Versatility/Flexibility for 2020 Roster | The Boneyard

Versatility/Flexibility for 2020 Roster

Reaction Score
With The AS announcement..Really like our versatility on the roster..DH/staff can go a lot of different ways based on game situations/fouls/match up strategies.. Adding a Martin waiver would complete the picture for maximum flexibility.. One of the deeper teams we've had in years.. Should have a lot of player development in practice because of comp for PT.. Great change for this Program.. Got to get 2021 recruits excited about minutes available after 2020 season..Trusting DH..

Reaction Score
Way, way to early to really analyze the roster. Will Martin get his waiver? Polley will almost certainly be healthy by fall, but will he mentally be ready to play or will it take time? And how much will Akok be able to give them? (As I have said, I will be surprised if he plays next year and if I were his parents I'd make sure he takes this incredibly slowly and cautiously.)

If both Martin and Polley are ready to go, even if Akok isn't I could see Javonte Brown Ferguson being redshirted. But I can't even begin to guess how much of next year will be played with 2 bigs and how much with 1 big at this point.

But this has the potential to be as deep a UConn roster as I can remember.

Reaction Score
Way, way to early to really analyze the roster. Will Martin get his waiver? Polley will almost certainly be healthy by fall, but will he mentally be ready to play or will it take time? And how much will Akok be able to give them? (As I have said, I will be surprised if he plays next year and if I were his parents I'd make sure he takes this incredibly slowly and cautiously.)

If both Martin and Polley are ready to go, even if Akok isn't I could see Javonte Brown Ferguson being redshirted. But I can't even begin to guess how much of next year will be played with 2 bigs and how much with 1 big at this point.

Not looking for roster analysis in May.. Just commenting on the positive roster construction that DH/staff have accomplished with the AS announcement.. I'm sure Javonte Brown Ferguson redshirting will be discussed at some point.. He will really benefit from intense practice competition vs AS/RS/JC/IW irrespective of his 2020 roster status.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The reports are saying Martin did get his waiver though.

Reaction Score
I love, love, love the upgrade of depth and talent throughout the roster.

Not to be a negative Nancy, but given how we were at our best last year playing 3 and even 4 guards, the only small negative is that we only truly have 4 true guards on the roster. Now, no problem playing 4 and 1 with 3 guards and a perimeter forward (Martin, Jackson or Polley), but not having a 5th guard limits the amount of time you can play 3 guards with Bouk guarding a small forward. So the roster is ideally flexible to get a lot of height on the floor, but not so much in going small.

But the first paragraph is more important than the second, even if it's shorter.

Reaction Score
I love, love, love the upgrade of depth and talent throughout the roster.

Not to be a negative Nancy, but given how we were at our best last year playing 3 and even 4 guards, the only small negative is that we only truly have 4 true guards on the roster. Now, no problem playing 4 and 1 with 3 guards and a perimeter forward (Martin, Jackson or Polley), but not having a 5th guard limits the amount of time you can play 3 guards with Bouk guarding a small forward. So the roster is ideally flexible to get a lot of height on the floor, but not so much in going small.

But the first paragraph is more important than the second, even if it's shorter.
Keep in mind that AJ was a PG prior to his growth spurt in HS..Models some of his game (per his coach/him) after Pistol Pete.. And is projected (at this early time) as a PG at the next level..NBA.. So someone thinks he can handle the ball when needed..Has unusual passing skills for someone his height..

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that AJ was a PG prior to his growth spurt in HS..Models some of his game (per his coach/him) after Pistol Pete.. And is projected (at this early time) as a PG at the next level..NBA.. So someone thinks he can handle the ball when needed..Has unusual passing skills for someone his height..

If he can truly play the 2 at his size as a true frosh, great, and my problem would be solved. I'm very high on him, but I'm not going to be that optimistic until I see it.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I think we’re ultimately going to give a medical redshirt to Akok. Javonte Brown Ferguson will get reserve minutes off the bench.

Reaction Score
If he can truly play the 2 at his size as a true frosh, great, and my problem would be solved. I'm very high on him, but I'm not going to be that optimistic until I see it.
I don't see him playing the 2 for the Huskies.. See him and Martin as tall CGs who have to play SF in college.. In a jam..Foul trouble,etc. He can/could do it.. I'm talking about his floor game..Not his air/jumping game.. Obviously plays above the rim whenever he can..

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't see him playing the 2 for the Huskies.. See him and Martin as tall CGs who have to play SF in college.. In a jam..Foul trouble,etc. He can/could do it.. I'm talking about his floor game..Not his air/jumping game.. Obviously plays above the rim whenever he can..

He's clearly a 3 for us. But a 3 who can handle the ball and pass. He's a point forward. Likely a big PG in the NBA. I'm not worried about ball handling. Especially if Martin gets his waiver as was reported.

We now have a lot of interchangeable parts. Incredible depth and the ability to play big or small or everything in between.

Reaction Score
He's clearly a 3 for us. But a 3 who can handle the ball and pass. He's a point forward. Likely a big PG in the NBA. I'm not worried about ball handling. Especially if Martin gets his waiver as was reported.

We now have a lot of interchangeable parts. Incredible depth and the ability to play big or small or everything in between.
It would be cool to play with this 2020 roster like the old JC BE teams..full court pressing/fast breaking and wreaking havoc on the defensive side of the ball.. This team will not have trouble scoring points..Can they stop people?? They have the physical talent..Might be DH's "carrot" for PT..Gotta play D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom