Very Offseason Topic: Musical Instrumentation At Home Games | The Boneyard

Very Offseason Topic: Musical Instrumentation At Home Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Decades ago, I believe it was the Philadelphia Phillies who had a relief pitcher whose nickname was "Wild Thing". Not a very flattering nickname for a relief pitcher, but there it was. Whenever he entered a game at home, the public address system in the stadium would actually play that song as he was walking in from the bullpen and throwing his warm-up pitches.

It keeps occurring to me that UConn could spice up their Gampel and Xcel Center experience by doing a similar thing. There are (or have been) plenty of opportunities:

• When Caroline Doty was playing, and she hit a 3-point shot that caused the other team to call a time-out, the Pep Band could strike up "Sweet Caroline".
  • In more current times, when KLS does the same thing, they could play "Hello Mary Lou". Since it would be an instrumental piece, the crowd could easily change the one syllable that doesn't fit.
  • Next year will provide the best opportunity of all when Ms. Bent sinks a 3 and the other team needs to regroup. Let's hear "Good Golly Miss Molly"!
I know that this probably won't be done because it goes against the prevailing ethic by calling attention to individuals rather than the team. But if there is a need for some occasional sparkle, there it is.

Reaction Score
The theme song from the old radio/tv shows, Sargent Preston of the Yukon, also known as Challenge of the Yukon, had a theme song adopted from the opera overture Donna Diana. Donna translated to English is Woman. The Sargent's dog Yukon King played a pivotal role in the show.

Some of the voice over during the Overture was amusing when applied to the UConn women's team: .....where (Wo)man and nature combine pitilessly to defeat the weak and the artless.:)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Decades ago, I believe it was the Philadelphia Phillies who had a relief pitcher whose nickname was "Wild Thing". Not a very flattering nickname for a relief pitcher, but there it was. Whenever he entered a game at home, the public address system in the stadium would actually play that song as he was walking in from the bullpen and throwing his warm-up pitches.
Mitch Williams. He gave up the World Series winning, walk-off HR to Joe Carter.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The theme song from the old radio/tv shows, Sargent Preston of the Yukon, also known as Challenge of the Yukon, had a theme song adopted from the opera overture Donna Diana. Donna translated to English is Woman. The Sargent's dog Yukon King played a pivotal role in the show.

Some of the voice over during the Overture was amusing when applied to the UConn women's team: .....where (Wo)man and nature combine pitilessly to defeat the weak and the artless.:)

Gosh, I remember that show...have to be of an age.
Used to sit by my families's old Philco and put my ear right up next to the speaker
Sgt Preston of the North West Mounted Police.
Never heard of von Reznicek (even much later).
In the 80's, the Orchestra I led played a 2 or 3 concert mini- fest
of his work at Town Hall

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
no music can be playing while the game is being "played"

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
This probably is almost unrelated to the original topic, but what about the amount of time the university band is give to play? We used to go to many games and watch a bunch on TV now, and it seems that the band has been relegated to bit parts throughout the game. This always disturbed me, because one of the things that makes a college game a college game is the trappings - the band, the cheerleaders, etc. It's not that UConn has a lousy band. I think the band is pretty good, and compares favorably to many of the opponents' bands throughout the year. But I am sure it is not my imagination that they play a lot less now than they used to. I think it's a shame.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
This probably is almost unrelated to the original topic, but what about the amount of time the university band is give to play? We used to go to many games and watch a bunch on TV now, and it seems that the band has been relegated to bit parts throughout the game. This always disturbed me, because one of the things that makes a college game a college game is the trappings - the band, the cheerleaders, etc. It's not that UConn has a lousy band. I think the band is pretty good, and compares favorably to many of the opponents' bands throughout the year. But I am sure it is not my imagination that they play a lot less now than they used to. I think it's a shame.
nah they play enough... do you attend the games.

also I think the "live DJ" cuts into their time. or maybe there isnt enough breaks between the action (quarters)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

It keeps occurring to me that UConn could spice up their Gampel and Xcel Center experience by doing a similar thing. There are (or have been) plenty of opportunities:

• When Caroline Doty was playing, and she hit a 3-point shot that caused the other team to call a time-out, the Pep Band could strike up "Sweet Caroline".
  • In more current times, when KLS does the same thing, they could play "Hello Mary Lou". Since it would be an instrumental piece, the crowd could easily change the one syllable that doesn't fit.
  • Next year will provide the best opportunity of all when Ms. Bent sinks a 3 and the other team needs to regroup. Let's hear "Good Golly Miss Molly"!
I know that this probably won't be done because it goes against the prevailing ethic by calling attention to individuals rather than the team. But if there is a need for some occasional sparkle, there it is.
The Wild Thing nickname came from the movie Major League and not a reference to his actual pitching.

Reaction Score
nah they play enough... do you attend the games.

also I think the "live DJ" cuts into their time. or maybe there isnt enough breaks between the action (quarters)
I've gone to a game or two, though not in recent years. A little bit of geography has made it impossible. But concepts such as the live DJ and more canned music (which IMHO does not get the crowd more into the game) have eaten away at the role the band has played.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The Wild Thing nickname came from the movie Major League and not a reference to his actual pitching.
Like Charlie Shean in the movie, Williams did have some control issues.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I've gone to a game or two, though not in recent years. A little bit of geography has made it impossible. But concepts such as the live DJ and more canned music (which IMHO does not get the crowd more into the game) have eaten away at the role the band has played.
100% correct. No live DJ at Arizona, but lots of canned music (and scoreboard "features") limit playing time for the band. Reports indicate the same thing at Rutgers (I think they also have the DJ). And yes, I prefer the band. But I'm not of the generation they would like to attract, although I'm heading into the generation that seems to show up.;)

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Decades ago, I believe it was the Philadelphia Phillies who had a relief pitcher whose nickname was "Wild Thing". Not a very flattering nickname for a relief pitcher, but there it was. Whenever he entered a game at home, the public address system in the stadium would actually play that song as he was walking in from the bullpen and throwing his warm-up pitches..

Reaction Score
Assuming they know enough songs, I am of the opinion that there can never be enough band. Go to a UC Davis game (which my wife and I had the pleasure of doing a couple of years ago when UConn was playing there) and watch what the band does. Excitement throughout the game and then, afterward, a concert in an open area outside the pavillion. Just wonderful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom