Virginia Pilot: ACC should kick Louisville to the curb | The Boneyard

Virginia Pilot: ACC should kick Louisville to the curb

Reaction Score
I actually think the ACC presidents (a lot of whom are new) would vote UL out if given the opportunity. I just don't see a vote ever coming close to happening.

Reaction Score
Oh I think they'll vote on it. I just don't think the votes will be there.

Reaction Score
Swofford will talk to espn first, then share options and outcomes with the schools. If espn keeps them whole don't be surprised if this happens. Also consider the acc network. If they can add eyeballs with a switch then removing the Ville could be an option. I like our position because of the network. That said football still drives the bus for the acc.

Reaction Score
Oh I think they'll vote on it. I just don't think the votes will be there.
They would never vote unless they have enough votes to vote them out, or if there is unanimous support for Louisville to stay (even if some Presidents really want to vote them out). If they do vote it will be unanimous (for or against kicking them out). The ACC won't want to show division on this. My personal opinion is that there is no vote nor public notification of any discussion to kick Louisville out. Swofford will release a statement about how every school, in an out of the ACC, needs to make changes and that he is satisfied by Louisville's steps to clean house.

Reaction Score
They would never vote unless they have enough votes to vote them out, or if there is unanimous support for Louisville to stay (even if some Presidents really want to vote them out). If they do vote it will be unanimous (for or against kicking them out). The ACC won't want to show division on this. My personal opinion is that there is no vote nor public notification of any discussion to kick Louisville out. Swofford will release a statement about how every school, in an out of the ACC, needs to make changes and that he is satisfied by Louisville's steps to clean house.
It will be interesting to see what his statement is if Jurich ends up keeping his job. That right now seems like a real possibility.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
If they vote Louisville out, what will they do to UNC once that turd hits the fan? No way either of them leave

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If they vote Louisville out, what will they do to UNC once that turd hits the fan? No way either of them leave
That is the issue, isn't it? I think the fact that L'ville was paying recruits while on probation for paying for hookers for recruits and players opens the door. That kind of continuing callous disregard for the rules is a bit different from UNC or Syracuse, or Miami, or FSU who all have the good sense to keep a low profile after they are caught.

Reaction Score
From the article: "Louisville, which has a $160 million, 10-year contract with Adidas..."

Does this mean that every basketball school with a large/huge contract with a shoe company is being paid that much because of "additional factors"?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is what we needed to see. Columnists from ACC country floating this exact proposal. That columnist is probably hearing chatter from boosters and possibly people at some of the ACC schools. This indicates that the thought is in the air. Hopefully we will see some more columns like it.

There is not much point at predicting right this second what the final outcome of a long, messy process will be. We need to take this one step at a time.

1) Louisville does something stupid and sordid to get their program in trouble.
2) Louisville then does something blatantly against NCAA rules that also happens to be illegal while it is appealing probation for #1.
3) Louisville's athletic department and coaches have lied and in general acted like completely jerks for years.
4) Louisville's AD and ex-basketball coach go to war with the school.
5) ACC AD's and Presidents start to ask why they are putting up with this.
6) Columns start to appear in the ACC country reflecting the general consensus of the other schools.

We have gotten this far, which 2 weeks ago would have been beyond the wildest fantasy of any UConn fan. One step at a time.

The NCAA and ACC will need a sacrificial lamb for all the sliminess that is going on, especially if, as expected, UNC skates with a slap on the wrist. Someone will have to pay for all these sins, and putting East Tennessee State on probation won't cut it. It has got to be someone big, and they need to get punished big. I don't know how big, but it will be big.

Reaction Score
That is the issue, isn't it? I think the fact that L'ville was paying recruits while on probation for paying for hookers for recruits and players opens the door. That kind of continuing callous disregard for the rules is a bit different from UNC or Syracuse, or Miami, or FSU who all have the good sense to keep a low profile after they are caught.
And, David Teel's article from last week in the Daily Press states," This is a mountain of corruption at Louisville that extends from the president's office, to the university foundation, to the athletic department." Teel then lays out the case for the ACC to heavily sanction or kick out Louisville.

The fact that corruption took place at the president level, the university foundation level, as well as the athletic department to me is something the NCAA and the ACC can't ignore.

Regarding UNC Teel wrote, "But the Tar Heels are a charter member with a long history of operating with integrity. Moreover, there was no hint of presidential scandal at UNC. Not so Louisville." So being a charter member of the ACC matters and the scandal reaching the presidential and university foundation level matters.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UNC's situation is pretty bad, and the ACC and the NCAA need a scapegoat. Someone big enough to matter, but not part of the establishment.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Plus, I remember seeing posts from last week or the week before that the ACC will be looking for NYC content for their fledging ACC Network which will go live in 2019. UCONN can bring some very lucrative content to the ACC. And it just so happens that we rock academically and we are clean (well at least I hope we're clean). UCONN can help the ACC shore up their tarnished image and reputation whether or not they boot Louisville.

Reaction Score
The columnists that you see from ACC country are the guys from the states that supported UConn to begin with...the old basketball guard.

There are still two ACCs....the basketball first group and the football first group....

And, they are still jockeying around each other.

The difference now, is that with the GOR in place, there is less leverage for the well known football programs and it comes down to the votes that each group can put together in a coalition.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The columnists that you see from ACC country are the guys from the states that supported UConn to begin with...the old basketball guard.

There are still two ACCs....the basketball first group and the football first group....

The difference now, is that with the GOR in place, there is less leverage for the well known football programs and it comes down to the votes that each group can put together in a coalition.

I knew we'd have you chiming in on this eventually. Glad you acknowledged what I was thinking. The GOR makes the FSU/Clemson/VT/Miami flight risk a non factor. Some prior pro Louisville votes were probably pro-UConn votes that were worried about losing one or more of those schools.

On the other hand, FSU football picked a bad time for a bad season in my view, as it may make the ACC more nervous about losing UL. Miami and VT looking strong might mitigate that however.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I knew we'd have you chiming in on this eventually. Glad you acknowledged what I was thinking. The GOR makes the FSU/Clemson/VT/Miami flight risk a non factor. Some prior pro Louisville votes were probably pro-UConn votes that were worried about losing one or more of those schools.

On the other hand, FSU football picked a bad time for a bad season in my view, as it may make the ACC more nervous about losing UL. Miami and VT looking strong might mitigate that however.

They can't without paying a huge payout and no offense but Louisville is not a selling point to anyone right now.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

You think Clemson, Florida State and Miami are still excited about Louisville being in their league?

Reaction Score
You'd think FSU and Miami would support Louisville just so there's one program dirty than their program in the conference.

Reaction Score
You think Clemson, Florida State and Miami are still excited about Louisville being in their league?

Sure....

Honestly, who from those programs really gives a damn about basketball? As long as Louisville football is ranked.

And Louisville basketball, after a severe sanction...may be on a level with UConn football....

It was the football side that needed shoring up....

Reaction Score
Just as a curiosity, I checked the pay Warchant site...number of messages in each forum...as an indication of fan interest...

Basketball......39,203

Football..........1,012,612

Baseball...........38,222

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Sure....

Honestly, who from those programs really gives a damn about basketball? As long as Louisville football is ranked.

And Louisville basketball, after a severe sanction...may be on a level with UConn football....

It was the football side that needed shoring up....

That isn't what I meant, at all.

I would think that every coach in the country is blocking Pitino's cell phone right now, and Petrino's is not far behind. No one has any idea where this scandal will stop. Maybe football will get sucked in, maybe it won't.

Reaction Score
What we need is more announced chaos and a flight to quality!!

Let the B1G and ACC figure it out.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
What is emerging at Louisvile is that the leadership of the school has systematically made backdoor deals to prop up the AD. We've seen it in men's BB because that is what the FBI investigation has been focused on. How soon will we see the same things happening on the football side? There's a lot of smoke and where there is smoke...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom