Vintage Ben Gordon | The Boneyard

Vintage Ben Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"Ben versus the Celts" really should have been, "Ben destroying Ray Allen," unfortunately.

Reaction Score
He was never more than a volume scorer at the NBA level, but when he was on, he was pretty unstoppable. Definitely one of the most gifted offensive players we've ever produced. I'll always wonder what would have happened if he'd never left Chicago. A shooter like Ben playing next to Rose as he entered his prime would have had a lot of great opportunities, and that 09-10 Bulls team would have had a dynamite 8-man rotation of Noah, Gibson, Miller, Deng, Salmons, Gordon, Rose, and Hinrich.

Reaction Score
Ray Allen had a pretty good game that night, too. 42 for Ben and 30 for Ray.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2009-04-22/sports/0904220057_1_ray-allen-pride-proud-papa

As Ray Allen and Ben Gordon engaged in a shootout for the ages Monday night, countless basketball fans watched, transfixed.

That group included Jim Calhoun.

The esteemed Connecticut coach recruited and coached both players and, were it not for his return from a family wedding, he would have attended Game 2 in person. Instead, he sat on his couch at home -- or at least the edge of it.

"Obviously, I was getting goose bumps," Calhoun said in a phone interview. "I felt like a proud papa."

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I remember that game like it was yesterday ... so incredibly entertaining to watch. Bulls fans were calling him Ben "Jordan" that year ... his future was so bright. Then he left for the black hole in Detroit ...

Reaction Score
This makes me sad with the way his career went.

Agreed.

I was watching highlights of the 2002 Big East tourney, 2002 game vs Arizona (BG was a freshman) and then the 2004 season. Ben Gordon was insanely good. I forgot how good of a passer and creator he was on offense.

Aside from Ray and Kemba (maybe Rip, I think Gordon may have been our best offensive player ever. He was a great shooter, had a great handle, good hops and speed, could create his own shot, and was an underrated passer.

Its not crazy to think that he could have had a Kemba/Shabazz type season had he been the lead guard on those teams. Instead he just happened to be on some stacked teams so the team didn't need him to.

Crazy that BG isnt on the Huskies of Honor.

Reaction Score
tcf15 said:
Ray Allen had a pretty good game that night, too. 42 for Ben and 30 for Ray. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2009-04-22/sports/0904220057_1_ray-allen-pride-proud-papa As Ray Allen and Ben Gordon engaged in a shootout for the ages Monday night, countless basketball fans watched, transfixed. That group included Jim Calhoun. The esteemed Connecticut coach recruited and coached both players and, were it not for his return from a family wedding, he would have attended Game 2 in person. Instead, he sat on his couch at home -- or at least the edge of it. "Obviously, I was getting goose bumps," Calhoun said in a phone interview. "I felt like a proud papa."

Ray also had 51 in game 6 (and a tough GW 3 over Noah in game 2 in what was really a must win). Epic series. Maybe 4 of the 7 went OT.

Reaction Score
Weird, but while college basketball is my favorite sport by far, I really don't like the NBA.

This game however was great to watch...back and forth between Ben and Ray..

Reaction Score
Stumbled across Ben versus the Celts in the playoffs a few years back. It defines in the zone. A fun diversion.

BenG, was one my all-time favorites, The mouunt vernon product, was an olympic-class athlete ( ...calhouns words) with the basketball abilities.... loved it , in san antonio when he had the step back 3 , and of course the BE Tourny vs Pitt game

some of my favorite moments

Reaction Score
Madison Square Gordon was one of my 3-4 favorite Huskies of all-time. Secondary scorer early to Caron then the man as a junior, especially when 'Mek went down. Not a big jersey guy, but only Husky jersey I own is a #4 from 2004. Only time I've ever stepped foot in the state of Connecticut was two games that year (before kids and wife!)

Still remember him torching Alabama and blowing on his hands he was so on fire!!!!

Reaction Score
Ray also had 51 in game 6 (and a tough GW 3 over Noah in game 2 in what was really a must win). Epic series. Maybe 4 of the 7 went OT.

Talk about being in the zone. I remember watching those games, and that one sticks out the most. Ray Ray had 29 at the half and never let up.

Reaction Score
"Ben versus the Celts" really should have been, "Ben destroying Ray Allen," unfortunately.
I remember that game. Ray didn't get destroyed, but the two shot the lights out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom