Very interesting read | The Boneyard

Very interesting read

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
in UofL magazine march 2013 issue on how Jurich beat UConn to the punch on the ACC and outworked them because he had prior knowledge about the ACC looking to replace MD ( from Pat Forde). No mention on how they tried to screw WVU out of the Big 12 invite.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
in UofL magazine march 2013 issue on how Jurich beat UConn to the punch on the ACC and outworked them because he had prior knowledge about the ACC looking to replace MD ( from Pat Forde). No mention on how they tried to screw WVU out of the Big 12 invite.

Cool read in the NY Times on VE day. Talks about how the allies won WWII

Reaction Score
Sea Goat Jurich was tipped off by Pat Forde about MD leaving before the story broke and had a head start working the phones. I doubt there was much Manuel could do at that point. Jurich had a LOT of contacts and he used them.

Reaction Score

How much of this is just lacing or just spinning towards some truth(s) that keep on moving and folding every time we are about to grab it! Personally, I think the comm. did they homework and found UL a better fit and gamble then Uconn.

Reaction Score
Fla State wanted Ville. End of story.

Reaction Score
Timing is everything. ACC in the fall of 2011 were desperate for a "football school" because they were having a poor run of results and FSU and Clemson's SOS were being constantly criticized by the national media. Also, because UMD was leaving, the door was open for other schools to leave thus the more academically oriented schools needed to acquiesce to the wishes of the football schools. Right at that time UL was on the way up and UConn football was in freefall. Jurich sealed the deal, but it was a very uphill battle for UConn at that time.

Had UMD left 2 years earlier or later (now that FSU has won a NC and UConn basketball has proven there is life after JC) UConn would have gotten the invite.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Timing is everything. ACC in the fall of 2011 were desperate for a "football school" because they were having a poor run of results and FSU and Clemson's SOS were being constantly criticized by the national media. Also, because UMD was leaving, the door was open for other schools to leave thus the more academically oriented schools needed to acquiesce to the wishes of the football schools. Right at that time UL was on the way up and UConn football was in freefall. Jurich sealed the deal, but it was a very uphill battle for UConn at that time.

Had UMD left 2 years earlier or later (now that FSU has won a NC and UConn basketball has proven there is life after JC) UConn would have gotten the invite.

Agreed. Ironic because now I think the ACC would want to add basketball after their conference's poor showing in last years tourney. Probably got their first up close look at their new paper tiger Cuse and realized they picked the wrong northeast basketball school with strong NYC ties. Louisville is a good program that should contend for titles with Duke and UNC. But if you swapped UCONN for Cuse, they'd have 4 major power hoops schools that are in the thick of a National Title hunt more often than not. Plus our coach is younger with a longer history ahead of him. Revisionist history I suppose.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
First, its Louisville Magazine, not U of L Magazine (which is the alumni newsletter)

Second, here is the link:
http://loumag.epubxp.com/i/111400/68

Third,

If the article is to be believed, it confirms what we all knew/suspected. FB drove the bus, academics meant nothing (The UL Prez barely concealed his sheepishness on that subject), the UNC network is real, Syracuse was angling for UL and not UConn, and certain segments of the ACC have little interest in travelling north.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I guess that is why they chose Pitt and Cuse.

In addition to not linking to the article, misquoting the source, I guess you didn't read it either. The quote was that the proximity of UL to the rest of the ACC was a factor in the discussion of UL vs. UConn. Syra/Pitt was already invited.

Reaction Score
Sorry I am barely computer literate , I misread the magazine title and I think that some of the ACC schools did not want to dilute their southern sensibilities any further.

Boy you sure do get testy.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Sorry I am barely computer literate , I misread the magazine title and I think that some of the ACC schools did not want to dilute their southern sensibilities any further.

Boy you sure do get testy.

I spent a good 20 minutes reading back copies of the UofL alumni magazine. You'd be testy, too. ;)

Reaction Score
I'd sure would like to see Warde's appointment book and cell phone logs for the same 11 day period.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom