Very OT: 2016 Vacation?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Archive' started by Kitaman, May 3, 2016.

1. Kitaman

Kitaman

Its off season and many of us are looking for somewhere to vacation. I am looking for ideas but more-so deals.

Check this one out: Linky This is my favorite until end of month decision time.

Here's a nice quick getaway in 'grimy' AC, but I don't know if the beach is warm in June: Linky

(I've done pretty good with Travelzoo.)

Its me and my wife, won't be doing the Africa thing like @Jay-Bone but USA this summer/fall. Where are you all going and care to share especially if you got a good deal? I just might follow you there.

Jay-Bone and UconnFanNVa like this.
  2. UconnFanNVa

UconnFanNVa

That scottsdale resort place looks like a nice deal man! I'm actually in the process of looking for somewhere to go and something to do over the memorial day weekend. I'll share here if i find anything.

I'm also thinking about doing an all-inclusive resort early 2017 for me and my wife's 10 year anniversary. But trying to ball on a budget for that one (and she doesnt want to go to mexico and we'll already been to punta cana DR).

3. Fishy

Fishy Puncher of Throats

For a reasonable fee, you can rent a campsite in my all-inclusive backyard. There is a pond across the street for swimming and fishing, a mountain next to that for hiking and, I guess, mountaining and you can drink out of the hose whenever you want. For a little extra, I will rent a port-o-potty for your convenience. The yard offers activities such as walking around, sitting on the grass and Lyme Disease.

Word of warning - the lawn-mowing guy comes on Fridays at 8 am. He had a car crash in high school and he's never been quite right since - he usually mows over everything left in the yard, so you might want to be on your toes lest you end up like deli ham.

4. Kitaman

Kitaman

Actually I've been looking for a place to send my wife and her nosy arse girlfriend for a week. Don't joke Fishy because this is an ideal spot for her. And as you know from my post in the 'Tao of Married Life' thread I could use a nice break.

Gutter King likes this.
  5. Chin Diesel

Chin Diesel Power of Love

We're going to Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri for a week with 3 other couples. It's a group of us that used to work together in the Navy. One of the couples has a timeshare and they're footing the cost of a four bedroom house.

We'll have a couple of days where guys go golfing and gals go to the spa. We'll probably rent a boat and explore the Lake one of the days as well. Night will be food, drinks and plenty of stories filled with embellishments.

I've never visited that part of America and I have no idea what to expect.

6. Kitaman

Kitaman

Lake of Ozarks is fantastic. I need to go back there. I flew in to KC then rented a car driving through Mayberry type communities. However that was 20 years ago. How are you getting there? I might consider this because I love freshwater fishing. Of course there is a lot of other stuff to do down there. Also which part are you staying at?

Its a modern day camping site resort, meaning its freshwater, clean land but urban activities (restaurant chains, malls, amusements/arcades, movies, etc.) on the main roads. Linky

7. Northbound

Northbound

Lake of the Ozarks is this some type of swingers vacation?

Enjoy it.

Chin Diesel likes this.
  8. Ewekon

Ewekon

WOW! The Boulders deal is unbelievable. I have stayed there and other resorts in and around Scottsdale such as The Princess and Phoenician. If you can get decent airfare you wont be disappointed. You can golf and/or spa. Or hike and horseback ride and all in between. Cant think of a better deal at $109 especially with the credits involved. Short distance from Phoenix airport. And if you are a traveling baseball fan, the Diamondbacks' stadium is twenty minutes and very cool.

Food at the resorts is very expensive. That $25 might get each of you a drink. But good food at good prices is all over the area and not all Tex Mex. Go for it!

9. NYC_HUSKY22

NYC_HUSKY22

Girlfriend and I just got back from two and a half weeks in Thailand.. I was blown away with how cheap the trip was when all was said and done. We did Bangkok - Chiang Mai - Phuket - Koh Phi Phi - Koh Lanta (so beautiful we extended our stay) - Krabi and then back to Bangkok before we left. Round trip the flights were less then $700 out of JFK, flights within the country were less then $40 per person (on large modern aircraft believe it or not), the most we spent on a hotel was $85 a night - which also happened to be a five star resort. PLUS the dollar goes a ridiculously long way there. Bigger vacation that takes a tad more planning - but i highly recommend it. With spending money i think I spent around $2300 all in.

10. Chin Diesel

Two of us couples are doing a 12 hour drive in a rented SUV.

Couldn't justify flying two-leg flight and then having to drive a rental 2+ hours more.

We're staying near Osage Beach. Our friends have their timeshare with Wyndham Resorts.

11. Chin Diesel

Looks interesting.

I can assure we won't be anywhere near 100+ boats are tied off together. I can do that every weekend in Florida.

12. uconnfan68

uconnfan68

Read that the golf is excellent. Don't remember the name of a fairly new course (featured on golf channel), but it was spectacular. Enjoy!

Chin Diesel likes this.
  13. Chin Diesel

Looks like it's very close to where we are staying. Maybe, just maybe I'll have to steer a rental boat over there. As a sign of good will we'll bring a few hundred jello shots.

Northbound likes this.
  14. Kitaman

Kitaman

Yeah the Princess is nice, loved it. I may pull the trigger on the Scottsdale deal because of the price, and might even upgrade. Airfare is around $300 per round trip. That probably is half of what it was a year ago, so all around its a great deal.

Chin Diesel likes this.
  15. Northbound

Northbound

When I read Lake of the Ozarks I immediately thought of what people relayed to me about it when I lived in KC. I've never been, but that video accurately depicts what I was told.

But I've heard the lake is pretty nice outside of Party Cove.

All kidding aside enjoy it.

16. uconndoit

uconndoit

Yup - that's why I moved to SEA! I went from pinching pennies in a box of an apartment in Manhattan to not even thinking about money while living very well in Bali then Vietnam and now Bangkok.

August_West, CTMike and NYC_HUSKY22 like this.
  17. NYC_HUSKY22

NYC_HUSKY22

Shame I didn't run into you when I was down there. I wore at least one item of UConn gear on when I went out in hopes of meeting another Husky fan in SEA!

uconndoit likes this.
  18. uconndoit

uconndoit

nice! i wear mine every so often. i've seen a few people wearing UConn gear over the years and chatted with some of them. its always fun to run into fellow fans overseas.

19. BoatShow

BoatShow

Going to NOLA with my girlfriend in June. Should be okay.

UconnFanNVa likes this.
  20. huskyharry

huskyharry Hooyah

I going on a five-month cruise of the Western Pacific, Indian Ocean, Arabian Sea and Persian Gulf. Brochure highlights will include a few days in Singapore, Palawan, Cebu. Less attractive spots could include Goa, India, a few weeks in Subic Bay and Bahrain in the heat of the summer. It should be fun.
    You could probably join me but you will have to see your local Navy Recuiter first!

21. Dogbreath2U

Dogbreath2U

This sounds like the real "all-inclusive" plan!

huskyharry likes this.
  22. Samoo

Samoo

Just returned from 6-days in Croatia, mostly in Istria. Wine, food, Roman and Byzantine ruins, more wine and food.one of my favorite places in the world and we keep going back.

BigErnMcCracken likes this.
  23. Chin Diesel

Be safe. Keep your head on a swivel.

uconnell likes this.
  24. UconnFanNVa

UconnFanNVa

Went to this place called 3muses 1 night for dinner, it was awesome. Really chill vibe, good music and awesome food and drinks. Its nice to get in and get a seat though because the place is small but PACKED. And people dont like to leave because the music is so nice and chill. Worth checking out.

http://www.3musesnola.com/

25. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.

Expect hillbillies. My law school roommate was from Springfield and he called himself a hillbilly. Of course he also has an orange Lamborghini now. I have some family there still.

In all seriousness, it's pretty nice. Branson has changed the whole region and it and the Lakes are sort of a joint draw with Branson for summer tourists.

superjohn and Chin Diesel like this.