USWNT Plays 2 Biggies | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USWNT Plays 2 Biggies

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I was pretty disappointed in their performance. I hope it was all because they haven’t been practicing together, and it may very well be. That was obvious in the passing — just not that crisp, and frequently waiting just a little too long to make passes to open players.

Not finishing around the goal is something I’ve come to expect. But they usually make up for that with the sheer number of chances. The defensive lapses were very worrisome, though.

That said, even a little rusty, their midfield play is just fantastic. Ertz is the best defensive midfielder in the world, and Horan just seems to be involved in every play wherever it’s happening. I hope Lavelle can stay healthy thru the Olympics. Looks like the Mewises are likely to fill out the midfield roster. My cats love them, sheer for them all the time, even when there hasn’t been a match in weeks.

Great midfield play can cover up a lot of warts.
Loved the cat pun!

Reaction Score
Well, Sweden scores in the 38' on a set piece flick. USA was beginning to have the run of play but does not look like the best team in the world.

Edit Would have been 2-0 Sweden just before half on a bad defensive play by Horan. Clear run to goal but Sweden are not elite finishers and goalie snuffed it out.

Am I reliving UConn - Az ?? :eek:
Strange that more was not made of Abby Dahlkemper's last minute scratch. Abby plays on the back right side where Kelley O'Hara was playing last night. She played the most minutes of any team member last season and is regarded by many (inc, me) as one of the best defensive backs in the world. Abby also has an amazing long ball, which she generally delivers right on target--a real offensive weapon.
You have to calculate Dahlkemper's absence when citing breakdowns on the back line. O'Hara could be and was beaten by the Swedes. Kelley isn't the player she was (age+injuries), and stalwart Becky Sauerbrunn is also nearing the end of her career.
Coach Valtko was experimenting last night; he didn't start all of his best players. France on Tuesday will be interesting, too.

Reaction Score
I wrote the original. BS, Becky Sauerbrunn, of course....my favorite player on the team.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Strange that more was not made of Abby Dahlkemper's last minute scratch. Abby plays on the back right side where Kelley O'Hara was playing last night. She played the most minutes of any team member last season and is regarded by many (inc, me) as one of the best defensive backs in the world. Abby also has an amazing long ball, which she generally delivers right on target--a real offensive weapon.
You have to calculate Dahlkemper's absence when citing breakdowns on the back line. O'Hara could be and was beaten by the Swedes. Kelley isn't the player she was (age+injuries), and stalwart Becky Sauerbrunn is also nearing the end of her career.
Coach Valtko was experimenting last night; he didn't start all of his best players. France on Tuesday will be interesting, too.
Ummm Dahlkemper doesn't normally play RB. I don't remember her ever playing there. She plays CB. Davidson was her replacement.

O'Hara is still probably the best RB we have. Although they have been trying to convert Purce to RB for the NT.

Reaction Score
Ummm Dahlkemper doesn't normally play RB. I don't remember her ever playing there. She plays CB. Davidson was her replacement.

O'Hara is still probably the best RB we have. Although they have been trying to convert Purce to RB for the NT.
You're correct that Abby is designated as the CB. If memory holds (and it frequently abandons me at critical moments like these), Dahl is right footed and has played mostly on the right side at the back. O'Hara also plays on the right side, but advances into the offense; Abby stays back for the most part, distributing with long balls.
Designations have changed since I played soccer in the 60's. I was, for example, a "right wing"; right side defenders were "fullbacks." We're talking leather helmet days.
Anyway, my point was that a key defender was absent vs the Swedes. Didn't help.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You're correct that Abby is designated as the CB. If memory holds (and it frequently abandons me at critical moments like these), Dahl is right footed and has played mostly on the right side at the back. O'Hara also plays on the right side, but advances into the offense; Abby stays back for the most part, distributing with long balls.
Designations have changed since I played soccer in the 60's. I was, for example, a "right wing"; right side defenders were "fullbacks." We're talking leather helmet days.
Anyway, my point was that a key defender was absent vs the Swedes. Didn't help.
True. Dahlkemper usually plays RCB with Sauerbrunn as LCB. When Davidson comes in (she's predominately left footed - can back up Dunn at LB), Sauerbrunn moves over to RCB while Davidson plays LCB. I don't think you lose a lot defensively with Sauerbrunn vs Dahlkemper at the RCB position. I do think you lose a bit more defensively with Davidson at LCB than Sauerbrunn. Offensively I think Dahlkemper and Davidson are better passers than Sauerbrunn. They will eventually be the CB pairing when Sauerbrunn steps down. But she's probably got a couple more years left. (Although Pierce/Rampone played til she was 40)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom