very OT: block island trip | The Boneyard

very OT: block island trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm going to be up in CT for a long weekend for the Durham fair, and I was going to take the girlfriend to block island for a day.

Any suggestions on where to stay near point Judith? Also any good seafood spots would be much appreciated

I figure why check a travel site when I have the boneyard?

Reaction Score
You know there is a high speed ferry fron New London too. No need to go to Galilee RI. Bit more expensive ($10 more than PJ high speed) but quick and easy.

https://www.goblockisland.com/Common/Help.aspx?page=specials

If you do decide to go out of PJ - nice casual classic RI seafood place is Aunt Carrie's on Ocean Ave near Rt 108 - clam cakes to die for!

Reaction Score
Thanks friar

Ive got a friend in Narragansett so I wanted to swing by see him and grab some pizza from his restaurant otherwise I'd probably do the new London one. And were going to block island Saturday and flying out Sunday otherwise I'd definitely look into just staying on the island

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Wow.. talk about bringing up childhood memories. I don't think I missed a Durham Fair until I turned 20 and we used to go to Block Island for a week every summer.

Reaction Score
The Chop House(formerly Casey's) is excellent. Iggys is great for clam cakes
Don't get sucked into Auht Carries

Reaction Score
Is that monsterous seafood buffet in Narragansett still there? I remember it was at some hotel there, and was a take off on the old Custy's.

Reaction Score
Wow.. talk about bringing up childhood memories. I don't think I missed a Durham Fair until I turned 20 and we used to go to Block Island for a week every summer.
Ya its been probably 10 years since I've been. I grew up in middlefield so the town used to close school on Friday and we would all go to the fair

Really looking forward to going back. The state/county fairs here in NC are terrible

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I like George's right at the point. Good food, reasonable prices.

The inn right across from the ferry is god awful. Do not stay there.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Matunek Oyster, as mentioned, is great.

If you are going to stray from seafood I would recommend Crazy Burger for breakfast (BYOB, amazing menu, cool space), Brickley's for Ice Cream, Spain for lunch and Marcos Mediterranean (again, BYOB right by Crazy Burger).

Enjoy your stay, that part of RI is gorgeous.

Reaction Score
The Dutch Inn is the hotel referred to; avoid it at all costs. Rough crowd

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Ya its been probably 10 years since I've been. I grew up in middlefield so the town used to close school on Friday and we would all go to the fair

Really looking forward to going back. The state/county fairs here in NC are terrible

Grew up in Durham.

Have you been since they built on the new buildings? It kind of ruins the open feeling and they've pushed the pulls and the main entertainment way out to either side... but other than that it's still pretty much the same.

Reaction Score
I'm going to be up in CT for a long weekend for the Durham fair, and I was going to take the girlfriend to block island for a day.

Any suggestions on where to stay near point Judith? Also any good seafood spots would be much appreciated

I figure why check a travel site when I have the boneyard?

Matunuck Oyster is excellent but I second the George's of Galilee recommendation. Food's very good and it's a couple hundred yards from the ferry. I also agree that Aunt Carrie's is to be avoided.

Reaction Score
I also agree that Aunt Carrie's is to be avoided.

Did the place go in the crapper the last few years - been 3 years since I ate there. Wasn't high end by any means but had decent fried seafood.

Reaction Score
Grew up in Durham.

Have you been since they built on the new buildings? It kind of ruins the open feeling and they've pushed the pulls and the main entertainment way out to either side... but other than that it's still pretty much the same.

I don't think so. Pulls and the main stage were still relatively close to the center last i went. Glad to hear it hasn't changed too much that way I can at least pretend like I know where I'm going when I'm leading the girlfriend around!

Reaction Score
Did the place go in the crapper the last few years - been 3 years since I ate there. Wasn't high end by any means but had decent fried seafood.

Iggy's has always been the choice of the locals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1