OT: - USWNT Soccer tonight 8PM ESPM2 | The Boneyard

OT: USWNT Soccer tonight 8PM ESPM2

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
US team is desperate. Lost to Australia. As I am typing, US gives up ball to Brazil in front of goal. Brazil up 1-0 1 minute in. :mad::mad:Head bangHead bang

Reaction Score
Jill Ellis has not been good for this team. I don't think she coached them to the World Cup as much as I think the team took it on their shoulders themselves. They did not look good in the World Cup either. Her vision to "remake" this team is not working.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Thanks for reminding me this was on! I turned it on juuuust before the goal to make it 3-2 :)

Reaction Score
Yes, thanks for the reminder. July and August are sports deadzones for me, so nice to have something to watch.

At 3-1 (on the verge of 2nd straight home loss), I thought this was an all-time low in USW soccer history.
Then an incredible comeback, led by a certain Husky's significant other.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Yes, thanks for the reminder. July and August are sports deadzones for me, so nice to have something to watch.

At 3-1 (on the verge of 2nd straight home loss), I thought this was an all-time low in USW soccer history.
Then an incredible comeback, led by a certain Husky's significant other.

Hate to admit it but at 3-1 down, I turned it off. Head bang Nice surprise. The Aussies beat Japan 4-2 so maybe our previous loss was not so bad?

Reaction Score
I am one of the biggest US WNT fans on the planet, as are my daughters. But I was really hoping they would lose tonight. A bad loss might've been enough to force a coaching change after the tournament. Jill Ellis, unfortunately, is an awful coach and the team's future is not very bright as long as she is at the helm. Too bad the US can't trade coaches with Australia. That would be a massive upgrade. The US for most of tonight's game had no cohesion, poor spacing, and rarely could connect a pass. Painful to watch.

Reaction Score
I am one of the biggest US WNT fans on the planet, as are my daughters. But I was really hoping they would lose tonight. A bad loss might've been enough to force a coaching change after the tournament. Jill Ellis, unfortunately, is an awful coach and the team's future is not very bright as long as she is at the helm. Too bad the US can't trade coaches with Australia. That would be a massive upgrade. The US for most of tonight's game had no cohesion, poor spacing, and rarely could connect a pass. Painful to watch.

The win was due to exceptional individual plays, not anything Ellis did. I would assume that anyone evaluating the coach would recognize that.

Reaction Score
The win was due to exceptional individual plays, not anything Ellis did. I would assume that anyone evaluating the coach would recognize that.

Hopefully. But it is easier to sit back and do nothing when the team wins - even if it is despite the coaching.

Reaction Score
Ellis is doing what Klinsmann did with the men's team, constantly tinkering with new players in new positions and trying different formations. That seems like a reasonable strategy this far in advance of the world cup, but if in the process the team starts to lose it's confidence and cohesion then maybe it's not such a good idea. I'd say it's time to settle on what you think is your best lineup and formation and start getting everybody comfortable in their roles.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ellis is doing what Klinsmann did with the men's team, constantly tinkering with new players in new positions and trying different formations. That seems like a reasonable strategy this far in advance of the world cup, but if in the process the team starts to lose it's confidence and cohesion then maybe it's not such a good idea. I'd say it's time to settle on what you think is your best lineup and formation and start getting everybody comfortable in their roles.
I believe she said she would be tinkering through this TON's tourney. Then start to work on building for 2019. This is the off year (after WC and Olympic years). If there is any time to experiment, this is the year.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I caught the game last night. Great comeback.

Julie Foudy said that a couple of the players (Alex Morgan and another) said something to the effect, "I'm fine with the tinkering, but we need to win one for US to get our confidence up."

Totally out of left field comment: I don't like it when players change their last names (or worse yet, hyphenate them) when they get married. Julie Ertz just doesn't fall of the tongue like Julie Johnston; to say nothing of Karima Christmas-Kelly or Skylar Diggins-Smith. I'm not saying they shouldn't, just that I'd prefer the continuity of the same name.

[Full disclosure: my wife didn't change hers (20+ years ago), nor did I encourage her to.]

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
[Full disclosure: my wife didn't change hers (20+ years ago), nor did I encourage her to.]

Well, yes. "Mrs. Bigboote" doesn't exactly roll of of the tongue now, does it? I can sympathize. My spouse gets pretty upset when someone calls her "Mrs. BigBird."

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Follow up. USWNT plays their last game of the TON tonight at 10:00 (EDST) vs Japan on ESPN2.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Well, yes. "Mrs. Bigboote" doesn't exactly roll of of the tongue now, does it? I can sympathize. My spouse gets pretty upset when someone calls her "Mrs. BigBird."

Yeah, it's bad enough that everyone pronounces it big-bootie, when it's really big-boo-tay.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom