Vic Schaefer channels his inner Geno | The Boneyard

Vic Schaefer channels his inner Geno

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Following the 61 point loss at the hands of UConn in the Sweet 16 last year, MS St coach Vic Schaefer spent some time with Geno after the season looking for help improving his team's offense. Of course Geno obliged and Schaefer set out this season with the goal of adding a better offense to the Bulldogs stifling defense.

Unfortunately, for most of the season, MS St struggled to score points, just like every other team in the SEC. After losing to SC in the SEC championship, with another disappointing showing on offense, evidently Schaefer had had enough.

In a move even Geno would be impressed by, Schaefer benched 4 of 5 starters, including Victoria Vivians, to start both their 1st & 2nd round games, starting a group led by his pg daughter. The Bulldogs responded by scoring 110 & 92 points in the two games, both easy wins.

When asked about benching his starters to begin tournament games, Schaefer gave the somewhat cryptic response, "We have some issues to work through."

Geno would be proud.....

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It does help when your team goes 10 deep but kudos to Schaefer to do whats best for the team at such a critical time. I am not sure if "issues" are basketball related or something else?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It does help when your team goes 10 deep but kudos to Schaefer to do whats best for the team at such a critical time. I am not sure if "issues" are basketball related or something else?
A little further insight into Schaefer's reasoning from his press conference following the 1st round win vs Troy:

"The films don't lie. Sometimes you think you're running hard and you not. I think our whole team got a lesson today."

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A little further insight into Schaefer's reasoning from his press conference following the 1st round win vs Troy:

"The films don't lie. Sometimes you think you're running hard and you not. I think our whole team got a lesson today."

Ok. Basketball related. I would never switch back.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, for most of the season, MS St struggled to score points, just like every other team in the SEC. After losing to SC in the SEC championship, with another disappointing showing on offense, evidently Schaefer had had enough.

Is this really accurate? Miss St has averaged 75.9 points per game, which is more than well-regarded offensive teams like Louisville, UCLA, and Texas.

It's not clear to me that he benched those starters for lack of offensive production. To me it sounded more like a discipline or attitude check.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Is this really accurate? Miss St has averaged 75.9 points per game, which is more than well-regarded offensive teams like Louisville, UCLA, and Texas.

It's not clear to me that he benched those starters for lack of offensive production. To me it sounded more like a discipline or attitude check.
I'm sure Schaefer benched them for lack of effort, a byproduct of which was lack of offense. Over the last 8 SEC games, MS St has averaged right around 60 pts per game including losses to KY, TN & SC.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm sure Schaefer benched them for lack of effort, a byproduct of which was lack of offense. Over the last 8 SEC games, MS St has averaged right around 60 pts per game including losses to KY, TN & SC.
Agreed. I can't remember which of those games it was where he yanked Vivians very early and sat her for most of the 1st quarter, and it was about her effort level. This was just an escalation of the same.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom