Villanova | The Boneyard

Villanova

Reaction Score
What should be our game plan going into Saturday? How can we upset them? Depaul was able to keep it close. Any thoughts?

Reaction Score
1. Press
2. Guard the perimeter! Too many guys watching Wichita shoot from 3 without getting in their face.
3. Contain Saddiq Bey

Reaction Score
1)We need to play focused hard D all game with very few lapses, close out on 3 pt shooters hard.
2) Gilbert needs to play with a distribute 1st mentality and stop driving too far before thinking pass.
3) Carlton needs to make 60% of his FG attempts.
4) Need Bouk to be confident and take over and stop deferring to the seniors.
5) 3-4 blocks from Akok.
Bonus - 15-20 pts from the bench

That should do it

Reaction Score
We were shorthanded before Tyler went down and now we are even more shorthanded and less talented.

The only way I see us winning is to play with more energy - rebounds, second chance points, fast breaks and grab all the 50/50 balls. We need to have more possessions. They'll probably want to out-skill us but we'll have to turn this into a rock fight and let the chips fall as they may.

Reaction Score
Career games from Bouknight, Akok and Vitale - solid play from Carlton and Gilbert. Either Wilson or Adams gets hot off the bench. Agree with press more

Reaction Score
7 game series and we might win 1 game. Spread prediction? -13.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I think we just need to play with the sustained intensity of the 9-0 run in the final 65 seconds of the WSU game.

The key is the first 5 minutes. Can’t let the game get to 12-2 or something because it’ll be 90-60 before we know it.

Reaction Score
It’s going to be tough. I wouldn’t be opposed to trying to press the whole game but that could lead to a lot of foul trouble. We can’t afford to put them in the bonus early if at all. We have to hit threes. Vital and Bouknight probably need 20+ points each. Gaffney can’t afford to play scared when he gets in the game.

Reaction Score
We need Gilbert to score 20 points in an efficient effort.

Reaction Score
  • Crash and own the boards
  • pressure the ballhandlers(heckle them, double team, fullcourt press them)
  • start running a 3-2 zone defense with Akok defending one side of the paint and Carlton the other. The more both of them are able to crash the defensive boards and box out the better. In the man D other teams keep drawing our bigs away from the paint. Have the three guards pinch the offense when they try to go to the corners. Have the big man on the strong side front the player in the paint to cut off that pass and force them to try and throw the ball over the D to the opposite side of the court where either Akok or Bouknight with their long arms can intercept the pass. Run that a couple of times down the court then switch back to man. Give them something different to try and figure out for a change.
  • Make some free throws. They had that Wichita St. game won if they had made their free throws.
  • Play like this is the last game of the season.
  • Less Gafney(not ready for prime time), more Wilson, Adams and Whalley.

Reaction Score
One advantage I can see for us is I think gilbert and Vital can make their ball handlers life’s a living hell with onball defense

Reaction Score
I see us getting burned on pick and rolls and backdoor passes. What's the line? 10?

Reaction Score
I see us getting burned on pick and rolls and backdoor passes. What's the line? 10?
Not so much p and r. We will look for 3s. If the perimeter is defended tight, look for drives that (1) go to the rim, (2) kick back out for a 3, or (3) finds another cutter to the rim. (3) is that back door threat.

Reaction Score
Defense leading to offense. Think Flordia/Kentucky 2014 NCAA Tournament.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not so much p and r. We will look for 3s. If the perimeter is defended tight, look for drives that (1) go to the rim, (2) kick back out for a 3, or (3) finds another cutter to the rim. (3) is that back door threat.

Clearly, that's Jay's offense. It's what I think Dan wants to run but doesn't have the horses to execute.

As for UConn winning, I think strobe lights on the Villanova offense end would be my first choice. Barring that, I think UConn has to pressure the shooters and play a one man zone on the rim. It's the only way to defend that offense properly. If we see Carlton and Akok chasing outside we will get torched by those drives to the rim.

Unfortunately, Hurley has given no indication that he's willing to leave a rim protector at home, and several opponents have exploited that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom