Utah St Post Mortem and on to CCSU | The Boneyard

Utah St Post Mortem and on to CCSU

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Well, unless you were clutching pearls for a win, this was about as good as could be expected.

First off, congrats to the competent staff getting most of the players in to the right pair of cleats. Unlike last year where they looked like Huskies slipping and sliding on an ice rink most of the players were sure of foot. Obvious exception were Zion Turner and Aaron Turner who were slipping and sliding a bunch for no reason.

Second quarter was again the achilles heel. Happened a bunch last year and happened again today. O Coordinator has to figure out how to keep the first quarter momentum all the way to halftime.

We have a kicker. First field goal from 46 was okay. Second field goal from 50+ was a statement kick. Striped it down the middle. No, he won't get any more chance at 4700' but that foot is sure out to 50 yards even at the Rent. That is a big reassurance going forward.

This whole week's game plan has to be figuring out 8-10 pass plays Turner can execute. Did it hurt losing Marion in the middle of the game? Sure did. But they have to do something to keep the defense from just stuffing the run.

OLine was very good for most of the game. UConn website still lists Senn at 298 lbs. Sure. Lundt was good on the run plays but doesn't have the quickness on pass plays against edge rushers. That was a big problem today in the passing game.

Yes, the PI on Anthony was ridiculous and it's not hyperbole to say it sealed the game for Utah St. That was 3rd and 12 from the 43 and Utah St. would have punted. UConn was down 24-20 and would have had the ball with a chance fo the lead. You can't put the game in the hands of the refs though. Even though it was a horrible call.

Carter. Yep, he's good. But if UConn can't have a respectable passing game, that box is going to get full real quick.

Mitchell was a beast.

McCarthy got a lot of reps on the DLine.

Announcers mentioned it a few times. Shearin better learn to wrap up when he tackles rather than just lowering the shoulder.

On to CCSU. I expect a big win. I also hope Millen gets more reps. He certainly ran well on that one run to the right validating Mora's comment about him being the best runner of the QB group.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Would have loved to see the offense with the ball down 20-24 if not for that call. Or better yet, seeing USU try that last drive down 27-24. While we were competitive, we really didn't make them sweat past the first Q. Mora called Zion the presumptive starter, so I guess the other two weren't close on the depth chart, which itself is interesting.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Also, wanted to check the box score.

4 penalties for 35 yards.

Unless my brain is mush, zero false starts, illegal procedures and either zero or one hold all game. That was a disciplined offense and a disciplined defense. Again, looking for signs of competency from coaches coaching their units and players being receptive to the schemes. Low penalty counts and no dead ball fouls are good indicators of that.

Reaction Score
Would have loved to see the offense with the ball down 20-24 if not for that call. Or better yet, seeing USU try that last drive down 27-24. While we were competitive, we really didn't make them sweat past the first Q. Mora called Zion the presumptive starter, so I guess the other two weren't close on the depth chart, which itself is interesting.
Good catch on the Zion comment.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Hopefully CCSU will be a punching bag for the frustrations of this game.
It better be. It is so dangerous scheduling these games. I still cringe over UNH (New Haven, not New Hampshire) beating us at Memorial.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom