OT: - Vacuum sealing steaks | The Boneyard

OT: Vacuum sealing steaks

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I split a share of a cow and I'm picking up the meat today. My share is about 20 steaks.

Should I marinate them before vacuum sealing? Season (salt and pepper)? Freeze before vacuum sealing?

I'll be storing them in a sub zero freezer.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I split a share of a cow and I'm picking up the meat today. My share is about 20 steaks.

Should I marinate them before vacuum sealing? Season (salt and pepper)? Freeze before vacuum sealing?

I'll be storing them in a sub zero freezer.
Good question. When I buy in bulk I vacuum seal right away and freeze. A couple of times I marinated, I defrost, then marinate and seal over night. I will have to ask my son. He is an executive chief in Savannah. Although I am sure he will say they don't have time to freeze or will not.

Reaction Score
Seal and freeze. When I was in the restaurant biz, all of our steaks would come in cryovac packaging and would occasionally have to get put in the freezer if someone bought too much product. With as many steaks as you have, you could marinate some before sealing and keep the rest plain.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
I would be cautious of salting since it pulls moisture - not sure how that would react in a vacuum seal and\or freezing. Probably fine but...

Reaction Score
if you marinate before vac and seal, wouldn't the vac just suck out the marinade before sealing? Or does all the air get removed before that can happen?

Reaction Score
Go with Omaha next time. They do it all for you! ;)

13387785_NFeEqJ9Bctn668gfDDIkRZsQnHBFGE_Vh6nduMKRYb4.jpg

temery

What?
Reaction Score
if you marinate before vac and seal, wouldn't the vac just suck out the marinade before sealing? Or does all the air get removed before that can happen?

I've decided not to marinate before freezing. But the vacuum sealer has a wet feature. My guess is this is for soups, marinades, etc.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Seal and freeze. When I was in the restaurant biz, all of our steaks would come in cryovac packaging and would occasionally have to get put in the freezer if someone bought too much product. With as many steaks as you have, you could marinate some before sealing and keep the rest plain.

I'm worried a bit about the marinade causing ice crystal damage. The advice to freeze now, marinade later seems wise.

Reaction Score
My steaks were grass fed, birth to blade. Maybe a little milk at the start. It's a little weird knowing the animal I'm going to eat. I'll get over it.

It sounds incredible. Enjoy.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I’ll find the podcast but I could’ve sworn they said to cook them before preserving them

Reaction Score
I'm worried a bit about the marinade causing ice crystal damage. The advice to freeze now, marinade later seems wise.
Can’t go wrong with that. We had a bourbon marinated sirloin on the menu that would come marinated, cryovac’ed and frozen. It was one of the most popular items.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I've decided not to marinate before freezing. But the vacuum sealer has a wet feature. My guess is this is for soups, marinades, etc.
Yep. My wife vac seals soups, chili, sauces. Anytime we have too much.

But vac seal the steaks as is seems the right advice. Not sure I’d want whatever it is in with the meat all that time. Plus, it gives you flexibility later.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Yes. But freeze on its own.
I do the same by the way buy 1/4 and half cows and vacuum seal and freeze. And have a dedicated freezer . I just pulled out two vacuum sealed filets that were from last summer tgat were perfect after defrost .

Vacuum sealing with a marinade works incredibly well on non frozen meats. but a lot of your cuts you don’t want to marinade at all, and the ones you do want to marinate you can marinate after you thaw them , then re vacuum seal with the marinade after thawed a few hours ( or overnight) on day of cooking.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Just picked up the meat. Already vacuum sealed. Kind of anti climactic.

Got 25 steaks for $300. Ribeye, NY Strip, T-Bone, Porterhouse, and flat iron. Only complaint is the 1" cut. I like a much thicker steak.

Turns out the provider is a former student. No college. Started a tree service. Bought 50 acre orchard with fields (conservation restrictions - smart move). Bought some beef cows. Sells apples, vegetables, meat ... more successful than all his teachers.

He's living my childhood dream.

Today was a good day.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just picked up the meat. Already vacuum sealed. Kind of anti climactic.

Got 25 steaks for $300. Ribeye, NY Strip, T-Bone, Porterhouse, and flat iron. Only complaint is the 1" cut. I like a much thicker steak.

Turns out the provider is a former student. No college. Started a tree service. Bought 50 acre orchard with fields (conservation restrictions - smart move). Bought some beef cows. Sells apples, vegetables, meat ... more successful than all his teachers.

He's living my childhood dream.

Today was a good day.

That's awesome.

BTW, I'm now seeing steak advertisements. And I'm really getting hungry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
My steaks were grass fed, birth to blade. Maybe a little milk at the start. It's a little weird knowing the animal I'm going to eat. I'll get over it.
How well did you know it? Biblically?

Reaction Score
You have enough beef where I’d try this with a couple.

Dry age it in these bags for up to 45 days. Been meaning to try it myself but since you have half a cow, you can be the Guinea pig!

temery

What?
Reaction Score
If you vac seal, the bags are heavy and can be put right into a sous vide.

I've tried this, but nothing beats dropping a seasoned 1/2 frozen ribeye on a 500° grill for five min, flip, cook for four min, rest for a few min, then dig in.

Edit: I salt both side, pat dry after 1/2 hour. Pepper both sides, then grill. No science behind this method, but I get the steak I want.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
You could always test one. Marinate then vac seal. See what happens.

Reaction Score
I do the pre-marinade and freeze for chicken or pork. Sounds like you have some fine beef that needs nothing more than salt, pepper, and a hot grill or cast iron pan. Congrats!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom