OT: - USWNT Soccer game against France 2:30 PM FS1 | The Boneyard

OT: USWNT Soccer game against France 2:30 PM FS1

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
As pointed out by a BY'r (forget who), the USWNT go up against #3 France on their home soil. This will tell us alot about our team. :):)

Oh well. France shreds our defense with flank speed. 1-0 at 10' mark. :(

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hard to say with 4 starters out..... good playing time for others

Reaction Score
France will Be tough to knock out in World Cup playing before home crowd

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
US was starting to play better but Diani of France with her second goal at the 57' mark. World class play.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
France as always had great on-ball skills.

Reaction Score
As pointed out by a BY'r (forget who), the USWNT go up against #3 France on their home soil. This will tell us alot about our team. :):)

Oh well. France shreds our defense with flank speed. 1-0 at 10' mark. :(
I think the US was shoddy today. The former USWNT player/announcers, kept making excuses; not in condition; team hadn't played together in a month or two; missing stars; home game for France, too many escargots, etc.

The fact is; we had a lot of world class players on the pitch, and couldn't achieve or maintain possession. We had no attack at all, and rarely earned a corner. Mallory's goal in OT was nice work, though. But, up until that point, she had not had her usual brilliant game. Fox was a major liability at left back ( isn't she still in
college ?), but the experience will serve her development. Great to see Davidson back, who is a quality player at that spot. Using Dunn where they did was a bit of an experiment. It didn't yield much. We didn't use ( or have available ) many of our top players, that is true. Rosey LaVelle, for example, is one of our best. Not to mention Ertz, Rapino, Tobin Heath, and O'Hara. Nonetheless, the team's structure seemed way off kilter. At times, we just looked like we were kicking the ball around willy-nilly. Its was far too difficult getting the ball into the offensive end. Also, I am not certain we have a world class goal-keeper. She made some nice saves, but looked out of position for a couple of key moments. We have already seen a number of " better" ones on other teams.

This pasting will be like a cold shower for the US team, who may have grown over-confident due to recent 10 game winning streak. Many against less than "top 10" world class competition. And Jill will have many teaching moments. As a final thought; I hope Jill has the soccer smarts to know how to defeat the French styles. The French side seemed completely in control on offense and defense. And it was difficult to note a tactical response by the US.

On to Spain.

Reaction Score
Yes it was a poor showing from the US team. I expected and have seen much better from the non starters. We will be fine once Rapinoe, Ertz, Heath, O hara and Lavelle are healthy and return. We miss their creativity on breaking down defenses.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
A few observations:

I'm no fan of Alyssa Naeher, but she played really well today. I still wish she'd pick the ball up more.

First half other than Naeher, the only players who displayed a lot of desire were Horan and Press. Second half was more even, but still those two seemed to outwork the others. I know Morgan Brian is coming off some prolonged injury time, but she looked REALLY flat. The new kid at left back isn't ready for the WNT.

France is for real. That second goal by Diani was the prettiest shot I've seen in ages. Their defense was great, they really took Alex Morgan out of the game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Another crack at a strong team

Today, 2:30 PM USA vs Spain ESPN2.

"It doesn't get much easier for the U.S. when it travels to play Spain in Alicante on Tuesday.

The France game was always the centerpiece of the trip, the reason to start the year abroad. But the second game is far more than an afterthought. It's the first meeting between the two teams, and it comes with Spain making a rapid ascent in the women's game. Dominant at the youth level, winning last year's U-17 World Cup and finishing second in the U-20 World Cup, the senior team breezed through World Cup qualifying without a blemish.

Bouncing back from Saturday with a blowout against a nobody wouldn't show much. How the U.S. responds against a team looking to prove itself a World Cup contender will be telling."

Hope we have a better showing

Reaction Score
So how do you think the USWNT did?

It is hard to judge because Spain is not France. Spain is a national team on the rise, built on the tradition of the game in Spain and the success of their youth programs. And even though we threatened a lot, they were never un-nerved. Our goal came on an individual effort.

The announcers kept focusing on two things:

1. How beautifully Spain kept possessions. Often 12-14 passes. Crisply sent and efficiently received. Far superior to the US. So why is that? Are our standards for technical proficiency too low?

2. How the USWNT's international advantage has always been strength and conditioning. I wonder if this has become " an old wives tale?" What evidence is there that our players are faster, stronger or more fit than the players for France, Germany, England, Brazil,Mexico, Spain or anyone else? I submit there there is no evidence whatsoever, and it simply is not true. No longer, anyway.

It seems to me we have only an "opportunistic" offense. The parallel in NFL football is to rely on the" deep pass" rather than a balanced offense. To me it often seems a miracle when we score, rather than something you can see developing. I am a tough critic, I know, and want to see more from this team.

But I can say this; they are far from a " shoe-in" to become a World Cup champ this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom