Very Excited for the season to start | The Boneyard

Very Excited for the season to start

Reaction Score
I am so excited for the games to begin. Really looking forward to seeing how our opponents try to match up with the Huskies. What are you going to do when you play against 3- 4 huskies on the floor who can play multiple positions? - mismatch galore. The only things I can think of is that we'll see more zone defense.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I am so excited for the games to begin. Really looking forward to seeing how our opponents try to match up with the Huskies. What are you going to do when you play against 3- 4 huskies on the floor who can play multiple positions? - mismatch galore. The only things I can think of is that we'll see more zone defense.

Based on last year, I like Crystal's skill set against zones better than a hounding man-to-man -- I think she is at her best when she penetrates into the seams and looks to dish. When Azura is in, she could be very good against the zone as well - she can shoot over the top of it so easily (the film don't lie! :D). To say nothing of Lou, and Phee, and.....

Bottom line, it will be a nightmare to defend this year's squad

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Geno has said he would press more if he had enough personnel. Now that he does he will press more on made baskets deeper into games. Against zones in the half court Geno won't change his style. He'll continue to move the ball from side to side, flash to the post and flood zones. He also plays an offensive set where a forward works the baseline, side to side from just outside the paint while a passing forward works the high post. He'll continue to play a regular hi/lo offense against zone sets, and play that little triangle variation off the skinny post. It's what he's always done. Even with the good ballhandlers he's had that could break down the offense off the dribble, such as Sue, Moriah, and Renee. He's not going to change. However with such a large and talented bench he's just going to up the pace of play. Teams are going to be dragging their butts up and down the court by the time the 4th rolls around.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Based on last year, I like Crystal's skill set against zones better than a hounding man-to-man -- I think she is at her best when she penetrates into the seams and looks to dish. When Azura is in, she could be very good against the zone as well - she can shoot over the top of it so easily (the film don't lie! :D). To say nothing of Lou, and Phee, and.....

Bottom line, it will be a nightmare to defend this year's squad

VAMike23, We're looking through the same pair of glasses on this. I've been saying the exact same thing for weeks. If the lane is open, Dangerous will a green light to attack the rim. If the defense sags in, and guards the paint, she drives and dishes to one of the 3 snipers (zone busters) she'll have standing behind the arc, for a clean/open look. Geno has come out and said Crystal has made that sophomore leap. A 180 degree turn.

We can expect her production to go up, and her turnovers to go down. Can we also expect that her defense has improved? Knowing how critical he can be, and how demanding he is, for him to publicly make that pronouncement about Crystal is exciting to hear, and should be cause for concern for opponents. This 2017-2018 team appears to have the potential as that of the 20015-2016 team, but with a deeper and more talented bench. UConn will be a match-up nightmare for most teams this year. Who you you concentrate on stopping? You can't double everybody.

Two weeks ago, Oldude asked the question: "What do you WANT to see from the Huskies this year?" That question drew many responses. Since the first exhibition game is only 7 days away, and official practice has been going now for almost 2 weeks. The question: "What do you EXPECT to see? " could be asked. What you want and what you get can be miles apart. What will we see next week when the Huskies take the floor for the first time this season against Fort Hays State?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Geno has said he would press more if he had enough personnel. Now that he does he will press more on made baskets deeper into games. Against zones in the half court Geno won't change his style. He'll continue to move the ball from side to side, flash to the post and flood zones. He also plays an offensive set where a forward works the baseline, side to side from just outside the paint while a passing forward works the high post. He'll continue to play a regular hi/lo offense against zone sets, and play that little triangle variation off the skinny post. It's what he's always done. Even with the good ball handlers he's had that could break down the offense off the dribble, such as Sue, Moriah, and Renee. He's not going to change. However with such a large and talented bench he's just going to up the pace of play. Teams are going to be dragging their butts up and down the court by the time the 4th rolls around.

Good analysis and break down Jordy. :cool: Speaking of Renee, I would love to see Dangerous take on some of Renee's character as the floor general.

Reaction Score
VAMike23, We're looking through the same pair of glasses on this. I've been saying the exact same thing for weeks. If the lane is open, Dangerous will a green light to attack the rim. If the defense sags in, and guards the paint, she drives and dishes to one of the 3 snipers (zone busters) she'll have standing behind the arc, for a clean/open look. Geno has come out and said Crystal has made that sophomore leap. A 180 degree turn.

We can expect her production to go up, and her turnovers to go down. Can we also expect that her defense has improved? Knowing how critical he can be, and how demanding he is, for him to publicly make that pronouncement about Crystal is exciting to hear, and should be cause for concern for opponents. This 2017-2018 team appears to have the potential as that of the 20015-2016 team, but with a deeper and more talented bench. UConn will be a match-up nightmare for most teams this year. Who you you concentrate on stopping? You can't double everybody.

Two weeks ago, Oldude asked the question: "What do you WANT to see from the Huskies this year?" That question drew many responses. Since the first exhibition game is only 7 days away, and official practice has been going now for almost 2 weeks. The question: "What do you EXPECT to see? " could be asked. What you want and what you get can be miles apart. What will we see next week when the Huskies take the floor for the first time this season against Fort Hays State?

Zone against one of the best three point shooting teams in WCB? Not sure that will work as we have the length to shoot over it and one of the quickest PG's in WCB to split it. Can't imagine a sagging zone with KLS and Kia in the game.
Until NC and KLS up their passing game imo, opponents should probably play man and try to deny the best shooters the ball or at least make them beat you off the dribble and hopefully have a big to rotate to help.
The good news is that neither zone nor man will work but its just a matter of how to limit the score differential.

Reaction Score
Geno has said he would press more if he had enough personnel. Now that he does he will press more on made baskets deeper into games. Against zones in the half court Geno won't change his style. He'll continue to move the ball from side to side, flash to the post and flood zones. He also plays an offensive set where a forward works the baseline, side to side from just outside the paint while a passing forward works the high post. He'll continue to play a regular hi/lo offense against zone sets, and play that little triangle variation off the skinny post. It's what he's always done. Even with the good ballhandlers he's had that could break down the offense off the dribble, such as Sue, Moriah, and Renee. He's not going to change. However with such a large and talented bench he's just going to up the pace of play. Teams are going to be dragging their butts up and down the court by the time the 4th rolls around.
Very well explained! You created a mental picture in my mind. Well done, JordyG! Thanks for "John Madden'ing" UCONN's zone busting offense!

Reaction Score

With Z and Percious and Gabby capable and effective inside---ZONE?? I guess it is pick your poison. Damned if you do , an don't. With 3 outside shooters or 6 it Gives Geno all he needs. Much of everything depends how UConn matches up---speed and size of the opponents, how THEY want to attack Uconn.\
Poor Geno born with a Golden team in his hands.
My question, to see if he answered it this year: How does Uconn handled the quick driving attacking guards, that has 3 point shooters to dish to--like Stanford (in the past). Uconn for the past something years has had trouble keeping these kind of kids in check. Will Walker, Gordon, AEH, have the skill, experience, speed to be of help??
To be serious; Uconn against big, tall, fast, small, smooth, quick , zone or any other defense will need to implode to lose.

Reaction Score
Perry WHO????? Is that someone I should ask my great grandmother about?
Add another great and you are close. But she needed one of those new fandangled thing --a picture box radio . I think he came on just before Gorgeous George wrestling hunk announced by Dennis James with a bag of peanuts to simulate breaking bones.

Reaction Score
When Lou gets hot from outside i would suggest using a septagon and one defensive arrangement to at least have some kind of chance of keeping them in double digits.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Very well explained! You created a mental picture in my mind. Well done, JordyG! Thanks for "John Madden'ing" UCONN's zone busting offense!
Thanks. By the way, there's a young lady named Magbeg that plays under. Perhaps you have some influence? We like her very, very much.

Very.

Reaction Score
"What do you EXPECT to see? "

I expect a super-6 to estblishes a certain quality of absolute excellence and "wait" for a couple of more players to emerge. Did you read the post from CamrnCrz regarding Stevens (from the thread The NCAA gives AAC a look?)? Add this to the starters from last year and Danger? I'm expecting the team to make a run at 4 1st team all-americans (in the top ten). Expect some games to be frightening great. Looking to be wowed by full season of Danger's passing this year and AZ's growth from "good" to "great." Looking for Meg Walker to be something special late in the season.

Reaction Score
I expect a super-6 to estblishes a certain quality of absolute excellence and "wait" for a couple of more players to emerge. Did you read the post from CamrnCrz regarding Stevens (from the thread The NCAA gives AAC a look?)? Add this to the starters from last year and Danger? I'm expecting the team to make a run at 4 1st team all-americans (in the top ten). Expect some games to be frightening great. Looking to be wowed by full season of Danger's passing this year and AZ's growth from "good" to "great." Looking for Meg Walker to be something special late in the season.
So true. We're on the same page here. I think the team is made for a "run and gun" offense and has the depth for a prolong press defense.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I will admit to only two shortcomings:

1) I am NOT anxious for the season to start.

2) I tend to fib.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom