Video of UConn's first NCAA Tournament team | The Boneyard

Video of UConn's first NCAA Tournament team

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Apologies if this has been posted already, but it's pretty rare that I come across footage of any of Geno's pre-1995 teams, so I thought it was worth the risk of possibly creating a duplicate thread. This is an old Channel 8 story showcasing the 1988-89 Huskies on the eve of their first-round matchup against La Salle, UConn's first ever NCAA Tournament game. (Spoiler: we didn't win. :oops:)

There are a few really nice game highlights, as well as assorted wise thoughts from Geno, who's pretty sure something special's going on here—they drew 2,000 fans for the Providence game! :D Also, he hasn't changed a bit! :rolleyes:

Hope you all enjoy. :)

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I've never seen a Geno interview from that long ago. What has happened to the wiseguy Philly accent? It was almost like watching a clip from the movie "Jersey Boys" about Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I've never seen a Geno interview from that long ago. What has happened to the wiseguy Philly accent? It was almost like watching a clip from the movie "Jersey Boys" about Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons.
He has been corrupted by gentile New England and mongrelized! CT especially is a very corrupted linguistic state with influence from NY and Boston, plus everywhere else in the world and every college campus is even more transient.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
He has been corrupted by gentile New England and mongrelized! CT especially is a very corrupted linguistic state with influence from NY and Boston, plus everywhere else in the world and every college campus is even more transient.

He may have lost his accent, but he's never going to lose the wiseguy. That's what Pat Summitt never got. Many Southerners don't relate well to that brash, cocky, yankee wiseguy personality.

Reaction Score
"Perhaps the best is yet to come?" Yeah I'd say so.
I liked how there's guys in the background of the field house playing intramural floor hockey while Geno's being interviewed. Times sure have changed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom