Vandy WBB Job Just Came Open | The Boneyard

Vandy WBB Job Just Came Open

Reaction Score
Vandy just decided to relieve Stephanie White of her Head Coach duties. White was a former NCAA WBB champion at Purdue and WNBA Head Coach @ Indiana. Interesting note in that Candace Lee is the new AD at Vanderbilt. In this moment when its been highlighted that more Black Women should at least get an interview for a P5 head job;it will be interesting to see if their AD takes the route of considering an African American Woman for this job. There are a bunch of qualified HBCU coaches and P5 assistant coaches that should be considered.

Reaction Score
Never like seeing a coach lose a job, especially at some programs like Vanderbilt. But at the same time, it is the nature of the business. I would love to see an African American get hired. Great point about some of the HBCU coaches and P5 assistant coaches out there, who are more than qualified for a lot of these coaching positions but for whatever reason, they get overlooked, especially if they are applying for these positions.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
In this moment when its been highlighted that more Black Women should at least get an interview for a P5 head job;it will be interesting to see if their AD takes the route of considering an African American Woman for this job.
You don't think there are deserving Black female head coaching candidates? Of course "an African American Woman will be considered."

Weird post, IMO.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The Vandy job has been discussed for many seasons on this board and in good detail on Vowelguy's Coaching Thread.

I know there is a new AD, Candace Lee, who is black and a former basketball players. However, it's not as if Vandy has not had black women on the coaching staff (most visible was Carolyn Peck on White's staff).
And during the last coaching search that ultimateply produced Steph White, the two other finalists included Niele Ivey, then the assc. head coach at Notre Dame and now its head coach.

So, that concept has already been put into practice and sailed. If you look at the suggestions floated on the other thread, you'll see black women, white women and guys, etc....just as one would hope to see.
Vandy's job is to hire the best candidate (for what they perceive to need...).

Reaction Score
You don't think there are deserving Black female head coaching candidates? Of course "an African American Woman will be considered."

Weird post, IMO.
Well..NCAA has 357 member schools . If you subtract the HBCU's....the big conferences have no more than a total 12 Black Female WBB coaches. 7 are in the SEC

Reaction Score
The Vandy job has been discussed for many seasons on this board and in good detail on Vowelguy's Coaching Thread.

I know there is a new AD, Candace Lee, who is black and a former basketball players. However, it's not as if Vandy has not had black women on the coaching staff (most visible was Carolyn Peck on White's staff).
And during the last coaching search that ultimately produced Steph White, the two other finalists included Niele Ivey, then the assc. head coach at Notre Dame and now its head coach.

So, that concept has already been put into practice and sailed. If you look at the suggestions floated on the other thread, you'll see black women, white women and guys, etc....just as one would hope to see.
Vandy's job is to hire the best candidate (for what they perceive to need...).
65 P5 Schools with [21% or 24% if the two black male coaches are included] 14 Black WBB coaches. Doesn't have anything to do with race but that's an awfully low number. 16 coaches would be a third...its free market but that number suggests intentional lack of opportunity

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Well..NCAA has 357 member schools . If you subtract the HBCU's....the big conferences have no more than a total 12 Black Female WBB coaches. 7 are in the SEC
How many black female assistant coaches?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
65 P5 Schools with [7%] 9 Black WBB coaches. Doesn't have anything to do with race but that's an awfully low number. 16 coaches would be a third...its free market but that number suggests intentional lack of opportunity
Way too low; shamefully low. As far as this thread, I thought Stephanie White deserved another year.

Reaction Score
Way too low; shamefully low. As far as this thread, I thought Stephanie White deserved another year.
Did she really to be honest? I mean what was there to look forward to when her entire roster bolted almost, especially her top players (Love and Hall). I never saw a well coached Vanderbilt team under white. She recruited some good players actually, the product on the court was not good at all. They were gonna be next to Auburn for worst in the league this year before quitting on the season.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Just curious: what would be the basis for waiting it out another year? Her results in five years were uniformly dismal, save for a brief moment of optimism early in the 2019-20 season. She was clearly set to lose far more (via transfer portal, mainly) than she was about to gain for next season.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
65 P5 Schools with [7%] 9 Black WBB coaches. Doesn't have anything to do with race but that's an awfully low number. 16 coaches would be a third...its free market but that number suggests intentional lack of opportunity

Sorry, I can't let math errors go. 9 is 14% of 65; a third would be 22.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Just curious: what would be the basis for waiting it out another year? Her results in five years were uniformly dismal, save for a brief moment of optimism early in the 2019-20 season. She was clearly set to lose far more (via transfer portal, mainly) than she was about to gain for next season.
I thought she had only been there 4 years.

Reaction Score
I thought she had only been there 4 years.
Well, they closed up shop this season, which was her fifth. She was hired in 2016, so she was on the clock for 16-17, 17-18, 18-19, 19-20, and 20-21. Five seasons. With precious little to show.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Mother of one of the Vandy players. Yikes

Reaction Score
Mother of one of the Vandy players. Yikes

5aed4f0f6b31a35106d9fe0b85aeb578.gif

Reaction Score
65 P5 Schools with [21% or 24% if the two black male coaches are included] 14 Black WBB coaches. Doesn't have anything to do with race but that's an awfully low number. 16 coaches would be a third...its free market but that number suggests intentional lack of opportunity

Way too low; shamefully low.

what would you consider not low?

Reaction Score
I don’t know how true this is. I heard before they fired White that the AD got feedback from the players before making a decision to move on.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

Kaleigh Clemons-Green​

Thanks. Wonder what Mom's exact problem is / was? That would scare me if I was considering White for a job down the road; that said, I can't imagine her being in line for any head coach openings.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I don’t know how true this is. I heard before they fired White that the AD got feedback from the players before making a decision to move on.
Certainly could be true. Seems to me the proof of the pudding is in the walking. Vandy lost an incredible number of transfers in recent years, including some in Balcomb's last two years.

Reaction Score
For whatever reason White was a disaster at Vandy and that Tweet from an angry mother clearly shows she and/or her daughter had issues.

Vandy was always one of the best teams in the SEC until the tail end of Balcombs career and then White was a failure. The program has a ways to climb back up to be mediocre but I have a feeling the AD will be even more involved than normal since she's a former member of the program.

Truly Vandy should be better in football and men's and women's basketball. Their academic standards are crazy high and the toughest in the SEC by far. That being said Nashville is a wonderful, thriving city and the university is beautiful. Academics hasn't hurt Stanford in building one of the best programs. I do think it takes a certain personality to build that but it will also take patience.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom