Virginia | The Boneyard

Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The more I look into it the more pissed off I get. Virginia is a one seed. They beat nobody out of Conference. Lost to Wisconsin (tough game). Lose to 12 or so loss Tennessee by 25! Beat our non tournament worthy smu by 3. Lost to Green Bay! That's it. The rest is your genral Cupcakes.

And then they lose one game in the acc. What does that say about how pathetic the acc is??

L ville gets killed by their ooc. Look at Virginia. They lost to Green Bay!! They're 8-5 against the top 50. We're 7-5. And they get a one seed. L ville is a 4. And we're a 7. I mean it's literally insane.

Reaction Score
The more I look into it the more pissed off I get. Virginia is a one seed. They beat nobody out of Conference. Lost to Wisconsin (tough game). Lose to 12 or so loss Tennessee by 25! Beat our non tournament worthy smu by 3. Lost to Green Bay! That's it. The rest is your genral Cupcakes.

And then they lose one game in the acc. What does that say about how pathetic the acc is??

L ville gets killed by their ooc. Look at Virginia. They lost to Green Bay!! They're 8-5 against the top 50. We're 7-5. And they get a one seed. L ville is a 4. And we're a 7. I mean it's literally insane.
but, but, but... they beat Duke a few times... that must be worth about a dozen wins against mortals...

Reaction Score
They're pretty similar to Wichita St, unfortunately I see both of them not advancing anything further than the Sweet 16.

Reaction Score
They're pretty similar to Wichita St, unfortunately I see both of them not advancing anything further than the Sweet 16.
Actually Wichita St was in the FF last year. I kinda like their team, good story line and talented. They may not go all the way, but they did deserve a #1 bid.

I also think that they can shock a lot of people. I wouldn't bet against them and looking forward to watching them.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
but, but, but... they beat Duke a few times... that must be worth about a dozen wins against mortals...
I think that's literally the thought process. Clark Kellogg said something along those lines, as if a win against Duke counted as something more valuable because of who they are. And it's the only possible excuse for including NC State, who beat mighty Syracuse.

Reaction Score
I am still surprised that Duke did not get a #1 Seed instead of UVA because, we'll they are Duke and well, they're Coach K will have this sad, puppy dog look on his face.

Reaction Score
Actually Wichita St was in the FF last year. I kinda like their team, good story line and talented. They may not go all the way, but they did deserve a #1 bid.

I also think that they can shock a lot of people. I wouldn't bet against them and looking forward to watching them.

Being completely honest: I had to look up that Wichita State made the Final Four last year. I refused to watch even a single dribble of any post-season tournament last year, and completely blocked basketball out of my mind. True story.

Reaction Score
"The more I look into it the more pissed off I get......"
Dude, have you watched Virginia played at all this year. You cant pick and choose the stats you like. Theyre big and athletic at every position. For the whole year theyre ranked 6 in the BPI, even with theyre losses. Ken Pom has them at 4 for the whole year and #1 since Jan 1.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
"The more I look into it the more pissed off I get."
Dude, have you watched Virginia played at all this year. You cant pick and choose the stats you like. Theyre big and athletic at every position. For the whole year theyre ranked 6 in the BPI, even with theyre losses. Ken Pom has them at 4 for the whole year and #1 since Jan 1.
Sssshhh. They are the best play in the brackets right now with everybody cozying up to MSU and nobody talking about them.

Reaction Score
"The more I look into it the more pissed off I get."

Pick and choose the stats I like? They're 4-4 vs the top 50. We're 7-5. Nowhere did i say they aren't a good team. They played nobody out of Conference and had two bad ooc losses. Their resume is not worthy of a one seed. Certainly not 6 seeds better than us or 3 better than l ville.

Can you read? Did I say they stink or their resume is suspect for a one seed? I really wonder sometimes what goes on in people's heads

Reaction Score
Virginia deserved a #1 seed as much as Villanova did. That means neither. Villanova blew it on their first round loss. Virginia had questionable losses also. Oh well. At this point of the game its time to win and forget about the rest.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I personally love the fact that if we (and they) advance far enough, the one seed we will need to knock off to continue will be UVA.

We are spending far too much time worrying about seedings. If we were a four or five seed, needing to face Florida or Arizona in the sweet sixteen (again, if we and they were to get that far) would things be better?

Reaction Score
"Did I say they stink or their resume is suspect for a one seed?" Yes you did say their resume is suspect for a one seed in this exact same post when you said "Their resume is not worthy of a one seed"

Quote records all you want or any other single statistic but you need to factor in ALL, ALL, ALL of the statistics and then you get a team ranking which is what KENPOM, The ESPN BPI and Nate Silvers bracket charts do.

For Virginia:
BPI - #6 http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi
KenPom - #4 http://kenpom.com/
Nate Silver - #5 http://fivethirtyeight.com/interactives/march-madness-predictions/

So if you want to get pissed off that Virginia is a 1 and not a two go right ahead but the simple fact is you need a broader base of information beyond records versus the top 50 rpi which is the worst stat there is. You're right Louisville should be a 1 seed and Uconn should be a five but that has nothing to do with Virginia.

Reaction Score
I like the Shockers because the have the best name in college basketball, and because I really like hearing the pretty female analysts and court side reporters say, "I think the Shockers may surprise you."

Reaction Score
just saw them beat Duke Sunday, they were very impressive, especially defense and on the boards. They're biggest problem going forward is they don't play with much margin for error, their fairly slow style of play usually lets other teams hang around, and play most games in the 60's.

Reaction Score
They're biggest problem going forward is they don't play with much margin for error, their fairly slow style of play usually lets other teams hang around, and play most games in the 60's.

Sounds familiar.

Reaction Score
"Did I say they stink or their resume is suspect for a one seed?" Yes you did say their resume is suspect for a one seed in this exact same post when you said "Their resume is not worthy of a one seed"

Quote records all you want or any other single statistic but you need to factor in ALL, ALL, ALL of the statistics and then you get a team ranking which is what KENPOM, The ESPN BPI and Nate Silvers bracket charts do.

For Virginia:
BPI - #6 http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi
KenPom - #4 http://kenpom.com/
Nate Silver - #5 http://fivethirtyeight.com/interactives/march-madness-predictions/

So if you want to get pissed off that Virginia is a 1 and not a two go right ahead but the simple fact is you need a broader base of information beyond records versus the top 50 rpi which is the worst stat there is. You're right Louisville should be a 1 seed and Uconn should be a five but that has nothing to do with Virginia.

Virginia barely playing and not beating anyone out of conference matters. The head of the committee said so himself. It means nothing. But they're resume is very weak and in a blind test barely indistinguishable from ours. You go right ahead and pick them. They may make a run. But just because they beat an overrated duke team doesn't make them great or worthy of a 1 seeed

Reaction Score
just saw them beat Duke Sunday, they were very impressive, especially defense and on the boards. They're biggest problem going forward is they don't play with much margin for error, their fairly slow style of play usually lets other teams hang around, and play most games in the 60's.

Vitale keeps saying that, but what made me notice Virginia this year was the opposite - they blew a lot of people out despite their style. They won 12 ACC regular season games by 10 plus.

pj

Reaction Score
I thought Virginia and Louisville were pick 'ems for the last #1 seed, Virginia is good, but now I want Memphis to knock them off in round two. Good or not, the ACC must go down.

pj

Reaction Score
Vitale keeps saying that, but what made me notice Virginia this year was the opposite - they blew a lot of people out despite their style. They won 12 ACC regular season games by 10 plus.

The success of defensive teams like Virginia, Arizona, Louisville, Cincinnati, SMU, etc, is testimony to the uselessness of the new officiating rules they put in.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love Virginias freshman pg . but he will have his hands full vs an uber athletic Memphis backcourt. Memphis plays up to competition ; I envision goodwin running up and down the court like gazelle pounding his chest .
Wichita state might be really good , but the only reason they did anything last year was because gonzaga was their 1 seed. They will lose to caliparis squad, who will then flame out vs ville.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Yeah Virginia's scoring margin is #11 in the country balanced for pace of play.

"But they're resume is very weak and in a blind test barely indistinguishable from ours"

Wow I think you might be blind. What dont you understand about BPI. Its based on the most complete range of empirical data that there is currently. Out of conference does matter as well as a range of other factors. The head of the committee, if we're listening to him, put Virginia on the one line.

pj

Reaction Score
I love Virginias freshman pg . but he will have his hands full vs an uber athletic Memphis backcourt. Memphis plays up to competition ; I envision goodwin running up and down the court like gazelle pounding his chest .
Wichita state might be really good , but the only reason they did anything last year was because gonzaga was their 1 seed. They will lose to caliparis squad, who will then flame out vs ville.

Yes, Memphis has enough team speed to pose matchup problems for Virginia. Maybe they can pull off the upset like they did against Louisville.

I hope Wichita beats Kentucky, though I do think it's an even match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom