View from Row 2 (First EX game) | The Boneyard

View from Row 2 (First EX game)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
OVERALL: This team will probably be better than last year's team. Why? 1. Ball will move better on a more consistent basis; looks like zero excessive dribbling or holding on to the ball. 2. On-court communication will be excellent. 3. More depth (although I have a strong hunch that Coach already has his "preferred eight" pretty well determined). 4. As great as Stewart is and as well as she played tonight, she seemed to be among peers for the most part, which to me says a whole lot about the rest of the club.

SENIORS: STOKES blocking skills might be better than ever, though we'll have to see her against some bigger opponents....more aggressive in seeking (and making) shots down low, and that bodes very well.....seems ready to get her nose bloodied and mix it up inside. KML shot looks very fluid..... a real force on the boards....a real force on defense.

JUNIORS: STEWART looked sharp on 3's and sharp with assists, boards, rebounds, defense.....aggressive yet relaxed.....seemed to be enjoying herself more.....perhaps a lesson from Dolson?......no apparent problems with foot. JEFFERSON: dynamo yet under control....all over the floor and all over the opposition....confident, mature, leader....AA.

SOPHS: TUCK: looks to be in really excellent condition....toned....lean....strong....could be building toward a huge year. CHONG: Looked even better than her best last year.....involved, part of things rather than spectating....showing confidence and even leadership....moving decisively and aggressively more of the time.

NEWBIES and WALK-ONS: BUTLER will prob be a huge fan favorite when her time comes around.....already full of clapping and smiling and intensity. Looking lovely and way long and tall in her heels at courtside. NURSE: seems the most intense (and I like that) of the "Four Freshmen." Talks a lot on D, and plays hard and well on D.....leadership.....finds a way or ways to score and be a factor. WILLIAMS: seems like a lot of potential there....very little evidence of injury hang-over......not surprised to see her in front court given her leaping ability and build and our backcourt strength.....did not get a sense of intensity from her (masked by confidence perhaps?) EKMARK: was a little disappointed at this first exposure......gave effort on D but either a lot to learn or not athletic enough to be a tiger there at this point....was a bit surprised she launched as many shots as she did, but she obviously feels like she is going to make them....intensity an issue?....not sure. EDWARDS: did not get a whole lot of exposure and did not show a lot in her limited time....intensity?
LAWLOR: based on her limited time tonight, not a stretch to say she might challenge a couple of the frosh?...no question re her intensity or her determination on D.....and doesn't she have a relatively high percentage on 3's?
PULIDO: brings energy and likes to chuck it up there.

Reaction Score
OVERALL: This team will probably be better than last year's team. Why? 1. Ball will move better on a more consistent basis; looks like zero excessive dribbling or holding on to the ball. 2. On-court communication will be excellent. 3. More depth (although I have a strong hunch that Coach already has his "preferred eight" pretty well determined). 4. As great as Stewart is and as well as she played tonight, she seemed to be among peers for the most part, which to me says a whole lot about the rest of the club.

SENIORS: STOKES blocking skills might be better than ever, though we'll have to see her against some bigger opponents....more aggressive in seeking (and making) shots down low, and that bodes very well.....seems ready to get her nose bloodied and mix it up inside. KML shot looks very fluid..... a real force on the boards....a real force on defense.

JUNIORS: STEWART looked sharp on 3's and sharp with assists, boards, rebounds, defense.....aggressive yet relaxed.....seemed to be enjoying herself more.....perhaps a lesson from Dolson?.no apparent problems with foot. JEFFERSON: dynamo yet under control....all over the floor and all over the opposition....confident, mature, leader....AA.

SOPHS: TUCK: looks to be in really excellent condition....toned....lean....strong....could be building toward a huge year. CHONG: Looked even better than her best last year.....involved, part of things rather than spectating....showing confidence and even leadership....moving decisively and aggressively more of the time.

NEWBIES and WALK-ONS: BUTLER will prob be a huge fan favorite when her time comes around.....already full of clapping and smiling and intensity. Looking lovely and way long and tall in her heels at courtside. NURSE: seems the most intense (and I like that) of the "Four Freshmen." Talks a lot on D, and plays hard and well on D.....leadership.....finds a way or ways to score and be a factor. WILLIAMS: seems like a lot of potential there....very little evidence of injury hang-over.not surprised to see her in front court given her leaping ability and build and our backcourt strength.....did not get a sense of intensity from her (masked by confidence perhaps?) EKMARK: was a little disappointed at this first exposure.gave effort on D but either a lot to learn or not athletic enough to be a tiger there at this point....was a bit surprised she launched as many shots as she did, but she obviously feels like she is going to make them....intensity an issue?....not sure. EDWARDS: did not get a whole lot of exposure and did not show a lot in her limited time....intensity?
LAWLOR: based on her limited time tonight, not a stretch to say she might challenge a couple of the frosh?...no question re her intensity or her determination on D.....and doesn't she have a relatively high percentage on 3's?
PULIDO: brings energy and likes to chuck it up there.

Reaction Score
I was right behind the bench and the coaching staff told Courtney Ekmark
to shoot it if she got the shot. This was after she missed the first two. I guess
they wanted her to get her confidence taking a three.

Reaction Score
MR MO: interesting and glad to hear that news. The three is supposed to be one of her great strengths, as we all know. But after Geno's recent comments suggesting that working with private trainers can create a kind of "me" orientation vs "we," I found myself thinking, "Oh boy, I don't think this kid got the message" when was calling for her shot during the game. So am very pleased to this from you. Ekmark had a nice touch from the foul line.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Things appear bright! Well - sounds like I missed some fun! Thanks Win!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
OVERALL: This team will probably be better than last year's team.

I appreciate the first-hand observations, but.......last year's team was statistically just about as good as any team ever and graduated two All-Americans. Think you might be overselling it juuuuust a bit.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I think we have three AA's on this team right now...and a couple more in the making as well. If you look at the top 5-6 it's probably nip and tuck, with last year maybe edging out....but if you look at the "bench" and the physical condition of K, well this year might be the edger. Fun to speculate about things like this just before the season actually starts.

Great to have the report, Win. How was attendance?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm not the least bit concerned about this year's team.
next year's,
the year after that, …

Reaction Score
I appreciate the first-hand observations, but..last year's team was statistically just about as good as any team ever and graduated two All-Americans. Think you might be overselling it juuuuust a bit.

Hi SLU: can understand your caution ( I continue to fear many teams and an antsy before every opponent), but I'm stickin with my stance here, for the several reasons stated. Given my respect for your solid take on things, I'd be interested to know if you take issue with any of those?? And would you add any others??
So little real data thus far, but will note just for interest that we won the two EX games last year by s.t. like 66 and 64 (not exact, but close) and last night's nail-biter was by, what, about 90?? With relatively little scoring from Tuck.

Reaction Score
I think we have three AA's on this team right now...and a couple more in the making as well. If you look at the top 5-6 it's probably nip and tuck, with last year maybe edging out....but if you look at the "bench" and the physical condition of K, well this year might be the edger. Fun to speculate about things like this just before the season actually starts.

Great to have the report, Win. How was attendance?

Yo, SEMP: Reported attendance was north of 6,000, which is quite impressive for an exhibition. Better yet, in my view: the crowd was enthusiastic from the get-go and not overly "corporate" or staid. We spent the first half with the parents of W.C.'s Junaid because I spotted her dad's "Navy Dad" blue and gold cap, and some of you know how much I revere those who risk their lives for us. They were just amazed at the atmosphere for an EX game.....and I mean AMAZED!
After one of the "UCONN.....Huskies!" shout and response trips, one of the W.C. parents came out with a halfhearted "West Chester" to which Junaid's folks responded with a mild "Rams." I complimented them on being such quick learners; I think the fans and team from PA learned a few things last night that they will take with them, in a very positive way.
By the way, another one of the Junaid kids played on that very good Rutgers team with Prince, Carson, et al.
One negative about the crowd was that a lot of folks began bailing, some even at half time. Our merry little group wanted to see every second of every kid's playing time, plus the band serenade at the end.

Reaction Score
I'm not the least bit concerned about this year's team.
next year's,
the year after that, …

MSF: well, you know what? Not only will this year's team play better ball (not nec better record) than last year's, but next year's will be better than this edition. How about them apples?

Reaction Score
If you followed Courtney's high school career, she is without question a we player.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I'd be interested to know if you take issue with any of those?? And would you add any others??

I'm pretty much with you on all your points. I'm still hesitant to declare Chong's progression until we see it for a month or so, but so far so good. Also agree about Ekmark. I think she'll eventually be very valuable as a shooter but she'll have to use guile and smarts to help her overcome her lack of foot speed and athleticism. Here's hoping Tuck and Stokes can give UConn a big 5 rather than a big 3.

Reaction Score
Good to read that, SLU. Think your comments are on target and that your hopes about Tuck and Stokes will be realized.

And actually, I did think of one other reason why we'll be a better team this year: I think Geno becomes a better coach almost every year. See him as being a lot better than he was a decade ago, and he might well have been the top of his peer group back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom