Various Walz tweets from John A. | The Boneyard

Various Walz tweets from John A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
John Altavilla ‏@jaltavilla 2h
Jeff @CoachJeffWalz Walz, coach of @UofLWBB says Bria Smith will miss Sunday's game against No. 1 #UConnwomen

[URL='https://twitter.com/jaltavilla']John Altavilla ‏@jaltavilla 2h
Walz says next season not likely after @UofLWBB leaves for @accwbb But things looks good for 2 to 4 year series beginning in 2015-2016

Walz on Bria Smith: "She just has some knee issues we are trying to take care of. It started bothering her middle of last week." #UConnwomen

John Altavilla ‏@jaltavilla 1h
The @UofLWBB will also be without Shawnta Dyer, a 6-1 forward against #UConnwomen She has been out since mid-January with a stress fracture

High praise: @UofLWBB coach Jeff Walz compares #UConnwomen G Saniya Chong to former UConn G Mel Thomas.

John Altavilla ‏@jaltavilla 1h
@UofLWBB coach Jeff @CoachJeffWalz Walz on @genoauriemma approaching his 1000th career game: "Man, he's old." #UConnwomen

[/URL]

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Wow, comparing Chong's style of play to Mel Thomas's. That's quite a tribute to a player who is seen by some to have been playing like "a deer in the headlights all season." Think I'll trust Jeff on that rather the BY posters since he's the one having to prepare for the second coming of Mel.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Sad to see that Bria Smith will miss the game. I like her play and demeanor on the court. This will impact Louisville in a negative way.

But, good that they are playing it safe with Bria's knee. They will need her for the tournaments.

Reaction Score
Wow, comparing Chong's style of play to Mel Thomas's. That's quite a tribute to a player who is seen by some to have been playing like "a deer in the headlights all season." Think I'll trust Jeff on that rather the BY posters since he's the one having to prepare for the second coming of Mel.

It’s not a criticism of Ms Chong that's being discussed in the forums. There's no doubt she's incredibly talented and will be a force of nature as she matures. It's a discussion of the maturation process under Geno's tutelage that can be/is so incredibly challenging. Yes she has been seen to be less than she can be, but definitely no disrespect intended. Jeff Walz sees her for what she is and can be. As a coach he certainly can see talent, and Soniya has it in generous amounts. There's little doubt she can be another UConn/WCBB legend this year and in coming years. UConn fans are just a little impatient knowing what we will see when she "breaks out."

Reaction Score
I don't know if I would compare Chong to Mel Thomas; for one thing there is a major difference in speed. Mel was a great shooter, but she wasn't exactly the fastest player in the world.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't know if I would compare Chong to Mel Thomas; for one thing there is a major difference in speed. Mel was a great shooter, but she wasn't exactly the fastest player in the world.
Kind of why Chong I decided Chong is a cornerback if Mel was our linebacker. It would interesting to hear Jeff's reasons for comparing the two.

Last edited:

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
It's not at all surprising that Walz likes Saniya's game, as Louisville was one of the schools that was recruiting her before she selected UConn. He liked her then, and he likes her now. #consistency

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Yes she has been seen to be less than she can be, but definitely no disrespect intended.
Absolutely right. There can never be any disrespect intended in comments about a freshmen like, "she's been playing like a deer in the headlights all season." What player could possibly feel at all hurt if she read a statement like that about herself? Why, I'm sure the poster is a big Bambi fan and he likes the way she plays, right? Gimme a break.

It's good a lot of these posters weren't around to slam Kelly Faris in her freshman year on a great team when she only averaged 4.1 points, so she clearly must have been way underperforming because Chong the freshman is belittled for averaging 5.9 points on a team with 5 starters who have all shown themselves capable of scoring anywhere from 17 to 37 points and don't necessarily leave a lot of room for a freshman to go on a shooting spree. Exchanging Kelly's higher rebound totals for Saniya's higher point totals, you have two freshman years are that very very similar statistically, but thankfully back in 2010 the posters had almost universal acclaim for the freshman Faris's huge contributions to an NC team.

And that a freshman still has a lot to learn and is not yet what she will be in the future after a few years of training at UConn is something startling and new and needs a lot of comments? Wow, I thought all UConn recruits came to UConn as fully-formed NPOY candidates. Maybe UConn should just recruit players named Maya Moore.

Reaction Score
Kind of why Chong I decided Chong is a cornerback if Mel was our linebacker. It would interesting to hear Jeff's reasons for comparing the two.

I don't think the comparison needs to be over thought. What has the defining charateristic of Chong's play to this point in college? That she is a really good spot up 3-point shooter and doesn't turn the ball over. While the potential may be there to be more and a different player at this point they probably do look fairly similar to a coach scouting for a game.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't think the comparison needs to be over thought. What has the defining charateristic of Chong's play to this point in college? That she is a really good spot up 3-point shooter and doesn't turn the ball over. While the potential may be there to be more and a different player at this point they probably do look fairly similar to a coach scouting for a game.
Scotter, I very much agree. I wasn't offering any kind of deep assessment. I am curious as to Jeff's choosing that player comparison of all those available. I do agree with the two things of comparison, Saniya's 3 point shooting and her passing and protection of the ball. I'd just like to know Jeff's thoughts.

Reaction Score
Absolutely right. There can never be any disrespect intended in comments about a freshmen like, "she's been playing like a deer in the headlights all season." What player could possibly feel at all hurt if she read a statement like that about herself? Why, I'm sure the poster is a big Bambi fan and he likes the way she plays, right? Gimme a break.

It's good a lot of these posters weren't around to slam Kelly Faris in her freshman year on a great team when she only averaged 4.1 points, so she clearly must have been way underperforming because Chong the freshman is belittled for averaging 5.9 points on a team with 5 starters who have all shown themselves capable of scoring anywhere from 17 to 37 points and don't necessarily leave a lot of room for a freshman to go on a shooting spree. Exchanging Kelly's higher rebound totals for Saniya's higher point totals, you have two freshman years are that very very similar statistically, but thankfully back in 2010 the posters had almost universal acclaim for the freshman Faris's huge contributions to an NC team.

And that a freshman still has a lot to learn and is not yet what she will be in the future after a few years of training at UConn is something startling and new and needs a lot of comments? Wow, I thought all UConn recruits came to UConn as fully-formed NPOY candidates. Maybe UConn should just recruit players named Maya Moore.

Total misread. I grew up eating bambi for dinner. Just another apex predator that has compassion for the ladies on my favorite team. Pushing your luck, eh? Very trollish of you my dear friend.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Total misread. I grew up eating bambi for dinner. Just another apex predator that has compassion for the ladies on my favorite team. Pushing your luck, eh? Very trollish of you my dear friend.
Not that much of a deer friend considering how they chew up my rhodos, but again, some UConn fans are enjoying the contributions Chong is making to her team as a freshman, and some are so impatient for her to be a megastar that they are sorrowfully posting up "deer in the headlights" comments. I'll stick with the celebrators, but if you're so keyed up for Saniya that you decide you need to join the "headlights" crowd, I will understand.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not that much of a deer friend considering how they chew up my rhodos, but again, some UConn fans are enjoying the contributions Chong is making to her team as a freshman, and some are so impatient for her to be a megastar that they are sorrowfully posting up "deer in the headlights" comments. I'll stick with the celebrators, but if you're so keyed up for Saniya that you decide you need to join the "headlights" crowd, I will understand.

Edgy

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
Dear and deer friends? Are you two having an affair right in front of us?

Reaction Score
Dear and deer friends? Are you two having an affair right in front of us?

Dang, looks like it. But as they say "you don't pick your friends, they pick you." Sometimes it kinda makes you want to back up a couple posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom