Very Good Article on CD's Part in 999 | The Boneyard

Very Good Article on CD's Part in 999

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
“Behind the branding of U-Conn., she was the execution,” said Swin Cash, an all-American at Connecticut and the No. 2 pick in the 2002 WNBA draft the year she graduated, after teammate Sue Bird. “We would say, ‘Why are we going to this Big East event and we have to wear dress casual when other teams are coming in their team sweats?’ We used to always get, ‘Well, are you like the other teams? Do you want to look like the other teams? Or are you U-Conn.?’”

“She taught us how to walk into a room and look millionaires in the eye, or have a conversation with somebody that’s out of our age group,” said Elliott, now the head coach at Cincinnati. “Those things have really stayed with me now that I’m a head coach. . . . Those are the things that are priceless that she cared about. She made sure that we were prepared post-U-Conn. to be able to function in society.”

"Dailey said she has seriously entertained two potential head coaching job offers in her three-plus decades with Auriemma, but neither seemed a perfect fit. At Connecticut, Dailey reportedly makes more than $314,000 annually, has job security, her pick of the best recruits in the country and, as she sees it, a new challenge every season."

Meet the assistant who’s been with Geno Auriemma for all 999 career wins

Reaction Score
"Auriemma was the visionary. Dailey took control of the little things, from what the team ate (she wanted turkey sandwiches, instead of ham, for the team meals) to implementing rules such as no jeans during team outings and no sweatpants in class.

“It’s like raising kids,” Dailey said. “You just decide the things that are going to be important. There’s going to be a standard.”"

Who said you cannot teach character? This is a dou that quite possibly will never be replicated.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Geno: “Her abilities to push forward and do what needed to be done, I wouldn’t be able to do it without the things that she does,” Auriemma said. “All of my weaknesses are her strengths, and our personalities are just enough alike and just enough different.”

Swin Cash: “Behind the branding of U-Conn., she was the execution,” said Swin Cash, an all-American at Connecticut and the No. 2 pick in the 2002 WNBA draft the year she graduated, after teammate Sue Bird. “We would say, ‘Why are we going to this Big East event and we have to wear dress casual when other teams are coming in their team sweats?’ We used to always get, ‘Well, are you like the other teams? Do you want to look like the other teams? Or are you U-Conn.?’ ”

Jamelle Elliott: “She taught us how to walk into a room and look millionaires in the eye, or have a conversation with somebody that’s out of our age group,” said Elliott, now the head coach at Cincinnati. “Those things have really stayed with me now that I’m a head coach. . . . Those are the things that are priceless that she cared about. She made sure that we were prepared post-U-Conn. to be able to function in society.”

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Auriemma was the visionary. Dailey took control of the little things, from what the team ate (she wanted turkey sandwiches, instead of ham, for the team meals) to implementing rules such as no jeans during team outings and no sweatpants in class.

“It’s like raising kids,” Dailey said. “You just decide the things that are going to be important. There’s going to be a standard.”"

Who said you cannot teach character? This is a dou that quite possibly will never be replicated.

As Geno said recently:
“Whoever comes in after us certainly won’t have an easy task ahead of them,” Auriemma said. “Even if they’re great, that might not be good enough. That’s not an enviable position to be in.” Jeff Jacobs: Geno's Not Going Anywhere For At Least Five Years

Reaction Score
Besides the obvious winning and success rate of players and coaching the thing I most admire is they recruit winners as people not just winners as BB players and they demand and prepare their players for what is to come in their future endeavors on or off the BB court!
No other program in WCBB does what UCONN does and that is why UCONN has and will have the success they've had!
As Doris Burke said, " Don't hate UCONN for their winning, find out what and how they do it and copy it it's not a secret, they just plain outwork everyone else day-in-and-day-out!"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom