Very Disappointed in ESPN | The Boneyard

Very Disappointed in ESPN

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sat on this for a while. Been a little over a week since ESPN published Voepel's hit piece about NC firing of Hatchell and hiring of (sneer) an Ivy League coach, Courtney Banghart. She dissed Banghart and promoted Elon's coach in order to announce that the Elon coach wasn't offered the position. This wasn't fair opinion journalism. This was a hit job. And to what end?

And it is still second from top article on the home page.

Shame on Voepel. Shame on ESPN.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Sat on this for a while. Been a little over a week since ESPN published Voepel's hit piece about NC firing of Hatchell and hiring of (sneer) an Ivy League coach, Courtney Banghart. She dissed Banghart and promoted Elon's coach in order to announce that the Elon coach wasn't offered the position. This wasn't fair opinion journalism. This was a hit job. And to what end?

Disappointment with ESPN is a default position.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I completely agree the Voeple denigrated the hiring of Coach Banghart and that was completely uncalled for. Voeple did not qualify this criticism with any facts or logic.

The UNC Administration absolutely deserves criticism over many issues and deservedly so, including better transparency in this.

However Voeple also bent over so far in protecting Hatchell, ignoring her past issues, minimizing the main issue of discussing injuries, pressuring players to play when injured and being dismissive of injuries substantiated by the staff.

Lastly, she clearly is not in touch with the generation of players and let’s not focus on this episode alone. How many high profile transfers has she had in 5 years? All teams have transfers now, but hers started the trend. That speaks volumes on her AND HER STAFF on their ability to communicate. She overstayed her welcome and needed to go. Now she’s gone, good luck to Coach Banghart.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
First off, it's the off-season, so there isn't going to be as much WCBB content (there's a new lead story that Voepel wrote on the top seniors to watch for next season).

Second, I think you missed the main pt of her article, which is that the entire process showed UNC is not taking WCBB seriously, based on two main points:
1. Was Banghart, who has spent her entire coaching career in the Ivy Leagues, the best they could get?
Voepel: So the North Carolina job -- which should have been highly coveted -- went to someone who throughout 19 years as a player, assistant and head coach in the Ivy League has won once in an NCAA tournament game.
To be fair, mid-major and small-conference teams consistently get lower seeds, so it's harder to make a mark in the NCAA tournament. Let's look at the regular season: In Banghart's time at Princeton, the Tigers had 11 wins against seven major-conference programs: Rutgers, Michigan, Pittsburgh, Wake Forest, Alabama, Southern Cal and Villanova (when it was in the old Big East, still considered a major conference).
Now, she'll be in a conference regularly going against the likes of two-time national champion Notre Dame, Louisville, Syracuse, Florida State, Miami, etc., along with, of course, local rivals NC State and Duke. How quickly can she adjust?
This isn't meant to cast aspersions on Banghart or the Ivy League. She might continue to thrive now that she's in a power conference recruiting more elite players. But it is meant to question whether North Carolina actually swung for the fences with this hire.
Talent will be a major factor, and Banghart will be recruiting a different caliber of player at North Carolina. (By the way, this past weekend was a major one on the recruiting calendar, but Banghart had not been given the UNC job yet.) The Ivy League doesn't have athletic scholarships, although it has academic and need-based aid. Banghart has had some very good Princeton teams, but she now enters into the full-time shark tank with all the other contenders for top talent.

2. If UNC thinks this is an awesome hire, why not actually role her out like it is, instead of doing an awkward press call?
And if the school really does believe this is a home run, why not act like it?
Banghart did her introduction to the media by teleconference Tuesday while she was still in New Jersey. She said she planned to be in Chapel Hill on Wednesday and would meet with the players. But when asked whether the school would have a formal press conference then, a UNC official said no.
So, no attempt to bring more attention to your new women's basketball coach -- we'll say it again: the first in more than three decades -- and very publicly note her arrival? Where was the on-campus announcement with fellow Tar Heels head coaches, returning players (not everybody is transferring), school officials, boosters, cheerleaders, Rameses the mascot, some Carolina blue and white balloons, and all the local TV stations' cameras? The school said Banghart might meet with some local media Wednesday and likely would have a gathering for fans/boosters in "the near future." Well, OK.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
First off, it's the off-season, so there isn't going to be as much WCBB content (there's a new lead story that Voepel wrote on the top seniors to watch for next season).

Second, I think you missed the main pt of her article, which is that the entire process showed UNC is not taking WCBB seriously, based on two main points:
1. Was Banghart, who has spent her entire coaching career in the Ivy Leagues, the best they could get?
Voepel: So the North Carolina job -- which should have been highly coveted -- went to someone who throughout 19 years as a player, assistant and head coach in the Ivy League has won once in an NCAA tournament game.
To be fair, mid-major and small-conference teams consistently get lower seeds, so it's harder to make a mark in the NCAA tournament. Let's look at the regular season: In Banghart's time at Princeton, the Tigers had 11 wins against seven major-conference programs: Rutgers, Michigan, Pittsburgh, Wake Forest, Alabama, Southern Cal and Villanova (when it was in the old Big East, still considered a major conference).
Now, she'll be in a conference regularly going against the likes of two-time national champion Notre Dame, Louisville, Syracuse, Florida State, Miami, etc., along with, of course, local rivals NC State and Duke. How quickly can she adjust?
This isn't meant to cast aspersions on Banghart or the Ivy League. She might continue to thrive now that she's in a power conference recruiting more elite players. But it is meant to question whether North Carolina actually swung for the fences with this hire.
Talent will be a major factor, and Banghart will be recruiting a different caliber of player at North Carolina. (By the way, this past weekend was a major one on the recruiting calendar, but Banghart had not been given the UNC job yet.) The Ivy League doesn't have athletic scholarships, although it has academic and need-based aid. Banghart has had some very good Princeton teams, but she now enters into the full-time shark tank with all the other contenders for top talent.

2. If UNC thinks this is an awesome hire, why not actually role her out like it is, instead of doing an awkward press call?
Banghart did her introduction to the media by teleconference Tuesday while she was still in New Jersey. She said she planned to be in Chapel Hill on Wednesday and would meet with the players. But when asked whether the school would have a formal press conference then, a UNC official said no.
So, no attempt to bring more attention to your new women's basketball coach -- we'll say it again: the first in more than three decades -- and very publicly note her arrival? Where was the on-campus announcement with fellow Tar Heels head coaches, returning players (not everybody is transferring), school officials, boosters, cheerleaders, Rameses the mascot, some Carolina blue and white balloons, and all the local TV stations' cameras? The school said Banghart might meet with some local media Wednesday and likely would have a gathering for fans/boosters in "the near future." Well, OK.

How'd I miss it? It's a total bash of Banghart and those who hired her. To what end? Make a friend of Voepel's feel better about not getting a call.

Again, I ask, what did that article do to advance anything. Maybe she should have praised UNC for bringing in someone who might bring some integrity to a program that rolled in the academic mud for two decades?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Speaking as a Men's Basketball and Football fan (as well as an alum and being an all around supporter of all things, UConn): This is what disappoints you about ESPN?!?!?!

Reaction Score

Interestingly, question #1 could apply directly to the coaching hire at Tennessee.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Speaking as a Men's Basketball and Football fan (as well as an alum and being an all around supporter of all things, UConn): This is what disappoints you about ESPN?!?!?!

Rich target to be sure, but it feels like a new low for ESPN. A gratuitous swipe at a new hire and ignoring Hatchell's two decades of skullduggery.

Reaction Score
ESPN should start covering "sports" and not scandals, fashion, etc.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
ESPN should start covering "sports" and not scandals, fashion, etc.
Well, the "E" in ESPN does stand for Entertainment so I guess that includes a very wide spectrum of "stuff"...

Reaction Score
I completely agree the Voeple denigrated the hiring of Coach Banghart and that was completely uncalled for. Voeple did not qualify this criticism with any facts or logic..

Agree.
The title of the article alone sure made it seem like a hit job to me.
Consider that all that negativism was not backed up by facts or logic is sad.
Very un-Voepel-like in my opinion.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Why is Notre Dame photo's still displayed on the Women's Basketball ESPN website when they didn't even win the NC

They previously used one frontpage for both the WNBA and college - espn.com/womens-basketball

It seems they now have one for college - espn.com/womens-college-basketball
and one for WNBA - espn.com/wnba

But for some reason they still haven't completely axed the old one. So there is just really out of date content up there.

Oh, and ESPN is biased towards Notre Dame, of course ;)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I've been fairly consistent about how ESPN's position as a programmer affects it's journalistic "perspective"; most notably in regards to the SEC (network, which they own). The irony of Voepel's blasting UNC's administration is that with the unveiling of ESPN's ACC Network come late August, we'll see if a similar aura/focus shifts to that conference; including North Carolina. Sorry, I'm a child of the late 60's/early 70's: "Follow the money" is embedded....

As for Banghart, she's been interviewing for top jobs since that breakout season in 14 and/or 15. Started as a head coach in her 20s! I think the hire is a good one and have no doubt she'll run with it.

BTW, any news on Princeton...besides the sublime Bella Alarie, she's left a solid number of players there for her replacement.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The other thing that exposes the article as a hit piece is that while she had a lot bad to say about the Ivy League she apparently thinks that the Colonial Conference and the Southern Conference have been filled with ranked teams and top level competition. Why wasn't Michele's buddy Charlotte Smith held up to the same standards? Banghart has won the Naismith COY award. Charlotte Smith's claim to fame according to Michele is hitting a shot in a big game as a player.

To me it looks like Michele had a big bug up her kiester over the whole UNC scandal and Banghart got caught up in her temper tantrum. Michele should ask Smith how she missed the homophobia and all the rest when she was an assistant at UNC? Either she knew and said nothing, or else she was oblivious to it all, either of which doesn't say much for her character.

Reaction Score
How'd I miss it? It's a total bash of Banghart and those who hired her. To what end? Make a friend of Voepel's feel better about not getting a call.

Again, I ask, what did that article do to advance anything. Maybe she should have praised UNC for bringing in someone who might bring some integrity to a program that rolled in the academic mud for two decades?
IMO, personally to me, I believe UNC did not roll out the red carpet and to the proper intro for the new coach for fear of the exit situation of Hatchell would overwhelm the photo, intro op. It may have been a protective and proper method to use for the school and new coach. There will be more opportunities as she begins recruiting and winning. Sometimes the bus isn't actually running over anyone.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Already covered on the other board.
Voepel questions UNC/Banghart

Folks complained that there was "too much" non-UConn material on this board, so they made the other one. And then folks keep creating non-UConn threads on this board EVEN AFTER they've already been started over there.

It's confusing.

Nah, it's the off season Nan gave permission for OTs to wander. Besides can you ever have too much ESPN bashing? That's like too much Lady Vol bashing. Can't happen. :p

Reaction Score
Already covered on the other board.
Voepel questions UNC/Banghart

Folks complained that there was "too much" non-UConn material on this board, so they made the other one. And then folks keep creating non-UConn threads on this board EVEN AFTER they've already been started over there.

It's confusing.
The idea was well taken. Supposedly the "other site" is for everything not Uconn . Again SOME complained. I didn't but my preference is Uconn is the DRAW for me, if I want Ms St, ND, Louiville , UNC, I'd go to their sites., others in the other site.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
IMO, personally to me, I believe UNC did not roll out the red carpet and to the proper intro for the new coach for fear of the exit situation of Hatchell would overwhelm the photo, intro op. It may have been a protective and proper method to use for the school and new coach. There will be more opportunities as she begins recruiting and winning. Sometimes the bus isn't actually running over anyone.

Interesting point @BroadwayVa .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom