OT: USWNT pay | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: USWNT pay

Reaction Score
The women’s team’s pay is a mix of a base salary — $72,000 for the majority of players on the regular roster — plus a modest game bonus ($1,350) for each game won. (The women do not receive game bonuses if they tie or lose matches.) U.S. Soccer also pays the salaries of the national team players who compete in the N.W.S.L., the nascent American women’s professional league, as well as providing some health insurance benefits, severance pay for players cut from the team and maternity leave at half pay if they become pregnant.

The men, meanwhile, operate on a pay-for-play system: Those players who are called in for matches are eligible for roster and game bonuses considerably higher than those paid to the women, but a player must be called into camp to receive anything.

Pretty straight forward.

This was one of the problems many people had with who the WNT was calling in to camps. As some of the players got older or weren't really performing, they still got called into camp because of the "if we are paying their salaries, we ought to use them for the NT" thinking. So some of the younger up and coming players weren't called in or used because they weren't in that base salary group.

Yep, you're right. I don't think the league money though is really the basis for any part of the complaint. It is the bonus money. If the league money is $20k to $37k (i.e. Hope Solo--who is older--had a $20k salary before the contract was ripped up), that much is not going to be the difference. Solo could make almost $200k from winning games.

Reaction Score
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/22/sports/soccer/usmnt-uswnt-soccer-equal-pay.html?_r=0

How Are the Players Paid?
The pay plans differ for the men’s and women’s national teams, who have their own players’ associations and negotiate their own collective bargaining agreements. The women’s team’s pay is a mix of a base salary — $72,000 for the majority of players on the regular roster — plus a modest game bonus ($1,350) for each game won. (The women do not receive game bonuses if they tie or lose matches.) U.S. Soccer also pays the salaries of the national team players who compete in the N.W.S.L., the nascent American women’s professional league, as well as providing some health insurance benefits, severance pay for players cut from the team and maternity leave at half pay if they become pregnant.

The men, meanwhile, operate on a pay-for-play system: Those players who are called in for matches are eligible for roster and game bonuses considerably higher than those paid to the women, but a player must be called into camp to receive anything. So when Tim Howard took a year off after the 2014 World Cup, he earned no pay from U.S. Soccer for the games he missed. Any player who is injured, or one who is on the fringes of the national team player pool and is not called in for months or years, receives nothing until he returns to camp. The security net is that every male player in the pool, unlike the women, has the advantage of falling back on a lucrative salary from his professional club.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yep, you're right. I don't think the league money though is really the basis for any part of the complaint. It is the bonus money. If the league money is $20k to $37k (i.e. Hope Solo--who is older--had a $20k salary before the contract was ripped up), that much is not going to be the difference. Solo could make almost $200k from winning games.
Of course not. That's the problem with their complaint. They aren't acknowledging all the money the USSF is actually paying them when they complain about inequality. Not saying that there isn't inequality or that some things should probably change, but they are not being honest.

They are saying hey look at this inequality while pushing aside the "they also pay your club salary and basically prop up a league so you can play" part. They don't do that for the men. They really want to be "equal" and not get paid their salary and not have a league to play in and only get paid for actually being called in? Doubt it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Of course not. That's the problem with their complaint. They aren't acknowledging all the money the USSF is actually paying them when they complain about inequality. Not saying that there isn't inequality or that some things should probably change, but they are not being honest.

They are saying hey look at this inequality while pushing aside the "they also pay your club salary and basically prop up a league so you can play" part. They don't do that for the men. They really want to be "equal" and not get paid their salary and not have a league to play in and only get paid for actually being called in? Doubt it.

Yes, but how do you know they don't mention this? I mean, it is not a huge part of the compensation, so there's no skin off their back. It's $20-30k.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes, but how do you know they don't mention this? I mean, it is not a huge part of the compensation, so there's no skin off their back. It's $20-30k.
Because people like you are running around misrepresenting the facts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom