Very OT: Stealing a car in under 1 minute | The Boneyard

Very OT: Stealing a car in under 1 minute

Reaction Score
We all love our technology but thieves love it better. Talk about smart homes, e-wallet, smart cars and other home computerized technology, are we and our possessions really safer? I bet some people even have that tech were you use your phone to unlock your front/back doors. Old school stuff will make its way back into our culture sooner or later.

Take a look at this and marvel:

pj

Reaction Score
I think this is just a mistake from Mercedes. Why should the key transmit its door-opening and ignition-igniting message in response to a radio signal? That's an obvious security risk, and when would a car owner ever need to send a radio message to the key? Presumably this is a backdoor Mercedes built in so that they could take a random key and find out what car it belongs to.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This is dumb engineering. Secondly as tech advances thieves advance as well. This doesn’t mean we should stop tech advances.

Reaction Score
Few years ago I was reading on a BMW forum how thieves were either smashing windows or finding unlocked cars and plugging in devices into the OBDII port and simply reprogramming blank/stolen key fobs to work with the victims car. Same thing they could steal the car in a minute or two.

Crazy here that it's just using their own key's signal.

pj

Reaction Score
Few years ago I was reading on a BMW forum how thieves were either smashing windows or finding unlocked cars and plugging in devices into the OBDII port and simply reprogramming blank/stolen key fobs to work with the victims car. Same thing they could steal the car in a minute or two.

Crazy here that it's just using their own key's signal.

The devices they plug into the OBDII port were probably stolen from the car manufacturers.

Reaction Score
A manual transmission is the best theft deterrent around :)

Reaction Score
I read that car manufacturers have no incentive to make cars theft proof. If a car gets stolen and not recovered, the victim buys another car with the insurance money. Why would they want to stop that?

Reaction Score
We all love our technology but thieves love it better. Talk about smart homes, e-wallet, smart cars and other home computerized technology, are we and our possessions really safer? I bet some people even have that tech were you use your phone to unlock your front/back doors. Old school stuff will make its way back into our culture sooner or later.

Take a look at this and marvel:

Interesting, although I wonder why are they wearing all white onesies?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom