upload_2015-11-16_8-46-11.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 42
  • upload_2015-11-16_8-46-11.png
    upload_2015-11-16_8-46-11.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 40

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Newman pours in 47 her next game to become the youngest to 1,000 points. People will notice the lack of competition in the video, but there's no doubt the girl has serious ball-handling and shooting skills.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
She definitely has range on her shot. I hope she eventually is big enough to where she doesn't have to push the ball she she shoots and has a classic shooting motion, like Maya and DT.

Reactions: HGN

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Yup. We have had our eye on young Jaden for quite a while now. She wants to be a Husky and we want her to get her wish.

HGN

Reaction Score
MoJet to Danger to Mo'ne to Jaden. Quadruple play!
I like it...........Hopefully Mo'ne and Jaden keep their strong interest and UConn makes it happen.

HGN

Reaction Score
She definitely has range on her shot. I hope she eventually is big enough to where she doesn't have to push the ball she she shoots and has a classic shooting motion, like Maya and DT.
ETT , I watched the clips of the posts here , I doubt she changes her shooting motion. She has developed it and it seems to be working..........Very well. I think that 'push the ball' shooting motion is here to stay whether she grows or not. And speaking of growing , she is in the 6th grade now , maybe 13 years old , looking at her size now she may grow to be 5'7--5'9. But dynamite (MoJet ; Danger) comes in small packages.

Reaction Score
OTOH, I am the about same height now that I was in the sixth grade. Maybe grew 1/2 inch! (5'3" on a tall day) So we don't all get that adolescent growth spurt!

Reaction Score
Just watched her video for the first time. Her shooting stroke is not that bad. She just uses too much forward push, but for a 11 year old that is not unusual. At least she has an outside shot. Most players her age who compete against lesser talents rely on dribble drive ( like Mo'ne) to score and never develop that outside shot. It works at the level they compete against but if they end up being short guards with no outside shot they are dead in the water at the next level. Once they get to the next level the odds of them developing an outside shot is radically diminished. True no one seemed to be playing defense and she had all sorts of room on those shots, but she can still hit from good distance. When she gets older and stronger that forward push could easily translate to upward elevation as she shoots. This girl, while still young ( and you never really know how much of an upside they have left) does appear to be on the right track in respect to developing her game. Mo'ne isn't even in the same catagory with this girl. Newman does have a good chance to end up playing for a top D1 team. Even if it is just as a shooter. Teams are always looking for shooters.

Reaction Score
Remember: if she ever visits Gampel, don't hand her any signs!! :)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
All the best to Jaden Newman. She appears to be an extraordinary young talent. If she's this good now, one can only assume that she will be an exceptional shooter when she's ready to enter college. Hopefully, someone will invest in her, and coach her to become a complete player on both ends of the court by then.

If she's scoring 47 points, this means she's taking a lot of shots. Query: are the others girls on her team involved in the team's offense, or are they just watching her take all of the shots? If so, how is this helping them develop and get better?

If she wants to matriculate to UConn after high school, all the better. If she does come to Storrs, I'll root and cheer for her like she's the second coming of Diana Taurasi. The fact that we have more pressing needs NOW, does not allow me to get excited over a 6th grader, no matter how good she is, or how many points she scores.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to down play her accomplishments. Although I submit that the competition she plays against is somewhat suspect. In the videos, the opposition appears to just stand there and watch her shoot. It appeared that Little or no defense was being offered. My point is let's keep this in its proper perspective.

With that being said, I acknowledge the fact that she is a very prolific shooter. She has acquired a skill that I don't think will diminish in the near future. She may even be a young female version of Stephen Curry, and just might follow in his footsteps.

She's 7 years away from entering college. Some of US won't be here 7 years from now. So, pardon me if I don't bite on the hype, and concentrate on the present. Let's give her time to grow, develop and mature a little more before we strap on our bibs, and begin to salivate over her. I'm sure her name and exploits will surface from time to time. I will continue to root for her, and wish her all the best.

I'm more interested in UConn securing a TALL (potential All-American) post player for next season that can back up Natalie Butler (or that Butler can back up). I know I'll get some push-back on this take, and that's OK, I'm expecting it.
I know there are many who will not like or agree with this take. I'm out in left field today. These are my thoughts, and I thought I'd share.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, if she does land up playing for UCONN in 7 years the first thing to change will be that number on her jersey. She looks like she really enjoys the game!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Jaden's now in 7th grade. If you're wondering how she's doing, she recently had a 44-point game that included 13 threes.

She's in the class of 2022.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Jaden's now in 7th grade. If you're wondering how she's doing, she recently had a 44-point game that included 13 threes.

She's in the class of 2022.
But what is her height?!! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
God I hope college coaches aren't actively recruiting a 6th grader. Also, the competition must be extremely weak if a 6th grader can make a varsity Bball team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
God I hope college coaches aren't actively recruiting a 6th grader. Also, the competition must be extremely weak if a 6th grader can make a varsity Bball team.
Louisville offered her in Pre-K, everyone else is just trying to catch up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom