Villanova's title a bonanza for the Big East | The Boneyard

Villanova's title a bonanza for the Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

by Berry Tramel Published: April 6, 2016

We like to think of conference realignment through the Big 12 prism. From the departure of four schools for points all over America, to David Boren’s assertion that the Big 12 “psychologically disadvantaged,” we think of the Big 12 as the victim in conference realignment.

And maybe it is. But it’s not the only victim. It’s not the biggest victim.

The league that took the most hits in conference realignment was the Big East.

Other leagues might have had more upheaval — Conference USA, for example — but no other league had the upheaval and the loss of prestige like the Big East.

Think of it this way. The Big East not only lost a bunch of prominent schools, the Big East lost a sport. The most important sport, at least across the country.

Think of it this way. The Big East as recently as 2004 consisted of Miami, Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Rutgers and Virginia Tech. All are gone, to Power 5 conferences.

Miami went to the ACC in 2003, Virginia Tech went a year later and BC went a year after that. Pitt and Syracuse joined the ACC in 2013.

West Virginia went to the Big 12 in 2012 and Rutgers joined the Big Ten in 2013. Notre Dame, an independent in football but a Big East member in all other sports, jumped to the ACC with the same arrangement in 2013.

Louisville, which had been added to the Big East in 2005 after the initial departures, joined the ACC in 2013.

So the Big East underwent a makeover. It had started as a basketball-only league in 1979 — Boston College, UConn, Georgetown, Providence, St. John’s, Seton Hall and Syracuse, with Villanova joining a year later and Pitt jumping aboard in 1982.

The Big East went back to its roots. Some of those pioneer schools formed a new conference, but retaining the Big East name.

The Catholic Seven members — Georgetown, Providence, St. John’s, Seton Hall and Villanova, plus DePaul and Marquette, which had been added without football teams in 2005, decided to split from the remaining football schools and return to a Big East tradition of strong basketball and non-Division I-A football.

Cincinnati and South Florida, which had come aboard with Louisville, were left with Connecticut to found the American Conference.

The Catholic Seven reached a settlement with the Big East in which they retained the name, the logos and the iconic conference tournament at Madison Square Garden. The Big East then added two more Catholic schools — Creighton and Xavier — plus Butler to form a 10-team Big East.

And the new Big East’s finest hour came Monday night. Villanova won the NCAA basketball championship.

Georgetown and Villanova had won NCAA titles in the Big East glory days of 1984 and 1985, respectively. Since then, only power-football schools had won hoops titles for the Big East — UConn in 1999, 2004 and 2011, Syracuse in 2003, Louisville in 2013. UConn won the NCAA in 2014 as a member of the American Conference.

You wondered if the non-football Big East could ever regain the prestige it had in the 1980s. But Villanova’s title is a step in that direction.

“I'm really, really happy for the Big East,” said ‘Nova coach Jay Wright. “I'm really proud of them. You know, we got beat this year by Providence. We got beat by Seton Hall. We got beat by Xavier. It's very obvious any one of those teams could be here.

“We're a new entity that college basketball just is trying to figure out, you know. And I just hope the Power 5 (conferences) sees a value in us as a part of all of this in basketball.

“We want to keep up with the Power 5. We want to do everything they're doing, just do it in basketball. I hope this gives us a place at the table because basketball is really important to all these schools. I hope the Power 5 schools can see that we're really important to college basketball.”

Oh, I think the Power 5 can see that. I just don’t know if the Power 5 cares. The Big Ten, SEC, Big 12, Pac-12 and ACC are mostly driven by football. Football and television money, and those two are interchangeable.

The Big East will always be second-class in the NCAA power structure. That’s why the Big East tried to make a go of it in football 25 years ago.

But when winter arrives, and basketball takes the stage, the new Big East stands as tall as any league.

Reaction Score
Also, kudos to Nova for winning, but if not for the Wildcats yet again the rest of the Big East flamed out in the NCAA Tournament.

Not a single other of the 5 teams the conference got in the tournament made it past the first weekend.

Reaction Score
Let's see what happens when a P-5 school comes calling on Wright with a HUGE raise ($1mi-$1.5 mill/yr). No way Nova can match that kind of money to keep him. People can say what they want about loyalty but that kind of $$ is a difference maker...just ask Shaka Smart.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Let's see what happens when a P-5 school comes calling on Wright with a HUGE raise ($1mi-$1.5 mill/yr). No way Nova can match that kind of money to keep him. People can say what they want about loyalty but that kind of $$ is a difference maker...just ask Shaka Smart.

Villanova hoops is a lot more profitable than most P5 basketball programs.

Reaction Score
The only downside to Nova winning is that I'm sure PC fans will feel (and chirp) like they accomplished something.

Reaction Score
Villanova hoops is a lot more profitable than most P5 basketball programs.
Who cares they don't take in P-5 $...no way they can compete with a school like tOSU if they decide that's who they want . Think what you want about your precious BE Nelson they are small time $$ wise compared to P-5 schools.

Reaction Score

VCU =/= Villanova

Reaction Score
Villanova =\=Big $ P-5 school

Wright makes more than the vast majority of P5 coaches at a school in a great market with an impressive basketball pedigree. There's no real reason for him to go anywhere.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Wright makes more than the vast majority of P5 coaches at a school in a great market with an impressive basketball pedigree. There's no real reason for him to go anywhere.

You mean he's not gonna leave Nova for Georgia Tech just because they're P5?

Reaction Score
First, the Big East has Nova and Georgetown. That's about it. Second, it has been hammered home for about 5 years now that basketball doesn't matter. But good for the NBE.

Reaction Score
You mean he's not gonna leave Nova for Georgia Tech just because they're P5?
Hey Matt what about the Ohio State University ...:D...yeah Nova can match or pay more than they can too. ;)
@CallMeBruce just so you know I know a few Niva grads and one of them is a long time booster who knows Wright personally. His EXACT words to me.."Villanova can afford to pay Jay a salary that is competitive with a majority of the P-5 schools but if a Texas or Ohio State comes calling there isn't any way a salary offer can be matched if they decide that's who they want and $ is no object"

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Hey Matt what about the Ohio State University ...:D...yeah Nova can match or pay more than they can too. ;)
@CallMeBruce just so you know I know a few Niva grads and one of them is a long time booster who knows Wright personally. His EXACT words to me.."Villanova can afford to pay Jay a salary that is competitive with a majority of the P-5 schools but if a Texas or Ohio State comes calling there isn't any way a salary offer can be matched if they decide that's who they want and $ is no object"

Well I'm sure there are some schools who would be able to afford him. I was using GT because they have an opening right now. But he's not leaving Nova for them.

Reaction Score
Jay Wright is never leaving 'nova for another school.

They will pay whatever is needed in order to retain Wright.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Certainly Nova can match that money. The question is whether they will want to. Butler was willing to match anything that went to Brad Stephens, and certainly Mark Few would be wanted by more than a few P5 schools and is still at Gonzaga. Does anyone here think that Jay Wright wasn't already somebody who would be desirable to most of the P5? He was better than 90% of the P5 coaches before this championship.

VCU is not Villanova. Their situations aren't really comparable. Nobody leaves Villanova to go to Mississippi State, TCU, or Washington State as a basketball coach. It would need to be a really big job to lure him away. Pitino may be gone, and Roy Williams is getting pretty old. Aside from those jobs, what big time P5 jobs are coming open anytime soon?

Reaction Score
Certainly Nova can match that money. The question is whether they will want to. Butler was willing to match anything that went to Brad Stephens, and certainly Mark Few would be wanted by more than a few P5 schools and is still at Gonzaga. Does anyone here think that Jay Wright wasn't already somebody who would be desirable to most of the P5? He was better than 90% of the P5 coaches before this championship.

VCU is not Villanova. Their situations aren't really comparable. Nobody leaves Villanova to go to Mississippi State, TCU, or Washington State as a basketball coach. It would need to be a really big job to lure him away. Pitino may be gone, and Roy Williams is getting pretty old. Aside from those jobs, what big time P5 jobs are coming open anytime soon?
Look a few posts above for my reasoning on this. You forgot to quote that one.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Look a few posts above for my reasoning on this. You forgot to quote that one.

Ohio State has Thad Matta. They don't want a coach. UT just hired Smart. Alabama has the money...and Wright is certainly an upgrade...do you think that happens? No. Penn State? I really doubt it. Wright is from PA, so it is the best bet I could see, and yet he knows nobody has ever won there. Jay Wright is not likely to take a big payday at a school with no Basketball bona-fides. The schools with both $$ and basketball bona-fides don't need coaches, except, as I mentioned, Louisville and maybe UNC or Duke (K is 69!) in a couple of years.

The big money P5 school has to be willing to spend big money on a basketball coach, and most of them won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom