Villanova Still Really Wants to Play Big East Football | The Boneyard

Villanova Still Really Wants to Play Big East Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jay Wrigth says:

Jay Wright understands that expansion and college athletics is about football though. Good football is important to supporting a strong basketball conference, but for the Wildcats, it goes deeper than that.
“The bottom line is that Villanova wants to be in the Big East for football. Bottom line. We’ve said it. We’ve worked with the Big East on it. We understand the situation in the Big East right now. We don’t like that we’re not in right now, but we have to be loyal members and let the football schools do what’s best. They know what’s best.”
Villanova football and Temple’s conference affiliation seem to be tied together too.
“Temple has nothing to do with that. Everything to do with Temple is great, just put Villanova in for football. That’s all. If they’re going to put Temple in? Great,” Wright said.
“You’ve got to put Villanova in for football. We’re thirty year members. Bottom line. We have great respect for Temple, we know all the positives that would come if they came, just put Villanova in for football. Period.”

http://vuhoops.com/2011/10/19/big-east-media-day-jay-wright-on-realignment/

I guess the price of admittance for Temple is Nova getting invited for football. At this point I don't think I want either of them in the BE since the ACC may be inclined to take one of them over us to appease New England's College Team. However staying in a hybrid BE with Nova and Temple playing football is probably better for us in the short term than breaking away completely and forming an all sports nightmare scenario type of conference.

Reaction Score
Villanova already applied to the ACC. They are snakes, slithering around to build themselves up to get an ACC invite.

Problem is that ship has sailed. ACC isn't going to wait on a second-tier basketball school that has no stadium. VU's best bet is some conference with UMass, Temple, Buffalo, maybe Del moves up, Marshall, etc.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If they were this dedicated to joining the BE for football this time last year this mess may have been avoided before it began.

Reaction Score
Villanova already applied to the ACC. They are snakes, slithering around to build themselves up to get an ACC invite.

Problem is that ship has sailed. ACC isn't going to wait on a second-tier basketball school that has no stadium. VU's best bet is some conference with UMass, Temple, Buffalo, maybe Del moves up, Marshall, etc.

Agree. At this point, no sense in it for UConn to support any school in the east to gain access in to the BCS. Were fighting for our own BCS life right now.

Reaction Score
Agree. At this point, no sense in it for UConn to support any school in the east to gain access in to the BCS. Were fighting for our own BCS life right now.

I agree. Other than schools the ACC would never invite like UCF, ECU, etc.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Well, Villanova, I'd like a pony, but I think we both missed our window.

Reaction Score
Nova wants to play BE football, they just don't want to make the financial commitment in building the facilities (both stadium and practice/team) that would enable them to. I want to lose 15 pounds, but I don't want to give up beer, go on a diet, or exercise more than I already do.

Ain't gonna happen, for me or Nova, until we make that commitment.

Reaction Score

Villanova has a pretty good football program and overall they are probably better than Temple. The stadium problem has been solved so I've been told by someone pretty close to the university. The problem is that Villanova dragged its feet, Cuse and Pitt left and now it is a different world.

Reaction Score
No Danzz...they aren'tbetter than Temple. You could have made that argument maybe a few years ago, but it isn't true today. And they don't draw flies. They have had some solid years, and won a national championship in 1AA but that's a long way from being a D-1A level team. Oh, and this year they are 1-6 and Temple beat them 42-7 . And I'm not sure how they've solved the stadium problem. they were looking to upgrade without having to risk much. wanted payday games with other Big East teams. Wanted to play in a minnimally qualified stadium. Look, Temple doesn't exactly turn people away, but they do outdraaw Villanova by a factor of 3 or 4 playng a MAC schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom