team can generate any offense whatsoever. And the coach doesn't seem willing to address that problem.

If he had a better cast, in a better system, he'd be a totally different player.

But what kind of star?

He’s not Kemba or Gordon or Bazz. Hell hes really not even 14/15 boat.

And he’s definitely not mason or graham like was mentioned in another thread.

Would he be better in a better system with a better cast? Sure.

But right now he’s clearly not there yet. Also you would think a high pick and roll offense would play to his strengths. Obviously the lack of spacing doesn’t help....but still.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
But what kind of star?

09-10 Dyson? Required to do too much, looking bad, and getting tons of flack for it. I still marvel that Boat held it together as much as he did, avoided a Dyson, and went out respected.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If the bigs knew how to make themselves available they would get the ball
JA and CV are usually looking inside but it does no good when the bigs are not in the position to or want to receive a ball
If a big makes themselves a target by working hard to get position they will get the ball
It doesn't help when your bigs aren't that big and are outweighed by 30 lbs, out muscled, underaged by 3 years and inexperienced

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
But what kind of star?

And he’s definitely not mason or graham like was mentioned in another thread.

Would he be better in a better system with a better cast? Sure.

But right now he’s clearly not there yet. Also you would think a high pick and roll offense would play to his strengths. Obviously the lack of spacing doesn’t help....but still.

Does JA have the same talent surrounding him as Ben, Kemba or Bazz?
The same as Mason or Graham?
If you don't think that makes a difference.............................

the Q

Reaction Score
09-10 Dyson? Required to do too much, looking bad, and getting tons of flack for it. I still marvel that Boat held it together as much as he did, avoided a Dyson, and went out respected.

I see a lot more of dyson in vital. Dyson was never close to a star imo.

Boat was such a good defender and 3pt shooter he was able to hold it together that way.

the Q

Reaction Score
Does JA have the same talent surrounding him as Ben, Kemba or Bazz?
The same as Mason or Graham?
If you don't think that makes a difference.........

I didn’t say that, but its a big gap.

And even boat his sr year was clearly better.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I see a lot more of dyson in vital. Dyson was never close to a star imo.

Boat was such a good defender and 3pt shooter he was able to hold it together that way.

Agreed. But Dyson was much better than Vital. Most of his dumb shots came on reckless drives into traffic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom